Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Holy cow I didn't see that article... thanks for mentioning that. I can't believe that wasn't brought to my attention-- not that that was a surprise, really, knowing Fayetteville. In the crazy-insano world that is Fayetteville politics, they are really going to try to pursue converting parts of 71B to two-lanes a la Dover Kohl & Associates study. AHTD will never, ever, allow that, and Fayetteville knows it. Out of all the cities in Ark, Fayetteville is by far the wackiest. And I grew up in Fayetteville... sigh.

I'm not sure if Fayetteville will actually try to carry it out quite like that but I do like the fact that Fayetteville is willing to try different things. It may not be the biggest city in Arkansas but in a lot of ways it's the most progressive.

Okay I have an odd question. I know there are seven hills in Fayetteville. Does anyone know the names of them or at least some of them? I only have been able to figure out three of them, Mt Sequoyah, Mt Nord and East Mtn. Does anyone know of any of the others and about where they area?

I thought that East Mountain and Mt Sequoyah were the same. I don't have any clue about the rest of the mountains...

I've heard varying things. I also thought for a long time that they were the same too. But I've gotten the impression it could be two seperate hills very close to each other. But I admit I've also gotten the impression that Mt Sequoyah is simply a more modern name for East Mtn as well.

Okay I have an odd question. I know there are seven hills in Fayetteville. Does anyone know the names of them or at least some of them? I only have been able to figure out three of them, Mt Sequoyah, Mt Nord and East Mtn. Does anyone know of any of the others and about where they area?

Zero Mtn. Which really isn't much of a mountain, but probably just as locally famous as Mt Seqouyah. (it's west of the NWArk Mall)

Is Zion one?

Hmmm...seems like I heard of a church with Mt Zion in the name. Not sure if that is a biblical reference or a reference to a locale. Could be a possibility, thanks Matt. :D This could be harder than I think. If it wouldn't for the historical district there I'd never heard of Mt Nord.

Edited by Mith242

The Fayetteville Planning Commission recently approved large-scale development plans for an additional level atop of Washington Regional to provide 60 more beds and additional office space.

Yeah I thought I heard something about that. I was surprised because I didn't think all of it was being utilized since Washington Regional left. Maybe the VA is really starting to use the old Washington Regional Building now.

Thanks for the pic. I obviously haven't been in that general area in a while because I had no idea that had progressed so far.

As far as a previous topics is concerned. After doing some research I do know officially now that Mt Sequotah is East Mtn. Looks like the name change occured around 1921-1922 around the time quite a bit of land was sold to put the Methodist retreat up there. Aside from that I've had absolutely no luck getting any info on any of the other hills. As I said before if it wasn't for the historical ditrict I'd have no idea about Mt Nord either. As far as Mt Zion is concerned, I can only find the name in conjuction with the church. I suppose it's possible that it could be named for a hill it's located on, but I'm not thinking the chances are good. I'm considering even buying some topographical maps of Fayetteville to see if they will help me any. I guess it's not that big of a deal, but now that I've thought about it I want an answer. :lol: Just seems odd that many people know there are seven hills here but no one seems to know what hardly any names of them are.

Mount Comfort (West Fayetteville), Mount Nord (Off of Maple Street in Fayetteville), Mount Sequoyah (East of Downtown Fayetteville), Dead Horse Moutain (south Fayetteville), Mount Robinson (South east of Fayetteville), Sunrise Mountain (Northwest of Fayetteville Airpot), Wallin Mountain (Just off 71 in West Fork)

Maybe this will spark some ideas.

Here are the names of seven hills closest to Fayetteville:

• Mount Sequoya (E of Downtown)
  • Washington Mountain (Hwy 62/I-540)
  • South Mountain (N of Drake Field)
  • Mount Comfort (NW Fayetteville)
  • Puddin Hill (E of South Mountain)
  • Root Hill (SE of Washington Mountain)
  • Goat Hill (S of Root Hill)

I doubt these are the official Seven Hills of Fayetteville but they are the seven closest named hills of Fayetteville. There are other unnamed hills in and around Fayetteville. There are also several hills further out from Fayetteville. Mount Robinson and Sunrise Mountain (actually McCullum Mountain) are are barely further out than the closest Seven. I think some may have local nicknames like Mount Nord. Mount Zion is the name of a church at the foot of an unnamed hill.

Source: National Geographic Map Machine

Didn't know if anyone posted this, but the "Barnhill Condos" are no more. The University bought up the land for future growth so the project is off.

I saw something about that but wasn't sure what exactly they were talking about. Did the people who were going to do the development sell to the university? Or did they even own the land yet? Sorta sucks because it was about the only condo development away from the downtown area. I'd like to see them in other areas too. I wonder what the university is going to do with the land.

I saw something about that but wasn't sure what exactly they were talking about. Did the people who were going to do the development sell to the university? Or did they even own the land yet? Sorta sucks because it was about the only condo development away from the downtown area. I'd like to see them in other areas too. I wonder what the university is going to do with the land.

What I recall is that the developer had taken deposits on some presold units, etc.

The university bought them out for 2.5 million I believe, and the threat of imminent domain condemnation.

The university has no plans for the property currently, but just wanted to control that property in case they wanted to use it for campus expansion in the future.

Its cheaper to buy it now with one owner than with a midrise building and 40 condo owners.

What I recall is that the developer had taken deposits on some presold units, etc.

The university bought them out for 2.5 million I believe, and the threat of imminent domain condemnation.

The university has no plans for the property currently, but just wanted to control that property in case they wanted to use it for campus expansion in the future.

Its cheaper to buy it now with one owner than with a midrise building and 40 condo owners.

Yeah the university is always looking for more land that's near the campus. It was posted elsewhere but this ties in to this. Apparently there's talk that the university is wanting to help get the Fayetteville High School moved to another part of the city and buy their land. Which is basically right next to the campus as well. Nothing is official but it's sounds like it's possible to happen in the near future.

Yeah the university is always looking for more land that's near the campus. It was posted elsewhere but this ties in to this. Apparently there's talk that the university is wanting to help get the Fayetteville High School moved to another part of the city and buy their land. Which is basically right next to the campus as well. Nothing is official but it's sounds like it's possible to happen in the near future.

As an Arkansas Alum, I'm glad to see the U of A taking steps to grow and expand.

Now if they would just let me approve the designs of all new construction.......

I cant see that they've taken a definitive direction, architecturally.

None of the last few projects really tie in with anything else. Seems status quo to me.

Well, the athletic facilities all match, pretty much.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Every new building on campus should reflect either Old Main, Vol Walker, or Carnall Hall in some manner.

They don't have to be copies, but they should have some common design elements.

Thats just my opinion, right or wrong.