New DTC bonus height plan

smeagolsfree

If downtown development is limited, in particular residential development, to a great extent, either more stick frame / wrap product will be built in residential neighborhoods (creating a ton a traffic), or if neighborhood groups completely halt development, then single family homes will be snatched up, pricing will skyrocket, and single family homes will be built from here to Franklin. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately there’s pro’s and con’s with everything, this DTC bonus height program is no exception. I’m 50/50 with the whole thing, I do understand a lot of what is being said, but the jury is still out for now. I don’t mind the above ground parking in a sense that it gives us added height in most projects ( in some cases 8-10 stories worth) which in my book is always a good thing! But on a serious note, if it’s going to cause a bunch of long awaited projects to come to an end and not get built, that’s not a good thing. Especially with housing in the core, like Nashvylle is saying we will see substantial growth of subdivisions for miles . Sprawl will be overwhelming 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

This is not a done deal, so speak out now and raise hell now if you do not like the plan. I know who some of you are and you represent some companies that have a legitimate say in the matter and I know there are others that read the board that are probably highly upset with planning and the Council. The problem is they are trying to get this done while the current council is in office and a lot of these folks will be out of office after this thing passes, but a lot of these same people are running for office as well. Money talks and BS walks if you know what I mean, and it has to pass council either way, so those running for reelection need to hear the voices in opposition and know what your thoughts are.

My thoughts were the same as you can't do all of the parking elimination without mass transit in place. Only short-sighted people like our current mayor try to push things like this. I am surprised that Freddie endorsed some of the parking elimination plan as well. It is not as much about the parking as it is about the traffic. There is no plan to fix the traffic and no plan in sight and not even a thought of a plan. People have to have a way to get around town if there is not parking for cars and the bus system SUCKS. If I am at Vandy and I want to go to East Nashville it is easier for me to bike than bus, but not safer. That is the problem with the leadership. Everything is through rose-colored glasses. We have bike lanes that no one uses because they are not safe. Buses that no one uses because they do not run often enough or go where you need them to go.

People have to be able to get to a doctor’s appointment without relying on Uber. I wouldn’t be against the current draft if land values and purchases weren’t based on the former version. I, for one, want the streets to tell us when there are too many cars…not our parking garages. Let it hurt the Williamson County commuters…bet then they’ll be more quiet about our transit efforts…or maybe even supportive. When traffic is so bad you’re better off biking or walking…people will start biking and walking.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

People have to be able to get to a doctor’s appointment without relying on Uber. I wouldn’t be against the current draft if land values and purchases weren’t based on the former version. I, for one, want the streets to tell us when there are too many cars…not our parking garages. Let it hurt the Williamson County commuters…bet then they’ll be more quiet about our transit efforts…or maybe even supportive. When traffic is so bad you’re better off biking or walking…people will start biking and walking.

There aren’t too many doctors offices downtown, which is where this change is affecting.

On 5/19/2023 at 9:54 AM, CandyAisles said:

Won’t stop development completely but it will to a great extent. Hotel can be built with this…but no residences or office will be developed until the land values reset and the current owners take an extensive bath.

This is only applicable to bonus height. Zoned height can still be built with above-grade parking!

• Like 1

On 5/21/2023 at 7:39 AM, andywildman said:

This is only applicable to bonus height. Zoned height can still be built with above-grade parking!

That's unfortunate to hear... we will either have surface parking lots remain surface parking lots, or 8-story stick frame buildings with 4 levels of above grade parking. Just mandate all above ground parking be 100% lined with units and be done with it. Perfection is the enemy of very good, in this case. 

Edited by nashvylle
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

That's unfortunate to hear... we will either have surface parking lots remain surface parking lots, or 8-story stick frame buildings with 4 levels of above grade parking. Just mandate all above ground parking be 100% lined with units and be done with it. Perfection is the enemy of very good, in this case. 

I don't think that's the case for most of downtown, which is zoned for 10-30 stories. For example, the vacant lot at Rosa Parks & Church St (714 Church) is zoned for 30 stories according to the DTC currently. So the options under the new DTC could look something like:

• 30 stories, including some above-grade parking (say a 7 story podium, 1 story of amenities, and 22 stories of residences)
  • 40+ stories, because the parking garage is three stories of below-grade parking, there are diverse units (family sized, senior-oriented, micro-units), the building is connected to the DES steam system, and the development includes some public green space (because there's no parking podium)

Then the developer has to decide: can they sell/rent the apartments without every unit having a parking spot, and does the return on the ~roughly doubling of residential floors make up for the cost of blasting out a below-ground garage and building up another 10 floors.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, andywildman said:

Then the developer has to decide: can they sell/rent the apartments without every unit having a parking spot, and does the return on the ~roughly doubling of residential floors make up for the cost of blasting out a below-ground garage and building up another 10 floors.

It's a definite no, and developers would not even get financing complete. 

Without specifically naming the project, I know one developer tried a <1.0 parking ratio, and leasing was so slow, they had to delay their second phase and use the parking lot for Phase I. 

Edited by nashvylle

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Why didn't you suggest eliminating MDHA while you were at it! LOL

Too many fingers in the development control pie basically. All things should be controlled by planning unless it has to do with land controlled specifically by MDHA.

I've asked other parties with city government about MDHA, specifically putting them under the purview of Planning and I have been told it is not possible. Parties weren't sure, but they believed MDHA is chartered by either the State or Feds. I haven't looked into it beyond that.

That being said, the redevelopment districts are starting to come up on expiration. The East Bank one expires in 2025 for example. I believe there used to be a Five Points one that was not renewed (could be mistaken though).

10 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Without specifically naming the project, I know one developer tried a <1.0 parking ratio, and leasing was so slow, they had to delay their second phase and use the parking lot for Phase I. 

Bold statement, and an interesting data point. A few more data points:

• Gulch: Society Nashville (currently excavating on Division St) has <1.0 parking ratio, plus a ground-floor restaurant.
  • Pietown: VeLa Pietown (601 Lafayette) has a 0.9 parking ratio planned for for-rent apartments.
  • Downtown Core: Alcove+Prime combined have a <0.75 parking ratio for for-rent apartments.
  • Midtown: The Albion Music Row development has a planned 0.69 parking ratio for for-rent apartments with ground-floor retail.
  • East Nashville: The proposed development at 800 Main St in East has 316 parking spots planned for 379 apartments (~0.8 parking ratio) AND 45k sq feet of office AND 40k sq feet of retail.
  • SoBro: The proposed 24 story apartment tower at 4th & Lea has a 0.56 parking ratio in addition to 5 ground-floor retail spots.
  • Downtown Core: 901 King (the Giarratana Project on the corner of the TSU campus) has no parking planned for for-rent apartments.

The times, they're changing - even in a car-centric city like Nashville, Tennessee.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, andywildman said:

I don't think that's the case for most of downtown, which is zoned for 10-30 stories. For example, the vacant lot at Rosa Parks & Church St (714 Church) is zoned for 30 stories according to the DTC currently. So the options under the new DTC could look something like:

• 30 stories, including some above-grade parking (say a 7 story podium, 1 story of amenities, and 22 stories of residences

This scenario is a kinda sorta. If that is a true parking podium with no liner (and just cladding), then the DTC states that the above ground, non-lined parking cannot exceed the number of below grade parking. So in reality if we were looking at a 30 story tower, that would be 4 levels of below grade parking, 4 levels of above grade parking (3 levels if you were to keep the 7 floors only), 1 floor of amenity and 25 (26) floors of residents. If it was an habitable liner, you could do completely above grade parking though so you would do 7 stories of above grade with 7 stories of residential liner + 1 story of amenity + 22 full floors of residential. 

This is an image direct from the DTC with regards to structured parking:

image.png.20beb1097677506648ae1a22f5fd00c1.png

Honestly, the stepback at level 7 is truly a big driver of the above grade parking. It has been mentioned by others, but eliminating the stepback requirement and the above grade, liner unit discussion loses alot of steam.

24 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Completely understand that because the ones holding the purse strings still do control everything. I remember one developer coming out of NY in which they wanted to avoid underground parking at all costs. They were wanting to build BIG, but also didn't want to build below grade parking. Nashville is currently a "Tier 2" city in the mind of money people because they can still get away with building above grade parking under the current codes. You certainly know better than me on who is looking to invest in Nashville, but I would think there are alot of folks that would still invest even if parking was lessened. I am certainly not wanting developer's lives to get harder (if only because selfishly, many times that means the design team's lives get harder 😋), but I think our city needs to make some harder choices if we want to take the next step.

We have a bus system that has some ridership, but has a PR problem because everyone thinks the bus is dirty. Some routes are efficient, but the system as a whole is not. I believe overall we are actually at 107% of pre-pandemic ridership, but this ridership is more concentrated. We also don't have a great diversity of uses in the Downtown Core which makes having a car still pretty necessary. Things like diverse grocery stores, not everyone can afford Whole Foods, Turnip Truck or even Publix for that matter. The new Bonus Height brings in incentives to get more diverse uses in the city. Another item that was discussed at the open house was a tiered incentive for bringing in better uses. For example, planning for a grocery store can be difficult and space consuming, so by having that in your project it would be alot higher than say a doctor's office or an urgent care. Not that those two aren't important, but space planning for them is just different and much simpler.

This may be a bold statement (or not depending on you approach) but I think it is me being honest from my personal life. I would actually take a decent slow down in the development of our downtown core, if it meant the urban life/environment took a step forwards. If we were able to create a better Live/Work/Play city for the folks living here, I think we could attract some really great things. It is certainly a short term hurt, but I think it could pay great dividends in the long run for the city.

• Like 2