Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

nyone think he can really block this thing?

He's got two big problems (besides being a greedy A$$ jerk) even if he gets his signatures.

1) He is trying to get an Orange County vote to change a State Law. The Resort Tax money and how it's spent and how we determined what it is spent on is spelled out in a state law. A new county law doesn't trump state law.

2) State Law also says that new laws do not trump existing contracts. The signed agreements now in place constitute existing contracts.

The only thing he can legally do is cause a delay while they sort things out, which in turn could cause the cost to rise. Then he'll say that he told us it was too risky. Jerk!

Edited by cwetteland

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe this hasn't produced more chatter. This may be a greater potential threat to the venues than is Harris Rosen.

I'm still waiting for more clarification - this is a 180 for the Court and we'll have to see what the lawyers come up with. Given the special interests affected, I would not be surprised to see a move afoot to pass a joint resolution to amend the FL constitution during next year's session. Of course, they may have shot themselves in the foot because if they did approve a proposal to amend, it would now require 60% to pass instead of a simple majority when it reaches the voters.

There have already been myriad loopholes used to get around the present requirements, and I suspect we will now see new ones arise.

Mike Thomas seems to indicate in today's column that the arena will be unaffected and that DPAC could still be built with available revenues if the Citrus Bowl was tossed under the bus. This, if true, makes Theresa Jacobs' amendment all the more important.

For me, this is another reason, as one who sees DPAC as the most important of the three, why I have been quite unhappy with my fellow Democrats Buddy Dyer and Patty Sheehan on the way the 3 were bundled. I am willing to accept the arena and the Citrus Bowl as long as DPAC gets built - the one with unquestioned public support in poll after poll. If DPAC gets derailed to pad Rich DeVos' pockets and to repair a stadium without a team, I may be one of those going over to the dark side with Harris and Dougie. I hope it doesn't come to that.

from what i understand the vote is required for the TIF money and that money is mainly being used to finance to OPAC...so i dont see a problem....the voters favour the OPAC

One certainly hopes that is the case but two scenarios intervene: first, a historical one. Orlando has been trying to replace Bob Carr for 30 years and each time, despite the efforts of several skilled leaders including Bill Frederick (who has been the godfather of much of Orlando's modern infrastructure, including everything from OIA to sewers to the current arena to our latest City Hall), things never quite fell into place against Doug Guetzloe and his Ax the Tax minions. Secondly, one wonders if a skillful demagogue like Harris Rosen can tie discontent against Rich DeVos and the Citrus Bowl's lack of use back to the vote on DPAC if it may go down in flames. There is a reason these projects were bundled as they were. Support for DPAC became the only way to convince Orange Countians to accept two projects they largely felt were "gilding" the lilies. I would like to believe everything will be just fine but I've been waiting since Bob Carr was renovated in 1978 as an "interim" measure, and please forgive my skepticism as a result.

[This is the same note for all of my picture posts today] I'm in town for a few days and today I went for a ride around downtown to see what's new. I took a few pictures as I drove around and the weather turned pretty crappy, so I'm not too proud of these shots...but at least you'll get an idea of what's happening.

img4990eh7.jpg

[This is the same note for all of my picture posts today] I'm in town for a few days and today I went for a ride around downtown to see what's new. I took a few pictures as I drove around and the weather turned pretty crappy, so I'm not too proud of these shots...but at least you'll get an idea of what's happening.

img4990eh7.jpg

Yep. It was hard to see the area all cleared out! Very exciting. They took down the building on south and division sometime last week.

anyone know whats going on with the 2 houses who are battling it out in court for cash? Hope they meet halfway and both parties are happy.

Venues imperiled by twin threats

The plan isn't a sure thing as a court ruling and hotelier Harris Rosen test its legality.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...rl_tab01_layout

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosen wants voters to amend the county charter so politicians would have to hold a referendum before spending more than $25 million on a sports arena or stadium.

If he add convention centre and PAC in it, I would sort of agree that he has no personal agenda.

Architect: Center will suit Orlando

Elizabeth Maupin Sentinel Staff Writer

September 21, 2007

Barton Myers has no interest in building icons.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...rl_tab01_layout

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO INTEREST IN BUILDING ICONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is sad news of the day.

I think the article hints at some very exciting possibilities.... Canals running through the center from Lake lucerne, big broad porches, arcades (that would be a passage or walkway covered over by a succession of arches or vaults supported by columns... somthing we see all over Orlando). He also mentions building somthing distinctly southern.

I liken it to having a custom designed suit tailored exactly to your liking. Instead of something coverd in glitter and wearing hot pants.

ex. of Arcade

435px-DirkvdM_havana_gallery.jpg

Edited by RedStar25

The article keep mentioning NJPAC and NJPAC is hideous.

We need an icon downtown to get people there. People will take a special trip to see Disney Concert Hall or Sydney Opera House. Nobody gonna take a special trip to see NJPAC.

so we are going to spend 425 millions on something plain.

Have you ever been to NJPAC?

A friend of mine worked on the Organ at the Disney hall and said while it is a cool building the inside leaves much to be desierd functionaly and acustically.

again I say we hold judement untill we see a rendering

Edited by RedStar25

Have you ever been to NJPAC?

A friend of mine worked on the Organ at the Disney hall and said while it is a cool building the inside leaves much to be desierd functionaly and acustically.

again I say we hold judement untill we see a rendering

I think the NJPAC looks like a baseball stadium. Hopefully our southern flavor will cause it to look nothing like theirs.

The article is promising. I do not want some icon where the architect puts up whatever he wants and it does not take in the surrounding environment. Most of those "iconic" buildings look like crap to me.

Anyway, no matter what is built, a lot of people wil like it, others will hate it.

Edited by jack