Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

pekin_004.jpg

This is the Beijing Performing Arts Center. I would LOVE to see this in Orlando. Also, great article in the NY Times about Miami's emergence as an architectural mecca. I think Orlando can do as well if not better.

pekin_004.jpg

This is the Beijing Performing Arts Center. I would LOVE to see this in Orlando. Also, great article in the NY Times about Miami's emergence as an architectural mecca. I think Orlando can do as well if not better.

Hmm... the pics not showing. Let us know where else we can find it. Thanks for sharing!

This reminds me of that old movie Logan's Run. Don't they, like, kill people in there when they get too old?

I'm not walking into something like that. Not of my own free will. :D

Logan's Run was on XM yesterday....nice reference

I think the whole city was domed....it was a post-apocalyptic movie...

That's sweet! But don't forget, our PAC will be something that will "fit in with surrounding Orlando architecture." *yawn* Hopefully it won't be too boring... or Mediterranean Revival. Seriously, what's with the Med. Revival in the area?

Well, progress I used to think that the Mediterranean/Spanish architectural influence was exclusively a nod to the fact that the spanish used to once own 'La Florida.' You can imagine my dismary when I discovered Spanish Revival in Manhattan on Upper 5th Avenue!!! Turns out that back in the 1920's (maybe as a result of the Spanish American war) this architectural style was a very popular style in the United States, right before Art Deco/Art Modern emergeand heightened interest in that architectural style and was a result of the Columbia Exposition in Chicago in 1898 in which all architectural styles reflected back upon European tradition. Spanish Revival was also part of the NeoClassical movement out of which most of Washington, DC's monuments emerged. I'm guessing that it stuck in Florida because there was not much of an architectural vernacular in place outside of traditional Florida "cracker" architecture and that wasn't as grand or as durable as the faux Spanish styles were. The style remains common in areas that were once under Spanish control in the U.S.

That's sweet! But don't forget, our PAC will be something that will "fit in with surrounding Orlando architecture." *yawn* Hopefully it won't be too boring... or Mediterranean Revival. Seriously, what's with the Med. Revival in the area?

I really don't care too much how the centre looks. I'm more interested in the quality of the productions that will go on inside. Also, how the artists of Orlando use the smaller venues for local shows.

I really don't care too much how the centre looks. I'm more interested in the quality of the productions that will go on inside. Also, how the artists of Orlando use the smaller venues for local shows.

Why didn't Orlando just expand Loch Haven Park? I know that the PAC is better situated Downtown, but why not expand on the investment already made? Also, is there any chance that the Orlando Museum of Art could get an upgrade as well.

Edited by mrh3

Why didn't Orlando just expand Loch Haven Park? I know that the PAC is better situated Downtown, but why not expand on the investment already made? Also, is there any chance that the Orlando Museum of Art could get an upgrade as well.

I don't think there's such a thing as 'expanding on the investment' in terms of Loch Haven. The complex doesn't have enough land area as it is. I love the park, and the venues, as does most of Orlando that's experienced it, and I think it would be a mistake to try and add to it - the end result could crowd it and ruin the charm that's there. It's quaint, it's old Florida.

I think we're better off having multiple venues for performing arts. And we do need an urban venue. That's one of the rewards to urban living.

As for OMA however, I'm all for adding a couple of stories to it. Or starting from scratch.

To add, all three facilities will be making presentations to city/county officials. Expect the Arena/PAC to get the most money.

I hope we don't end up with mediocre facilities because there wasn't enough money for all three projects to be developed simultaneously.

bic,

I've been told both the arena and the PAC will be world class facilities. The rumor out there is the arena has a big donation coming what will shock people. This is from some reliable sources, whether it happens or not who knows. The state will give around 40-60 Million with DeVos (who has been speculated as the big donation) giving up to 100M (realisitically around 50M) leaving the county to give 300 mill to the project. Which will be plenty to fund an adequate state of the art venue. (The newest arena in the country was around $300)

As for the PAC I would expect a world class facility, however, I wouldn't expect the early plans to be anything on par with what will happen. They want 900 Million for what they have planned. In reality the new PAC will be around 450 Million, with around 300 Million coming from the tourist tax (Which is about what they are projecting now) and the rest coming from various donors. Overall it will still be a world class venue that I cannot wait to see. (Miami's recent PAC cost $450M)

As for the Citrus Bowl, they have a very very weak case. The Arena and PAC clearly have priority and both will get the money first because they have tenants that can fill them for more than 100 dates a year unlike the Citrus Bowl which is basing their whole plan on 3 (maybe 4) events a year. As much as I'd like to see the work done, unless they are able to convince an NFL team or make it in to a convertable baseball/football stadium and lure the D-rays it probably will have to find other sources to pay for their venue.

Edited by Magicfan95

If the full block plan is to be realised the city must first purchase the land owned by the First United Methodist Church, and help redevelope a portion of there land, at a substantial price.

If you all are not aware the Church is currently undergoing an $8 million dollar campus renovation. A heavy portion of which is being used on the building occupying the PAC site.

Interesting plan, makes a good read

I had no idea that they were going for up to 4 high-rises like this

If they can build the hotel to compete with Westin Grand Bohemian next door, plus a new CNL tower and 2 residential towers, I think it's safe to say City Commons will officially become the social and cultural hub of downtown, hands down

This is just what downtown needs plus Premiere Trade Plaza and the rbirth of Church Street will make this area so wonderfully significant

Now concerning a new arena, if they can build a new one, presumably on the site of the current (Magic can play in Tampa for 1 or 2 seasons) and then raze the area of the old Bob Carr, a new entertainment district can easily rise from the ashes

I'm sure they will find a way to get funding for a new arena, Magic and supporters in general have been beotching about it far too long for it not to materialize

It's an awesome time for Orlando, no doubt about it

We're ready to play with the big boys now

Bring it

Now concerning a new arena, if they can build a new one, presumably on the site of the current (Magic can play in Tampa for 1 or 2 seasons) and then raze the area of the old Bob Carr, a new entertainment district can easily rise from the ashes

I think that if Orlando gets a new arena (and I think we will), I'd say there is a 75% chance it will be located near International Drive thanks to the private financial backing it will have. Not the best case scenario, in my opinion, but it's better than seeing the Magic leave town.

I think that if Orlando gets a new arena (and I think we will), I'd say there is a 75% chance it will be located near International Drive thanks to the private financial backing it will have. Not the best case scenario, in my opinion, but it's better than seeing the Magic leave town.

I hope it's not in tourist land on International Drive. The same thing will happen to the Magic as happened to the Orlando Rays when they moved from Tinker Field to Disney's Cracker Jack Stadium. It's too far from the population base of the Metro area and they will lose fans. In the Orlando Rays case the move was farther and there was a smaller fan base. The Magic would see the same result on a much smaller scale though. The center of population in the metro area is around North Winter Park. It has crept slowly to the South over the years but is still centered North of Orlando. About 10 to 15 years ago it was in Maitland. Most people don't mind driving to downtown to see a game etc..., but moving the arena to the South end of town and putting it in the tourist corridor would make some people change their mind about going to a game.

I can't see a new arena going anywhere but downtown.

Here's my $.02:

If the Orena were to move to I-Drive, it would be to compliment the OCCC complex, i.e., to create another GWCC with all the arena/CC space in one giant facility. It would be incredible when you think about it. It would also make it easier to host major events like the RNC or DNC if everything is closeby, with big hotels too.

Do I wish all of this were in downtown like in Atlanta? Yes, but its not.

And that's another major problem with DT ORL: there aren't enough hotels there (b/c there is no CC in DT). We're like last in line between Miami, Tampa, and Jax with regard to DT hotels. Westin, Embassy, old Radisson, Courtyard, *Lexington conversion of Holiday Inn, *Capital Plaza's Hampton, and *Marriott's 300 room proposal to replace the old one, just don't cut it... or do they?