Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Yep, that is the correct location for this development. It is a mixed use development with retail at the front near zion road and a 6 story medical office building at the Northwest corner of the development nearest Lake Fayetteville. The 6 story building will have 15 residential units/condos on the top floors. The road through this development will be given to the city as a public road and will serve as the new officail entrance to Veteran's Memorial Park (the park on the south side of Lake Fayetteville). It will align with Vantage drive to the south, and it is believed that there will be a stoplight at this intersection after this development is finished. The Parks Board approved the new entrance to the Veteran's Park and recommended a change in name from Vantage Drive to Veteran's Memorial Drive to help with visibility for the park as well as to honor our veterans (currently there is no street named 'Veteran's' in Fayetteville) There are no current active addresses on Vantage Drive, so a name change would not have an adverse economic impact on any businesses or residences. The City Council must act on the name change for it to become official and it is my understanding it will be sponsored at one of the next meetings.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head. I've got details of the development at my office and will check them later. It looks like a really nice mixed use development--especially for that area of town.

Thanks for all of the info on this project guys. They had been relocating utilities and marking trees lately. I had no idea what they were going to do there. I am glad they are going to make it a nice mixed use project. It is a great area that is close to pretty much everything.

That's awesome re: Zero Mountain! Too bad for Johnson but the town is really an artifact now anyway and needs to be absorbed totally.

Yeah, that is about how I feel. Just give Springdale the land on the northside of Main/Greathouse Springs and Fayetteville the land on the southside.

But where else but Johnson can you count on getting a speeding ticket so easily?

M

LOL, How about Farmington? Are they still pretty good at handing them out? West Fork used to be too but not nearly as much reason to have to pass through there anymore.

WRT Elkins: I doubt those folks will go for a full annexation into Fayetteville any day soon while they're enjoying the lower tax rates of Elkins. They've got a pretty decent little setup there. I think they may even be in Fayetteville School District IIRC.

Since I noticed it again today and I don't believe it's been mentioned, the midsized office building on Millsap by Procter and Gamble's old building appears to have leased. It sat empty a couple/few months, and I'm not sure what's there now, but I saw them moving things in and the parking lot is active again.

Since I noticed it again today and I don't believe it's been mentioned, the midsized office building on Millsap by Procter and Gamble's old building appears to have leased. It sat empty a couple/few months, and I'm not sure what's there now, but I saw them moving things in and the parking lot is active again.

I had wondered what would become of their old location. Good to know that something appears to be going on.

Here's the first building being constructed in Timberlake Office Park which is north of Zion Rd. behind Lowe's. It's actually adjacent to the Park Center development mentioned recently. According to the Northwest Arkansas Business Journal this is to be a 19,000 sq. ft. three story building worth around $4.5 million. It will be silver level LEED certified, sit on 2.1 acres and be finished in April, 2009. It will overlook the Lake Fayetteville trail and during leaf-off the Lake will be visible as will South Thompson St. in Springdale.

DSCN0730.jpg

DSCN0733.jpg

I haven't been downtown recently but I've been seeing more letters in the editorial section of the newspaper referring to it. Seems like everyone is somewhat unpleasantly surprised at what's been happening. Even people who have shops downtown are frustrated because some of them apparently weren't notified of everything that was going to be happening. I think a lot of people feel the city quickly pushed this through before anyone was really aware of what was going to happen. I certainly didn't expect everything that's been entailed so far. It was always just worded as 'replacing the sidewalks'. But anyway apparently the center of the Square should be done before the Farmer's Market. But apparently it's not all over. The outer part of the Square will then take place and won't be completed till this fall.

I haven't been downtown recently but I've been seeing more letters in the editorial section of the newspaper referring to it. Seems like everyone is somewhat unpleasantly surprised at what's been happening. Even people who have shops downtown are frustrated because some of them apparently weren't notified of everything that was going to be happening. I think a lot of people feel the city quickly pushed this through before anyone was really aware of what was going to happen. I certainly didn't expect everything that's been entailed so far. It was always just worded as 'replacing the sidewalks'. But anyway apparently the center of the Square should be done before the Farmer's Market. But apparently it's not all over. The outer part of the Square will then take place and won't be completed till this fall.

Let me add that several of my wife's friends have called to find out about the trees. They were all cut down and will be replaced with much smaller trees. The city says they were past their prime--I think that's crap and it was idiotic to cut down those mature trees where everyone walks! In fact, this whole revamping of the square seems like a dumb project we could have done without. I would much rather have seen them spend this cash somewhere else in Fayetteville. The Square was already nice! Goofy.

M

Let me add that several of my wife's friends have called to find out about the trees. They were all cut down and will be replaced with much smaller trees. The city says they were past their prime--I think that's crap and it was idiotic to cut down those mature trees where everyone walks! In fact, this whole revamping of the square seems like a dumb project we could have done without. I would much rather have seen them spend this cash somewhere else in Fayetteville. The Square was already nice! Goofy.

M

Yeah I heard that mentioned about the trees as well. If that were the case it would seem to me they'd be cutting down other trees in the city. It really sounds like to me the city knew if they discussed this or let on what all was going to actually happen that lots of people would make a big deal about it. I just think the biggest problem is that the city never really let anyone know what all was going to actually happen. All they ever said was they were going to replace the sidewalk. That made sense because in a number of areas the sidewalks were deteriorating. But they never said anything about the whole Square basically being remodeled. All I can say is it better be nice for all the money and inconvenience they've caused for all of this.

Actually...it was reported months ago that the brick planters, sidewalks and trees would be replaced. Mayor Coody himself mentioned that the trees were mature and likely die because of the renovation and they had started to push the brick planters out of postion. There was even a picture of the deteriorating wood sections of the garden walls and the sidewalks were also deteriorating as they are all around the square. I think I saved the article and when I get time I'll dig it out and scan it in.

As when any project changes a high profile area it disrupts our sense of place and can be a shock to see. I think doing a through renovation of the square all at once is better than doing it piecemeal and dragging it out. I do hope that the replacement trees are more mature than just saplings but the plan for trellises with greenery sounds like a good plan until the trees do mature. I also like the tint they added to the sidewalks- too bad they haven't done that on all the new sidewalks downtown.

Actually...it was reported months ago that the brick planters, sidewalks and trees would be replaced. Mayor Coody himself mentioned that the trees were mature and likely die because of the renovation and they had started to push the brick planters out of position. There was even a picture of the deteriorating wood sections of the garden walls and the sidewalks were also deteriorating as they are all around the square. I think I saved the article and when I get time I'll dig it out and scan it in.

As when any project changes a high profile area it disrupts our sense of place and can be a shock to see. I think doing a through renovation of the square all at once is better than doing it piecemeal and dragging it out. I do hope that the replacement trees are more mature than just saplings but the plan for trellises with greenery sounds like a good plan until the trees do mature. I also like the tint they added to the sidewalks- too bad they haven't done that on all the new sidewalks downtown.

Thanks for the info. I must have missed that somehow. The bad thing though is I'm not the only one. Just seems like I've heard a lot of people complaining about it and acting like they had now idea it would entail anything but replacing the actual sidewalk. It just seems like when something this big happens there's a lot more talk about it. Just seemed like this all came about pretty quickly. Some of the retailers around the Square claim they weren't even notified about the changes. Anyway guess I need to get down there and check it out.

In related news about the Square sounds like a Latin imports store will be opening where Mason's used to be. The bad thing though is with all the construction going on it makes it sorta hard for a new business.

Actually...it was reported months ago that the brick planters, sidewalks and trees would be replaced. Mayor Coody himself mentioned that the trees were mature and likely die because of the renovation and they had started to push the brick planters out of postion. There was even a picture of the deteriorating wood sections of the garden walls and the sidewalks were also deteriorating as they are all around the square. I think I saved the article and when I get time I'll dig it out and scan it in.

We knew the project was going to happen. What we were not told was the trees would all be ripped out. That's not the same asthey might die later.

The city will not let us normal folk tint sidewalks. I had to get special dispensation to not do bright white concrete in front of my house at 413 N.Willow. I wanted to do exposed aggregate (all at my cost) and they said "no." I finally conviced them to let me put a little tint in the concrete so it didn't look bright white and they didn't want me to do that!

M

M

Yeah I've heard some people say that it is about time the square is being renovating. I personally didn't see a need for it, especially in comparison to other projects needed. Oh well. I just hope the sidewalks don't turn out like the ones at Lafayette and West Ave. Those are annoyingly white, invisible, and narrow.

Fayetteville got some more recognition, although this time not positive. There's an article in the New York Times about how the school district isn't 'protecting' a kid who's being bullied. The newspaper implied the school district isn't doing anything to the bullies. The kid's mother even told the newspaper she was worried the bullies were going to one day 'kill him'. Anyway it made the school district, and for that matter the city, look pretty bad. First of all I certainly don't condone what's happening to this kid. But I somehow think we're not hearing the whole story on this. The school district is now getting smalled with e-mails from people who have read the article. Ironically now the school is being 'cyberbullied' by people. Unfortunately it's something like this that ends up taking away a lot of the work it's taken to clean up the image of this area. Reading some of the e-mails directed to the school it's obvious not everyone has forgotten some of the old stereotypes of the Ozarks and Arkansas. One person also claimed this was a sign of our 'infamous bigotry'. When was Fayetteville known for infamous bigotry anyway? Ironic since Fayetteville was the first city in the 'Old South' to integrate it's schools. Anyway you just hate to see stuff like this happen. Both for the kid and the city and area's image. While I really don't think this kid is as innocent as his mother portrays him. I also don't think he's done anything to deserve what's happening to him either. It's also a shame that after having so much praise for the city in recent years now get overshadowed by something like this.

Fayetteville got some more recognition, although this time not positive. There's an article in the New York Times about how the school district isn't 'protecting' a kid who's being bullied. The newspaper implied the school district isn't doing anything to the bullies. The kid's mother even told the newspaper she was worried the bullies were going to one day 'kill him'. Anyway it made the school district, and for that matter the city, look pretty bad. First of all I certainly don't condone what's happening to this kid. But I somehow think we're not hearing the whole story on this. The school district is now getting smalled with e-mails from people who have read the article. Ironically now the school is being 'cyberbullied' by people. Unfortunately it's something like this that ends up taking away a lot of the work it's taken to clean up the image of this area. Reading some of the e-mails directed to the school it's obvious not everyone has forgotten some of the old stereotypes of the Ozarks and Arkansas. One person also claimed this was a sign of our 'infamous bigotry'. When was Fayetteville known for infamous bigotry anyway? Ironic since Fayetteville was the first city in the 'Old South' to integrate it's schools. Anyway you just hate to see stuff like this happen. Both for the kid and the city and area's image. While I really don't think this kid is as innocent as his mother portrays him. I also don't think he's done anything to deserve what's happening to him either. It's also a shame that after having so much praise for the city in recent years now get overshadowed by something like this.

It is a shame. I will say, however, that as a parent of a child at FHS, I am not thrilled with the administration. They are difficult to communicate with, talk down to people, and are in general, very unresponsive--a lot different from the high school my older daughter graduated from in Dover, Mass.

M

It is a shame. I will say, however, that as a parent of a child at FHS, I am not thrilled with the administration. They are difficult to communicate with, talk down to people, and are in general, very unresponsive--a lot different from the high school my older daughter graduated from in Dover, Mass.

M

Yeah I would agree with Mith that some of the story told so far is somewhat one-sided, which is inducing one-sided mentalities towards criticisms. However I would agree with you Mark without having much sympathy for the school district. I went to FHS and Woodland, and would not be supportive of Fayetteville as a nice school district. I had been bullied and harassed in that system, and didn't enjoy a good perception of the students or parents. I never took my cases to higher-ups, but I would characterize mine as more severe because of the fact of being a new student at the time. I would personally enjoy it if they crucified the Fayetteville school district, but just in sort of selfish way.

This actually sort of points out my main reason for separation of the high school: to create more options and possibly smaller student populations.

Thanks for the insight. I admit I'm rather limited on it because I attended high school elsewhere and I also don't have any kids. If there is a problem with the school district then I hope things are corrected. I've always heard good things so perhaps I never was aware of any problems. Anyway I forgot to post this earlier but one of the reasons this is getting attention is because the parents of the student are suing the Fayetteville school district. That being said the school district didn't say much to the newspaper because of the impending lawsuit. So of course you really only heard one side of the story. Like I said earlier, I don't think the kid is 100% innocent. But I also don't think he could have done anything to warrant the treatment he's getting either. I hate that it's come to this, but if there are problems with the school district maybe this is the opportunity to bring things out in the open and rectify them.

In other Fayetteville news, the Planning Commission turned down the Bridgedale Plaza development. It seems the problem that seems to be bothering everyone is the part of the development that would have the self-storage. I admit I've never actually used one of these before. But I gather everyone seems to have a rather negative perception of self storage units. Are people afraid that people are going to store drugs or something there? Or are people turned off by the idea because it means more people might enter the neighborhood. Like how you'll hear residents complaining that they don't want any nearby retail in their neighborhood because it will bring more people in their area and such. I guess a form of NIMBYism. Either way it sounds like the people living near this possible development have been complaining quite a bit.

In other Fayetteville news, the Planning Commission turned down the Bridgedale Plaza development. It seems the problem that seems to be bothering everyone is the part of the development that would have the self-storage. I admit I've never actually used one of these before. But I gather everyone seems to have a rather negative perception of self storage units. Are people afraid that people are going to store drugs or something there? Or are people turned off by the idea because it means more people might enter the neighborhood. Like how you'll hear residents complaining that they don't want any nearby retail in their neighborhood because it will bring more people in their area and such. I guess a form of NIMBYism. Either way it sounds like the people living near this possible development have been complaining quite a bit.

It's the general image of self-storage that is bad. They're thought of as cheap little sheetmetal buildings because that's how they've been built for years now. Sheetmetal walls and roof with cheap roll-up garage doors. Not attractive buildings, not conducive to building good property values. However, I think there are some things to be considered, especially in this development's case. There is no rule saying that self-storage (or mini-storage) units have to look cheap. Build one with a brick or stone veneer instead of sheetmetal. Use slightly nicer doors. It wouldn't be unattractive (it'd just look like a lot of garages, which is another consideration. Some apartment complexes in the area, like Woodway offer garages/storage units that look quite nice, just a row of normal looking garages that some people use for cars and others for storage), and it'd be an easy way for these people to rent storage space that's close to home. The reason these things normally look crappy is because they're an easy profit-maker. Build a cheap, cheap building (you can build a small one for 10 grand in some places), and charge $50 a month a section to rent it. Overhead is quite low most of the time, especially if they don't offer airconditioning (which the Bridgedale one would), and the profit comes pretty quickly for a business requiring no full time staff or heavy organization. Most people run one on the side of their main business.

Anyway, I think they should have approved it with the stipulation that the storage units have to consist of certain materials or just not be a sheetmetal shack like they normally are. Should have made most of the neighbor's complaints mostly frivilous, and would have allowed a new development (which are relatively rare right now) to get some footing and look at moving forward.