Orlando Citrus Bowl Stadium [Renovation Completed]

jc_perez2003

Here's my point.....where would they go?? What market is big enough & has a stadium ready for a baseball team to move into? A few years ago they placed a team in San Juan, PR because there was no viable market in the US. The Marlins are talking about claiming San Antonio & that's a smaller market than Tampa.

Tampa is a good size market, and if the Devil Rays are the local team for Orlando it's a huge market. The reason people don't go to the games isn't because of location & the stadium, or because the market is oversaturated it's because this team has never finished out of the basement. You have to blame ownership for that.

There is no NFL team in Los Angeles, yet they have a huge market with a lot more money than Central Florida. Size of market really isnt an issue, but they did choose Tampa over Orlando based on that... and they also realized it was a wrong choice.

The team will move if the commisioner doesnt agree with the owner on their stlye and requests to move the team. If no one goes to the games you can bet that the team will be leaving. The Marlins will leave Miami, and they are already speculating the departure of the Devil Rays, not that it will happen, there is just an extreme likelyhood of it. And I doubt the Devil Rays would ever be the team of Orlando.... We love the Yankees and Red Sox and Mets.... We are all from up north or Puerto Rico....

Oh and about PR, it was never a viable market... there is no money there.... well legal money.

I think that this "City" should grow up and start thinking big... the growth is constant... these small minded individuals need to go to the country if they dont want to experience this lifestyle instead of impeading on the future of the rest of us.

The Devil Rays have already talked about moving to Orlando in the past. If we built a stadium, they would take the risk. Next season they have a chance to opt out of the Trop lease.

There are a lot of northerners here that are fans of other teams and that is the reason why the Devil Rays (the record and locale doesn't help either) have had such a hard time building a fan base.

I think that they would have similar attendance in Orlando and they would have great growth if (big IF in the AL East) they ever put together a consistent team.

The difference between baseball and basketball is the event. Basketball games you go and watch. Baseball in most cases is outdoors (or should be IMO) and on summer nights when kids are out of school, etc. They have entertainment in between innings, more relaxed, etc.

There has been talk of removing the lower area of the Citrus Bowl and making it a new "Japenese Super Arena" outdoor setting. That is a venue that can retract from football to baseball without looking like a cookie cutter stadium of the 70s. Will it happen, probably not. The funding should be focused on the PAC and Arena 1st.

No doubt in my mind that the Devil Rays owners would consider Orlando if they tried to move or Orlando made it available. The market in St. Pete stinks and as long as Steinbrenner is the owner of the Yankees, his pull in Hillsborough is enough to keep them out of there.

(sorry this is all over the place, gotta run to a lunch meeting)

Edited by Magicfan95

There is no NFL team in Los Angeles, yet they have a huge market with a lot more money than Central Florida. Size of market really isnt an issue, but they did choose Tampa over Orlando based on that... and they also realized it was a wrong choice.

The team will move if the commisioner doesnt agree with the owner on their stlye and requests to move the team. If no one goes to the games you can bet that the team will be leaving. The Marlins will leave Miami, and they are already speculating the departure of the Devil Rays, not that it will happen, there is just an extreme likelyhood of it. And I doubt the Devil Rays would ever be the team of Orlando.... We love the Yankees and Red Sox and Mets.... We are all from up north or Puerto Rico....

Oh and about PR, it was never a viable market... there is no money there.... well legal money.

I think that this "City" should grow up and start thinking big... the growth is constant... these small minded individuals need to go to the country if they dont want to experience this lifestyle instead of impeading on the future of the rest of us.

Los Angeles doesn't want an NFL team. I don't know if Tampa Bay wants one either, but they have one now, and there's really no where they can go. I don't think MLB is going to fold the team.

Los Angeles doesn't want an NFL team. I don't know if Tampa Bay wants one either, but they have one now, and there's really no where they can go. I don't think MLB is going to fold the team.

That is ludacris... LA has been on the NFL's huevos since the 90's for a team! MLB will force a move like they are going to in Miami. Read up on the events...

That is ludacris... LA has been on the NFL's huevos since the 90's for a team! MLB will force a move like they are going to in Miami. Read up on the events...

That's flat out wrong. The NFL went to LA to try to get an expansion team started and no one in LA was interested in getting a new stadium built, so the NFL went to Houston instead.

The PAC sounds amazing, though I don't like the idea of closing that section of Magnolia. There are plenty of ways to incorporate roads with plazas (ie Lincoln Road Mall, South Beach).

Tell me .As i read in the paper this project wouldnt be finished till 2012 i think.Why would it take so long to build?

Tell me .As i read in the paper this project wouldnt be finished till 2012 i think.Why would it take so long to build?

"Arts-center leaders already have chosen architect Barton Myers Associates, but the performance halls won't be designed until a funding plan is approved. They're pushing an ambitious schedule, with construction of the center from 2007 to 2010 and completion of the private development in 2012."

Three years for this huge of a project seems very reasonable. Only the private development is slated to be finished later, which in terms of happening, is a total crap-shoot anyway.

What really stuck out for me on the PAC article was that this was a 100 year venue, not one that gets rebuilt in 20 years. Something we are building for our grandchildren. What is done differently for a 100 year venue? Sounds like quality materials. Lots of marble and granite and less sheet rock. It better look good if we're gonna be looking at it that long. :) Then again at my age and by the time it gets built, I'll only get 30-35 years of viewing pleasure. My kids have a shot at 60, so it really is for the grandkids (whenever they show up).

Edited by cwetteland

That's flat out wrong. The NFL went to LA to try to get an expansion team started and no one in LA was interested in getting a new stadium built, so the NFL went to Houston instead.

No one wants to fork over the cash to do it.... If you ever pay attention to the news in the NFL you will still see today that there is immense interest in getting a team there. Its a metro of 14 million people without a team, I am absolutly sure now that you have said it that there is no interest in having a team there... Yet they always have specials on ESPN about how the NFL is trying to get LA a team. But I guess they dont know what they are talking about on ESPN, I wouldnt expect a sports news channel to know anything about the NFL... they have been conning me for years.... I just wonder about some people on these boards...

To keep this related to the topic....

I think the Perfrorming Arts Center is the most important piece of this vision. The Arena is second... But we should start planning for a future baseball or football team here. It is going to happen someday...

Regarding the new Citrus Bowl, I would love to see something along the lines of the Allianz Arena in Germany. This is one of the most futuristic arenas in the world and is a testament to 21st C sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Allianz...acombo.jpg#file

I'm not really a fan of that stadium. It looks like a big colored pill. I'm a fan of the more classic stadiums like Soldier field in Chicago. They need to renovate everything on the inside of the Citrus Bowl and give it an awesome facade.

There isn't really a concorse either. It's really, really ghetto. We probably need to work on that too.

RE: the Hundred Year lifespan for the PAC.....

Good idea....do it right the first time....make it the best PAC possible...the last thing we need is another Bob Carr.

I feel the same about the arena and Citrus Bowl...let's not build another crappy "O-Rena".....it needs to be the best possible arena...the top arena in the league....not designed for the standards of today, but one that sets the standards for tomorrow (Much like The Palace of Auburn Hills did when it opened)...if we are going to do it, we need to do it right....because the new arena needs to last longer than the O-Rena has....

Have you seen the new Soldier Field? First of all Chicago is arguably the most architecturally sophisticated city in the U.S. and they threw out the Neo Classical model. Not to mention the fact that when Soldier Field was constructed it was part of an overall building program including the Art Institute, the Adler Planetarium and the Field Museum all in the same style. Anyway, the new Soldier Field actually lost its historic designation because the adjustments were so dramatic that it is no longer historically relevant. That's called pushing the envelope. And while I may not be the biggest fan of its new incarnation (It looks like a UFO landed on top of it). I commend them for seeking a forward not backward architectural language. Orlando being a city that came of age in the late 20th C. would merely be reflecting its place in the world by using cutting-edge architectural styles.

Soldier Field Link

Edited by mrh3

I guess classical wasn't the right word.

My point is, when I drive down the 408 in 5 years, I dont want to see that. There is nothing around the Citrus Bowl and there won't be for a while. So that design would stick out like a sore thumb.

I completely agree with Orlando coming of age in the 20th Century how we should show it. But if we are looking for something modern and cutting edge we can do way better than that.

IMO, an older looking facade would be an interesting fit for that side of town.

I guess classical wasn't the right word.

My point is, when I drive down the 408 in 5 years, I dont want to see that. There is nothing around the Citrus Bowl and there won't be for a while. So that design would stick out like a sore thumb.

I completely agree with Orlando coming of age in the 20th Century how we should show it. But if we are looking for something modern and cutting edge we can do way better than that.

IMO, an older looking facade would be an interesting fit for that side of town.

That's too bad, I would love to see something like that hovering above the tree line changing colors to reflect the seasons or holidays. I think it would make an amazing foreground to Orlando's rising skyline as well. Regarding architectural language, I don't know drewj, you can't have it both ways. You can't have modern and cutting edge and an older looking facade at the same time. Besides have you ever walked around that area? It's nothing but lower middle class and middle class cinder one story block houses. Oh, and a charming array of of industrial warehouses.

If the OPAC is smart they will have an international design competition. Who knows what they could come up with. I like the design, but that might take up more land that is available for the project.

I was just looking at designs for the Beijing games in 2008. The stadium is pretty crazy. I agree with the international desing competition. You've sold me on the more modern idea...

Link to Beijing Stadium

I cant say I like either of the two stadiums or arenas posted on here. I am personally a fan of the American Airlines Arena down in Miami. That place is sweet!

It ain't bad, but you're have a helluva time trying to host a BCS game there.

I don't know if this would work or is even necessary in Orlando, but the consultant hired to execute the OPAC also worked on the NJPAC in Newark, NJ and included residential towers to house performers at below market rate rents. I think this is a great idea because Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan has two large towers that were constructed by the city to house entertainers and performers.

Go to stadiumsofnfl.com

This will show all past, present and future stadiums nationwide

Gives a good idea of how the Citrus Bowl looks in contrast to say Houlihan Stadium Tampa and Foxboro Mass

The new stadiums which I would say practically every team has by now are amazing looking

The contrast for example from Houlihan to Raymond James for the Bucs or Mile High to Invesco for the Broncos is amazing

I think it would be spectacular for Orlando to have something look like Gillette or Heinz but right now, I just don't see it realistically happen

However, I do not believe a new stadium needs to be built from the ground up

Alltel in Jacksonville is the original Gator Bowl, they just tore down the old metal seating areas but left a giant concrete/ stell addition built in the early 80's and just built the new facility around it and that place is amazing

All we really need is to have the Saints move here from New Orleans

To have an NFC South team here to directly compete one on one with the Bucs in the same division would bring an epic rivalry that would compare in scope to the medieval crusades

God knows we don't need another AFC team here, just don't see anything in it for this particular region but who knows, the Charges are threatning to leave San Diego (which I would celebrate) if they don't get their new stadium in the next 5 years so who knows, maybe we can all rally somehow

God knows LA doesn't deserve crap

It's a suck city in every way and if they couldn't keep the Rams or keep the Raiders satisfied, then LA deserves to lack NFL exposure as much as it deserves to have a 10.5 earthquake put it out of its misery

Orlando is far more deserving, we are a football state and we will not disappoint

Bring us the Saints or Charges and lets get it on

Ahhhh.......one can dream