Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I'm not even sure. I'll have to go back and look at their username. I would assume they are if they copied right off of SWR's post on here. :huh:

Edited to add usernames: The 1st username that copied and pasted was "mike" and the 2nd username to do the same was "chichi133" Do we know them as UP-ers? They should join up with us if they haven't already.

Wow...

That is a rather...underhanded thing to do.

I guess what they are trying to do is keep control of their undeveloped areas away from thier residents. That way the can develop it with regard to any market changes. I suppose that is the way business works but they should have least given thier current residents notice.

I'm sure this article about the proposed development will add fuel to fire:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../711030348/1003

My only response is that economic downturn also bring about other changes as well and that the homes in Tallahassee are over priced anyway. I believe this same sort of thing happened in the Piney-Z PUD also.

When all else fails, Tallahassee will always be a renters market!

"St. Joe, he added, tries to be attentive to residents' concerns. "We strive to be good listeners, and we seek input," he said. "We also strive to be forthright as well."

They lied their A@#$#@$ off and the Democrat doesn't even touch that in this article....another weak article without all the facts written by the Democrat.

Jerry Ray has nerve saying they sought input....that is a flat out lie

"St. Joe, he added, tries to be attentive to residents' concerns. "We strive to be good listeners, and we seek input," he said. "We also strive to be forthright as well."

They lied their A@#$#@$ off and the Democrat doesn't even touch that in this article....another weak article without all the facts written by the Democrat.

Jerry Ray has nerve saying they sought input....that is a flat out lie

There's been no attempt to seek input from residents of Southwood about anything. Quite the opposite. St. Joe does all it can to prevent such input.

St. Joe had the density for the Town Center parcel changed at the same time they were negotiating the sale of the property to Broad Street Partners, the apartment complex builder, so that they could exceed the maximum density stated in the original development order. Nothing in the application filed with the city suggested that the purpose was to permit apartment construction.

The whole reason for dividing the existing Community Development District is to prohibit current residents from beginning to participate on the board of the CDD and have any input into future neighborhood development. The "new" CDD (which is the remaining part of the Southwood PUD) will be completely controlled by appointees of St. Joe.

Residents have repeatedly asked to have the meetings of the CDD board held in the community meeting room at Southwood so that homeowners could attend. St. Joe has always held the meetings in a downtown office building, and continues to do so despite the requests.

Residents have also repeatedly asked to have the CDD meeting schedule published on the Southwood intranet to which every house is connected. St. Joe only publishes notices of the meetings in the Democrat legal section (as it is required to do) and refuses to also post the notices on the intranet. All it would take would be to push a key on a keyboard.

Southwood residents get a calendar mailed to us every month to tell us everything from when the bookmobile is here to when the boy scout troop meets, but apparently it's too hard to include the CDD or Homeowner Association meetings on that calendar.

All a public relations spokesman has to offer the media is credibility, something that Jerry Ray doesn't have. The Democrat reporter should have asked Mr. Ray to explain the assertion that St. Joe had sought input from the residents in light of the apartment complex situation. The question that should have been asked was "if St. Joe strives to seek input and listen to its residents, how come no resident at Southwood knew that there was a massive apartment complex being built in the prime parcel of the town center?"

This letter was sent on Sunday to the the writer and editors at the Democrat with an offer to provide additional information, but no response as of yet:

"I am a Southwood resident and was at the meeting you wrote about. There was some consideration of notifying the Democrat of the meeting, but we were told in a posting on the Southwood intranet that if any press was invited to the meeting, the St. Joe rep, Bill Wier, would not speak to us. Jerry Ray did not attend the meeting. I've forwarded this letter to other editors and writers at the Democrat in hopes that this information can provide some perspective beyond that of St. Joe's PR staff as to how St. Joe regards its residents and its obligations as a corporate citizen. The assertion in the article by Jerry Ray, the St. Joe spokesperson, that the company values input from Southwood residents and is forthright in its actions is completely contrary to the way St. Joe has proceeded to develop the project and to how they operate Southwood's governing bodies.

St. Joe owns a lot of land in this area, and their development practices will impact the quality of life for all the residents of Leon County, and the surrounding area for many years. I know this email is dense, but the complicated nature of this issue is part of the problem the Southwood residents face. We have no reliable internal communications within the neighborhood, so we're pieceing the puzzle together as best we can. I

"When this is all over, and eventually it will be, Southwood will still be one of the nicest neighborhoods in Tallahassee. "

Completely agree.

This whole ordeal has only made Southwood better. This community is standing together and fighting for the community. That is a sign of a great place to live.

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up Southwooders!

The following is coming before COT Development Review Committee on Monday 11.26 @ 9am at City Hall. While it's only a re-plat, I believe this is the area where all the shenanigans are happening? Is that correct?

Here's a link to the pdf file that shows a map of the area and the notification area is circled.

LINK

NEW BUSINESS:

PRELIMINARY PLAT

1. 3.

Replat of Southwood Unit 22 Lot 1 (TSD070024) located on 10.44 acres on the southwest corner of Merchants Row Boulevard and Grove Park Drive. The proposed project is to divide the lot into 2 lots. The site is zoned PUD (Planned Unit Development).

Approval_____ Denial______ Continued to_________

PROJECT COORDINATOR: Southside Team (891-7100)

Tax I.D. # 31-15-31-000-0010

Agent: Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my favorite past times is eavesdropping as i walk through campus and the thousands of young adults have telephones glued to their skulls. I always like it when i can gain incite and see what they think about tallahassee, etc..

Tonight as i walked to my car, this female behind me was loudly speaking about how she was moving to Southwood.... I began to think to myself. I know those units are extremely pricey for a student budget......But then I remembered I go to FSU, and so many kids are wealthy through either there own endeavors or that of mom and dad...

Anyhow, she next said it costs 800+ a month... I was thinking, wow, someone doesnt mind paying double what everyone else pays generally for rent as a student, and secondly... its not the closest location to campus...

anyhow. kinda random, but this is my stream of conscious thoughts for tonight

One of my favorite past times is eavesdropping as i walk through campus and the thousands of young adults have telephones glued to their skulls. I always like it when i can gain incite and see what they think about tallahassee, etc..

Tonight as i walked to my car, this female behind me was loudly speaking about how she was moving to Southwood.... I began to think to myself. I know those units are extremely pricey for a student budget......But then I remembered I go to FSU, and so many kids are wealthy through either there own endeavors or that of mom and dad...

Anyhow, she next said it costs 800+ a month... I was thinking, wow, someone doesnt mind paying double what everyone else pays generally for rent as a student, and secondly... its not the closest location to campus...

anyhow. kinda random, but this is my stream of conscious thoughts for tonight

Personally, I'd prefer if the students stayed away from this end of town. I enjoy Southwood Publix just fine without masses of college students clogging the aisles. I actually enjoy Tallahassee in general much better when there are hoardes of students around. No offence to our own UP students, I think you guys are alright! :thumbsup:

I think this is one of the concerns the residents of Southwood have with the possibility of apartments. The limited number of rental condos that would actually go to students doesn't really have an impact, but there would be a much greater influx with the apartment complex and many college students have an awful tendency not to take care of things, there is no personal investment, particularly when mommy and daddy are footing the bill. :wacko: *end rant*

Personally, I'd prefer if the students stayed away from this end of town. I enjoy Southwood Publix just fine without masses of college students clogging the aisles. I actually enjoy Tallahassee in general much better when there are hoardes of students around. No offence to our own UP students, I think you guys are alright! :thumbsup:

I think this is one of the concerns the residents of Southwood have with the possibility of apartments. The limited number of rental condos that would actually go to students doesn't really have an impact, but there would be a much greater influx with the apartment complex and many college students have an awful tendency not to take care of things, there is no personal investment, particularly when mommy and daddy are footing the bill. :wacko: *end rant*

From my observations, I think Rachiroo is dead-on regardless of college student's income levels or their family's. I do think there's a difference in under-graduate students and graduate/law/med students and how they regard their property and consideration for neighbors. And of course there are ALWAYS exceptions to what I've said.

From my observations, I think Rachiroo is dead-on regardless of college student's income levels or their family's. I do think there's a difference in under-graduate students and graduate/law/med students and how they regard their property and consideration for neighbors. And of course there are ALWAYS exceptions to what I've said.

Archived