Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

There's talk of possibly trying to turn some land over by Drake Field into a little aerospace/tech park. There will possibly be a grant to do a study. Sounds like a good idea of course. Some good jobs for Fayetteville to go after and it could also be a good thing for Drake Field as well.

Yeah, I saw this and did not know if I wanted to add it into the Revitalize Drake Field thread or not. I would much rather hear that it is finalized and going to be realized, than just mentioned as a possibility. It sounds like a great oppertunity for Fayetteville to further its High tech job industry angle, if it could just get done and actually work. This could aid the tech industry in the city forever.

Yeah, I saw this and did not know if I wanted to add it into the Revitalize Drake Field thread or not. I would much rather hear that it is finalized and going to be realized, than just mentioned as a possibility. It sounds like a great oppertunity for Fayetteville to further its High tech job industry angle, if it could just get done and actually work. This could aid the tech industry in the city forever.

It's sounds like a pretty interesting concept, and I really wasn't expecting to hear about something like it.

Like you said, I wish we could hear about it when it is finalized. One thing that I don't like to hear with something like this or the sustainability hub talk is how it will affect the job and tax base in our area positively. I think when those two things are a motivation it is not necessarily a good sign for me. I'd like to think that the reasons for something being good in this area is more in depth than how it affects the bottom line. For the Drake Field idea, it could be as simple as saying that they were looking for something useful for the once-prominent airport, or that they see that they can meet the needs of an industry with a few adjustments. In the end its just nice to hear if something would make good business sense (yes bottom line determines feasibility but I think it should extend beyond that).

Nice pics, thanks! EJ Ball and the square both are going to look much nicer. The downtown area will be a big construction site for awhile but the end result should be worth it. I do wonder if the square will be done in time for the Farmers Market to start back up though.

Nice pics! Did we loose some trees around the square?

No, I'm pretty sure no trees are going to be lost. I'm sure we would have heard more about it if we were. The current construction is coming from replacing the sidewalks around the Square. In some areas the sidewalks had deteriorated quite a bit. The new sidewalks are going to use native stone. Should be a nice fit and I think will only enhance the Square.

There's talk of possibly trying to turn some land over by Drake Field into a little aerospace/tech park. There will possibly be a grant to do a study. Sounds like a good idea of course. Some good jobs for Fayetteville to go after and it could also be a good thing for Drake Field as well.

That's awesome news and at least it's not just local gossip since this is something the governor of Arkansas is endorsing which is why the grant is even available. Whether it becomes finalized or not it is a good thing to hear that our city officials are thinking about the future and not just sitting idle.

What makes the aerospace/tech park even more desirable is that there is currently an aviation branch of NWACC located in the Regional Technologies Center in Fayetteville, called the Arkansas Aviation Technologies Center. The current offerings are an aviation maintenance degree and airframe and powerplant technical certifications.

The bottom line isn't about creating jobs and increasing the tax base, it's about creating the opportunities to create jobs and increase the tax base. Steve Rust said it best about the aerospace/tech park: "The whole thing is you're not in the game unless you're ready to go. We are not ready to go. We are not in the game. Period. End of conversation."

What makes the aerospace/tech park even more desirable is that there is currently an aviation branch of NWACC located in the Regional Technologies Center in Fayetteville, called the Arkansas Aviation Technologies Center. The current offerings are an aviation maintenance degree and airframe and powerplant technical certifications.

The bottom line isn't about creating jobs and increasing the tax base, it's about creating the opportunities to create jobs and increase the tax base. Steve Rust said it best about the aerospace/tech park: "The whole thing is you're not in the game unless you're ready to go. We are not ready to go. We are not in the game. Period. End of conversation."

Yeah, this has been a growing area for Little Rock in recent years. Seems like a good thing for Fayetteville to at least try to get something going in this area as well.

Nice pics, thanks! EJ Ball and the square both are going to look much nicer. The downtown area will be a big construction site for awhile but the end result should be worth it. I do wonder if the square will be done in time for the Farmers Market to start back up though.

Those in the know claim it will be ready for FM. They seem to be working, even in not-so-great weather, so that's encouraging.

M

Speaking of the Square, I've been forgetting to mention this. I've seen that they are selling space in the David Adams Bldg. While I believe it's mainly office space they have said it can be converted into condo space. But they aren't doing it themselves, just selling the space. I was just a little surprised not to have heard a little more about this. I'd have to say it's my favorite building on the Square.

Speaking of the Square, I've been forgetting to mention this. I've seen that they are selling space in the David Adams Bldg. While I believe it's mainly office space they have said it can be converted into condo space. But they aren't doing it themselves, just selling the space. I was just a little surprised not to have heard a little more about this. I'd have to say it's my favorite building on the Square.

Which building is that, I can't place it?

I have to correct myself. The last time I was around the Square there wasn't any trees missing but I did notice them today. I admit I was rather surprised and disappointed. Just seems to me that surely they could have put in a new sidewalk without taking out all the trees on the corners. All the trees on the northwest and southwest corners are gone. I'm assuming once they move on the other other side of the Square they'll do the same there. I realize this isn't a development but, it just seems odd the city makes a big deal to developers to preserve trees and the city takes out quite a few trees just to 'renovate' the sidewalks. I could understand if they were constructing a building but just to work on the sidewalks? I'm assuming they'll plant new trees after they're finished or else that would seem to violate their own tree ordinance. But of course they'll be young trees that will take years to get as big as the ones they cut down.

I have to correct myself. The last time I was around the Square there wasn't any trees missing but I did notice them today. I admit I was rather surprised and disappointed. Just seems to me that surely they could have put in a new sidewalk without taking out all the trees on the corners. All the trees on the northwest and southwest corners are gone. I'm assuming once they move on the other other side of the Square they'll do the same there. I realize this isn't a development but, it just seems odd the city makes a big deal to developers to preserve trees and the city takes out quite a few trees just to 'renovate' the sidewalks. I could understand if they were constructing a building but just to work on the sidewalks? I'm assuming they'll plant new trees after they're finished or else that would seem to violate their own tree ordinance. But of course they'll be young trees that will take years to get as big as the ones they cut down.

It does seem like a double standard doesn't it? Maybe this was the city's way of saving money on Christmas lights (sarcasm button on). Seems like a real shame.

Okay, I've been meaning to rant about this for a while...

NWA needs a sporting goods store.

I was trying to buy some cleats and gloves for intramurals not long ago, and the only place I knew to go was Wal-Mart. Needless to say, their selection is not overwhelming.

Can we not get an Academy Sports, Sports Authority, or Dick's Sporting Goods?

I wish I had the money to open one around here, because it would be extremely successful.

We have a Hibbett Sports, which has a pretty good selection, and a couple places in the mall with names I don't recall that would be much better than Wal-Mart. We don't have anywhere large like Dick's that I know of, most of our "sporting goods" stores are for outdoor supplies like Lewis & Clark or Pack Rat, but they might carry some of that stuff as well. At any rate, if you're shopping at Wal-Mart for sports supplies, you need to get around town more. :lol:

We have a Hibbett Sports, which has a pretty good selection, and a couple places in the mall with names I don't recall that would be much better than Wal-Mart. We don't have anywhere large like Dick's that I know of, most of our "sporting goods" stores are for outdoor supplies like Lewis & Clark or Pack Rat, but they might carry some of that stuff as well. At any rate, if you're shopping at Wal-Mart for sports supplies, you need to get around town more. :lol:

Yeah I was thinking there was some places at the Mall as well that would probably have some merchandise that Wal-mart wouldn't.

Well, I'm aware of these places. I guess I should have specified a little more.

Somewhere to shop for golf clubs, pool tables, baseball bats & gloves, etc...

The places at the mall are clothing stores more than anything, and Hibbett is alright but still fairly small.

A large sporting goods store would put these to shame.

Doesn't even look close to being finished, so I'd be more optimistic that they will plant just as many trees as there was before when the work is done. More than likely there will be even more trees than before. When the work is done we'll know for sure.

Yeah I do imagine they'll plant more trees. But they'll be small young trees that will take over a decade to get as big as the ones that were there. I was just a little surprised how nobody on the City Council thought it was a big deal considering how other trees in the city have been made into big deals. I just thought it would have been something that was discussed a bit more. That and I still don't quite understand just why we had to cut down so many trees to improve the sidewalk. The sidewalk can easily go around the trees. There's some nice trees on the northeast corner I always enjoyed seeing in the Spring with all the blooms. Guess I won't be enjoying them this Spring.

Yeah I do imagine they'll plant more trees. But they'll be small young trees that will take over a decade to get as big as the ones that were there. I was just a little surprised how nobody on the City Council thought it was a big deal considering how other trees in the city have been made into big deals. I just thought it would have been something that was discussed a bit more. That and I still don't quite understand just why we had to cut down so many trees to improve the sidewalk. The sidewalk can easily go around the trees. There's some nice trees on the northeast corner I always enjoyed seeing in the Spring with all the blooms. Guess I won't be enjoying them this Spring.

Were they cut down or just uprooted? Mature trees can be replanted so maybe they plan to return the trees that were there before. The main reason new developments plant new young trees is because it's cheaper. Since the square is not a new development they may have made prior arrangements for the mature trees. That may be the reason noone said anything, because they plan to put the trees back. I guess when it's all said and done and they do plant new young trees people can get upset about it, but noone seems to know what the city intends to do.

Decision made to keep Crossover design, shorten length of improvement project:

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/News/62667/

While I think it is very unfortunate that the entire project cannot be completed as planned, I firmly believe that this is the right decision. I would much rather have the bulk of the project (and the section that carries the most traffic) completed the right way than compromise on design and safety and complete the whole thing. If anyone wants to see what the project would have to look like if the design were changed to meet the states requirements for doing the entire project, just drive down Hwy 265 South of the Hwy 45 intersection. This section (from Hwy 45 to Hwy 16) was widened several years ago to a standard 4 (some places 5) lane design with a small sidewalk that is immediately adjacent to the road (and high speed traffic). Not an attractive design, a nightmare for traffic and way too dangerous for pedestrians and/or cyclists. I think this project, done the right way, will really serve to beautify that quadrant of Fayetteville and will go a long way to help promote alternative transportation.