55 West

Tim3167

I would love to see Church St be turned into a "Lincoln Road" type of venue. It looked like it was getting closer to that reality back in the 90's, until Church St. died. Now that there are more residential towers being built in downtown, it's a perfect opportunity to turn Church St. into a pedestrian mall. Thoughts? I think it could work. Granted, Lincoln Rd is huge, but Church St. could be a smaller, double-decker, version. It's something besides another theme park...

When the Amway Center opens up, there will be a string of venues from the, east on Church St. to Orange, then north on Orange to Washington, non-stop, with spurs on Pinse St., Central, and Wall St. That's like 5-6 linear blocks of continuous establishments, not counting the side corridors I mentioned.

As for 55W, it looks like more residents mored in- namely on the 10th level where the high ceilings are. Levels 4-10 each have at least 1-2 residential units leased each on the east side of the building.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told that the upper levels- you can't hear much. I was at the DOP last night on their pool deck with tours of the building. I went to the 22nd floor 1,400 sq ft unit; it was nice; it was up there; can't hear a whole lot from there with the window open; definitely not with the windows closed (sliding doors to the balcony I should say).

the pool deck is on the 14th floor per the elevator. it's a nice building; nice pool deck; nice units; it's a neat forum for events that pool deck is. But I think Dynetech's lofty perch on the 30th, Stirling Sotherby's on the 16th floor penthouse, the Plaza's 11th floor deck, The Vue's pooldeck, and Star's 18th floor rooftop pool deck are the other "venue" hot spots that I would make sure if I was a small meeting planner, would rent out to give the maximum "effect" to patrons.

• 1 month later...

Finally, restaurant/retail coming to 55 West: http://orlando.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2009/12/14/daily18.html

It sounds like a really dumb idea to name your restaurant "Heat" and place it right next to the home of rival "Magic." If I were a Magic fan (and I kinda am) I'd stay away from anything called "Heat." Also, on most summer nights in Orlando I want to get out of the Heat.

^ haha...that's a great point. What a terrible name!

Agreed...and I don't think management from Jay Clark from Brix is going to add to the success. That is the only place downtown that seems dead on weekends. Didn't he also just open up a quirky take-out Mexican place on Washington?

Edited by FLheat

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed...and I don't think management from Jay Clark from Brix is going to add to the success. That is the only place downtown that seems dead on weekends. Didn't he also just open up a quirky take-out Mexican place on Washington?

double agree...and i thought the mexican place on washington, gringos locos has ties to forty-seven owners ... they are at least friends i hear...and i hear the place is good ...haven't tried it myself yet tho...

hopefully they reconsider the entire concept and name ...

I ate a gringos a couple nights ago after a night of clubbing. I had a burrito, and it was very mediocre. To top it off, they were accepting cash only, and I was the only person in there. I can see Gringos failing very soon if they don't get their act together.

that stinks...i was on review site (urbanspoon or yelp, one of those) and they had a ton of reviews ... for a new place i thought it was odd, figured they got all their friends to post for them.

i figure the after club time is their main audience ... maybe that and lunch...so if its not equal or better than chipotle and that sort...it may go out quick

• 2 weeks later...

oh yay! alongside? as in a 2 in 1 place (ie pizzahut/tacobell?) ... or next door...it almost looks like they are taking the pancheros sign off and putting braxis on...but nonetheless...yay for new food joints downtown!

Cool, a burger joint, because all we have are Hamburger Mary, Kress, Pourhouse, Pipers, Brix, Graffiti, Hues, 310, .......

Maybe they should open a pizza place next to it too.

Cool, a burger joint, because all we have are Hamburger Mary, Kress, Pourhouse, Pipers, Brix, Graffiti, Hues, 310, .......

Maybe they should open a pizza place next to it too.

haha ... u can never have enough burgers... besides braxis appears to be more of a fast food place (i could be wrong)... hamburger marys, kress is a bit different vibe...i wouldnt be comfy walking in my pj's real quick to grab a burger in either of those places

i did try pourhouse this past week and had an amazing burger...but where braxis is was a bit too far to walk from where i live, brix food is not good, graffiti, hue and 310 are in a different direction

if i lived in 55w and just wanted a quick burger i prob would rather stop quickly in braxis (if the food is good there) instead of going into a sit down place and being served

As someone mentioned, I was just being silly....I just get frustrated living downtown with no variety of authentic food selection. Everything is either pizza, burgers, or unjustifiable expensive menu. The interesting thing is that restaraunts near orange and robinson, Thai Cafe, Dixie Cafe (latin), Ann Cafe (greek) are 10 times better and cheaper than TP. Too bad they dont open for dinner. I guess another burgher joint is (barely) better than an empty joint.