Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for those shots of the proposed apartment parcels FL. Man those are in the middle of everything and should be used for commercial and not residential IMHO. For some reason I had it in my mind these parcels were closer to the lake. Thanks again.

I'm just curious: if the southside schools of Nims, Bond-Wesson and Fairview are running way below capacity (as stated by an article or two I read in the Democrat) why are we building another southside school?

Thanks for those shots of the proposed apartment parcels FL. Man those are in the middle of everything and should be used for commercial and not residential IMHO. For some reason I had it in my mind these parcels were closer to the lake. Thanks again.

I'm just curious: if the southside schools of Nims, Bond-Wesson and Fairview are running way below capacity (as stated by an article or two I read in the Democrat) why are we building another southside school?

The proposed rezoning for elementary school L was posted recently, but they took it down and now the link is broken. This is where it is supposed to be.

I downloaded the PDF when it was avialble and have attached it here. I had to modify the PDF file slightly to reduce the file size, but did not make any material changes.

L_proposedmap.pdf

L_proposedmap.pdf

Originally published December 19, 2007

Westcott Lakes hosts open house

By Lauren DeLucia

SPECIAL TO THE CHRONICLE

Trees dotted with white lights and lavish adornments welcomed guests at a Dec. 5 holiday open house at Westcott Lakes at SouthWood. In celebration of the holidays, Westcott Lakes invited guests to enjoy hors d'oeuvres and cocktails and tour the model residence at Tallahassee's newest and only Life Fulfilling Community.

Jacksonville-based developer Praxeis, LLC created this concept for adults 62 and older to focus on education, lifelong learning, socialization and emotional, spiritual and physical well-being as well as wellness and socialization. As a university-based community sponsored by Florida State University, Westcott Lakes boasts a unique relationship with the school. Members have campus privileges similar to faculty, including access to libraries, athletic facilities and cultural activities.

The community, which plans to open in 2010, will offer more than 60,000 square feet of venues for dining, wellness, performing and creative arts, learning and socialization. The common areas will include a fitness center, heated pool, library, media center, venues for performing arts and options for formal, casual and take-out dining. Additionally, members are ensured on-site access to a continuum of health-care services.

Source: Tallahassee.com

Southwood today to check on the Elementary School that's being built out there. The school looks like it's coming along quite nicely and so does Orange Avenue.

Will Orange and the new school be complete in time for the next school year?

Looking at the second page of that new site plan you posted bhd, I noticed they dropped the Publix as a main anchor tenant, and replaced it with National Department Store (Target?) and Home Improvement Store (Home Depot?). I'm glad they did that because the idea of another Publix was confusing me.

As far as the commercial development around it is concerned, I'm curious to know who plans to build all of that and when?

Indeed. I wonder what impact this will have on the portion of Capital Circle near the Flea Market and going toward Wakulla County. I think the strong concentration of quality commercial development is good, but there are areas along Capital Circle, not far from here that aren't as nice. Future retail development, or do you all see something else going in?

Look at map once again and tell me if you think that's the Southside development. Although it is not Southside by name, it has the location, and all of the characteristics of that community. I'd really like to know the time table for this project. Sembler does have a sign up along that part of Capital Circle, just east of Woodville Highway/S. Monroe, I wonder if St. Joe has sold this property to them??

I was thinking the same thing about the property south of CC. It looks like that very well could be the retail and commcerical portain of Southside because the new roads going through it keep going. Retail by the highway and residential just off of it.

Can't wait until this gets built.

I think with an infux of money into that area I don't see any reason why it would not start growing and looking better. It would be a centralized shopping area for Wakulla and Southside Leon County residents.

I was thinking the same thing about the property south of CC. It looks like that very well could be the retail and commcerical portain of Southside because the new roads going through it keep going. Retail by the highway and residential just off of it.

Can't wait until this gets built.

I think with an infux of money into that area I don't see any reason why it would not start growing and looking better. It would be a centralized shopping area for Wakulla and Southside Leon County residents.

Ah great idea. Where is the nearest Post Office currently for that area of town?

My In-laws live in a much smaller community than Southwood in West Palm, however they do have a town center w/tennis courts and a tennis shop, a gym, a pool, a barber and hairdresser, a convenience store and gas station, a real estate office and most importantly a Post Office. For the size of their community and town center, during the days, the place is always active. IMHO a lot of that activity has to do w/the post office being right there.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that all mention of the issues related to the conversion of the Town Center to an apartment complex have been removed from Southwood's Town Talk message boards. Also the "Southwood United" website that was created by some residents is not functioning. Anyone know what's going on? I've been out of town for a while.

Archived