Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

A great blog from the Sentinel tonight:

"Mission Accomplished - Vision Fulfilled!" - Mayor Richard Crotty

Wow. Honestly, I am awestruck. Congratulations to Orange County and all of the Citizens of Orlando and Central Florida. A major step has just been taken to help propel us into the future. I would like to take the time to thank some of the players involved in this process:

THANK YOU Buddy Dyer for having the continued vision for the proper growth and management of this city. Your leadership and vision has changed Orlando for the better forever. The idea of packaging the three venues together was a bold, risky move, but it will allow for all to move forward NOW, rather than languish in political muck for years to come.

THANK YOU Rich Crotty for moving beyond city/county rival politics and joining forces with Mayor Dyer to get this done (And thanks for basically telling Ken McAvoy to shove it for his gloom and doom presentation, and for moving tonight's meeting along).

THANK YOU Commissioners Stewart, Segal, Jacobs, and Fernandez for having the courage to turn your back on Harris Rosen, for the efforts made in overseeing this complicated process, for being the leaders that we elected you to be, for pushing the Magic to step up to the plate, and for voting YES for these venues!

THANK YOU Orlando Magic for stepping up when called on by providing gymnasiums for Orange County and pledging to "Go Green" with these venues. It would have been easy to say "Give us what we want or we're leaving", but I think the organization came out looking like they were a team player in this process.

THANK YOU Harris Rosen for... well... nothing. Actually, how about a hopeful "Thank you" in advance for allowing the process to move forward now that the vote has passed. Please go back quietly to your hotels and do not become another Doug Guetzloe.

THANK YOU to all of the contributors who have raised over $80 million so far for the Performing Arts Center. Your unprecedented generosity will be remembered for generations to come.

THANK YOU Orlando Sentinel for providing 50 gazillion reasons why we need these venues. Although I thought that some of the articles were stretching it a bit (I can almost see staffers sitting around the newsroom.... "Hey, can we write an article about how these new venues will end the war in Iraq?"), I appreciate the civic contributions of the newspaper in this process.

THANK YOU Scott Maxwell, for being a level-headed voice of reason during this time - for example, asking the Magic to pony up more money, then recognizing their efforts when the gymnasiums were added to the proposal. Your commentary helps to balance this newspaper, and balance is always good (And kudos for the live commission meeting blog).

THANK YOU Monsters in the Morning on Real Radio 104.1. This morning they dedicated their entire show to allowing everyone - both proponents and supporters of the venues, to voice their opinions this morning and providing the most open forum I've heard on this process.

AND THANK YOU to all the citizens who participated in the process, let their voices be heard, contacted their elected officials, and voiced their support for the construction of these venues.

I can't wait to see these get built. Today was a monumental day in the history of this beautiful city.

I especially like the thanks for nothing to Harris Rosen and forewarning the birth of a new Doug Guetzloe.

Stole my comparison

What's up with Rosen threatening to sue? :o That guy is so self-interested.

I got into a huge argument today with a guy at work about him. He said, "well he donated 2.5 mil to the local jewish community center." To which I replied, "and that helps me HOW?"

VENUES are universal / public, whereas a 2.5 mil JCC is not. I really am starting to dislike Rosen more and more. :angry:

I'm not in any way defending Rosen, but the JCC helps more than just Jewish families. Hell, most of the kids that go to school there aren't Jewish.

I wonder if he's seriously going to sue for a referendum. . .I'm sure he was watching today, and saw exactly how many citizens were FOR the downtown venues(and how many applauded that the referendum amendment got turned down), does he still have hopes of changing their minds? As far as suing to delay building dates, I don't think that would happen either. It's just a dumb and selfish move on his part, and I think people will see through it pretty easily.

Edited by frankieb96

just wanted to congratulate all you guys who are able to experience this first hand back home. i am envious. but i also want to thank all of you for your part in getting this done for i know UP had some influence! hail forum!!

This is really an exciting day! I just feel like there is this little grey cloud of the threatened Rosen lawsuit hanging out there. I really hope this is a non-factor. I would love to have some "Boycott Rosen" bumper stickers printed up.

The other thing from yesterday that's really bugging me is the guy from Reed Exhibitions. The paint doesnt even seem dry yet on the convention center expansion and he's claiming the industry is being ignored. He's going on about not enough quality restaurants close by! Ok, Orange County....let's build a Steak House!

great news indeed.

I'd like to see renderings of this thing asap...

I know some people who might be building in part of this development too. I heard some stuff a few months back but we'll see... the office and resid. climate has changed since then.

but, this project(s), + CFRAIL will be a HUGE deal.