Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

The property is owned by First United Methodist Church and us currently the home of the Wesly Childhood development Center. The Center will be moved into the building currently under renovation caty-corner this lot. The Church is looking into options for the land that most likely will include a highrise 14-20 floors.

The church has owned this particular piece of property for over 125 years. The two buildings currently there where built in the 1940s and 50s. One being designated as a Fallout Shelter. The small Parking lot was the site of FUMC's second sanctuary. Built in 1913 and SADLY torn down in the 70s.

Edited by RedStar25

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is ironic that one of the shows that the OPAC said they couldn't get without a newer, larger venue is "The Lion King," and it is now playing at the Bob Carr. They said it wouldn't come to Orlando. Ooops.

What is going into the Carr I'm told is a scaled back production. (Much the same way that the Oklahoma revival scaled back after hitting us to play theatres like the King Center the next season). Hitting the second tier cities was the phrase I heard. I'll know more tomorrow night about the truth of that, and shall report back.

Edited by Boomer136

I apologize to the forum, I am guilty of perpetuating what was obviously pure conjecture. Lion King is the full 23 truck show, including the march down the center aisles. The more experienced may ask what aisles... the aisles created by the removal of over 200 seats, with attending door modifications, etc...

True all will be shoehorned in as usual, but the important part of that sentence is "all".

I pledge to be more diligent in the future.

I apologize to the forum, I am guilty of perpetuating what was obviously pure conjecture. Lion King is the full 23 truck show, including the march down the center aisles. The more experienced may ask what aisles... the aisles created by the removal of over 200 seats, with attending door modifications, etc...

True all will be shoehorned in as usual, but the important part of that sentence is "all".

I pledge to be more diligent in the future.

Thanks for the clarification, Boomer.

Either way, the Carr still sucks.

When are they razing the old CNL tower, should be fun to watch?

Don't inhale to hold your breath yet. Enjoy the couple of birthdays that you will have between now and then. It seems for every one thing that we are sure of on CNL, there are two that we are not. The only thing thats remotely clear at this point is that it will be built and who's doing it.

Don't inhale to hold your breath yet. Enjoy the couple of birthdays that you will have between now and then. It seems for every one thing that we are sure of on CNL, there are two that we are not. The only thing thats remotely clear at this point is that it will be built and who's doing it.

That seems to be true of most projects in Orlando these days.

Thanks for the clarification, Boomer.

Either way, the Carr still sucks.

Perhaps 'sucks' is too strong a term. Like any 'multi-purpose' performance space, it turns into a 'multi-compromised' space.

The deck is too shallow, the procenium could use an extra 8' width or so. Those are structural issues about which nothing cost effective can be done.

But other than that, trying to have a space that can handle touring broadway, rock & jazz concerts, opera, symphonic concerts, ballet, graduation ceremonies, and Miss Julie's dance recital unfortunately means a collection of compromises. See how the Carr can continue serving the arts community. Get a Regional Theatre company. Have a place for Mad Cow, Orlando Rep and the Shakespeare Festival to take larger more popular productions. Or book straight play tours from off-broadway. Or book more children's theatre like the Care Bears while the adults have something to go to. How nice would it be to have a choice of Lion King, OB Nutcracker, The Rockettes Christmas Show, The Philharmonic Christmas Program, and someone's production of A Christmas Carol (someone ALWAYS wants to do one of those) all playing at the same time? In addition to the shows at Mad Cow, the Comedy Club, SAK, Theatre Downtown, the Garage Theatre and the theatres on the lake. All 'between the hospitals!' Give the Carr a focus, and she won't suck, if indeed you think she does now.

The thing I don't like to hear is when the new PAC is built the Carr becomes a parking lot. Keep the Carr I say. The new media village will still be a mostly day thing, things going on at night sure, but slower, so the parking should be available. A screen in the flies, some good projectors, and you have a 2400 seat multi-media presentation hall that is a use to the arts & media community, and still fufilling other compatable roles. The really expensive parts of a theatre are already there, done, and in good condition. A foolish waste to chuck it.

First United Methodist has just inlisted a major architectural firm from NYC to give an overview of thier Current Campus. Including the Land OPAC wants to redevelope and the two buildings that butt against the Grand Bohemian.

The later of wich may one day be home to a new 14-20 storie highrise.

The current building under renovation is nearing completion. It has a rounded glass curtain wall facing south street and new cladding to match the buildings across the street from it.

I hope the church recives a beutification award for this project becuse this building has gone through an amazing rebuild. The change from a year ago is absolutly amazing.

I say Bravo FUMCO.... Bravo!

(even if you only get two years use out of it!)

I wonder how they will resolve the issue of extending Magnolia to the south. Obviously, the PAC design currently shows Magnolia to be closed off.

I'm sure you all read yesterday's article in the Sentinel regarding the Magnolia plans of "to close" and "not to close." Would it be possible to raise the PAC a bit and extend Magnola somewhat underground, beneath the complex? Especially if what it looks like there in the illustration is the entrance to main hall. Grand stairs leading up into the main halls could partially hide the fact that a road runs beneath.

Edited by WeNeed2Progress

Perhaps 'sucks' is too strong a term. Like any 'multi-purpose' performance space, it turns into a 'multi-compromised' space.

The deck is too shallow, the procenium could use an extra 8' width or so. Those are structural issues about which nothing cost effective can be done.

But other than that, trying to have a space that can handle touring broadway, rock & jazz concerts, opera, symphonic concerts, ballet, graduation ceremonies, and Miss Julie's dance recital unfortunately means a collection of compromises. See how the Carr can continue serving the arts community. Get a Regional Theatre company. Have a place for Mad Cow, Orlando Rep and the Shakespeare Festival to take larger more popular productions. Or book straight play tours from off-broadway. Or book more children's theatre like the Care Bears while the adults have something to go to. How nice would it be to have a choice of Lion King, OB Nutcracker, The Rockettes Christmas Show, The Philharmonic Christmas Program, and someone's production of A Christmas Carol (someone ALWAYS wants to do one of those) all playing at the same time? In addition to the shows at Mad Cow, the Comedy Club, SAK, Theatre Downtown, the Garage Theatre and the theatres on the lake. All 'between the hospitals!' Give the Carr a focus, and she won't suck, if indeed you think she does now.

The thing I don't like to hear is when the new PAC is built the Carr becomes a parking lot. Keep the Carr I say. The new media village will still be a mostly day thing, things going on at night sure, but slower, so the parking should be available. A screen in the flies, some good projectors, and you have a 2400 seat multi-media presentation hall that is a use to the arts & media community, and still fufilling other compatable roles. The really expensive parts of a theatre are already there, done, and in good condition. A foolish waste to chuck it.

Fair assesment. I understand that as a multipurpose facility, it gives up specialization in any one domain. For most purposes, however, I'd still maintain its 'sucking' status. This is coming from the perspective of a musican and an audience member, where my biggest concerns are accoustics and sightlines.

I'm with you on keeping it though. No matter how many flaws there are or aren't with the space, there's no use in razing it if there's still a use for it. I say play it by ear, see how relevent the venue is if/when the PAC is complete. If there's demand for it, great. If Dyer's 'creative village' takes off and some uber-development wants to incorporate it, great. I think a parking lot is probably last thing on most people's minds.

Fair assesment. I understand that as a multipurpose facility, it gives up specialization in any one domain. For most purposes, however, I'd still maintain its 'sucking' status. This is coming from the perspective of a musican and an audience member, where my biggest concerns are accoustics and sightlines.

I'm with you on keeping it though. No matter how many flaws there are or aren't with the space, there's no use in razing it if there's still a use for it. I say play it by ear, see how relevent the venue is if/when the PAC is complete. If there's demand for it, great. If Dyer's 'creative village' takes off and some uber-development wants to incorporate it, great. I think a parking lot is probably last thing on most people's minds.

perhaps even a redesign down the road to make better acoustics, sightlines and mechanics. big "perhaps", but we can always remain hopeful. i kinda have sentimental ties to the place. it was the first place i had ever heard a live symphony when i was like 8 years old. that was back in the days of the orange, yellow and fuscia interior looking like some lost set of a buck rogers episode.

^Actually shouldn't be too expensive. There are spaces off to the sides of the audience area that act like resonators. The problem is that high frequencies are absorbed and have a shorter decay time than lower freq's, especially around the 250-400 Hz range. This is normal, but I think these side spaces are one of the reasons it is so out of whack. Some drywall work to de-couple those spaces would go a long way. If you notice I'm suggesting drying the room out more, which would make it even worse for live (acoustic) music. But after the new OPAC is built, there will be a concert hall for that.

I'm sure you all read yesterday's article in the Sentinel regarding the Magnolia plans of "to close" and "not to close." Would it be possible to raise the PAC a bit and extend Magnola somewhat underground, beneath the complex? Especially if what it looks like there in the illustration is the entrance to main hall. Grand stairs leading up into the main halls could partially hide the fact that a road runs beneath.

great idea.

I say make it go underground as well; keep it open; it'll be cool; it will make DT a little more interesting having a tunnel and all.

sounds cool, but i doubt this would happen as the city is currently digging up sewage lines in that area to prep for the building of the pac.

Quick! Someone tell someone our suggestion! Actually, if the PAC was elevated enough, there could be parking beneath the entire structure accessible from the subterranean/ tunneled portion of Magnolia. There could even be a LYMMO stop in there for the entire complex.

While we're jacking up the whole PAC to fit a one-lane one-way road underneath it, parking, and a Lymmo stop, let's go ahead and put the new arena underneath there too. As far as subterranean tunnels go, maybe there's a reason why there's only one of those in the whole state of Florida...