Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

Another day and another huge apartment undertaking by Specialized Real Estate Group.  This one will be the largest of all of their projects as well.  It will have 1100 bedrooms in the development featuring 108 "cottage style" units.  So this well be quite a bit different than the low rise buildings like Sterling Frisco or the Cardinal which are closer to the University and downtown.  This development will be called Idyll Village and it will be just south of MLK on Beechwood Avenue.  Currently there is are multiple warehouses on the property.  

That's massive.  Have they posted renderings of the whole project?  I was aware of it because of the docs for city planning.

Another day and another huge apartment undertaking by Specialized Real Estate Group.  This one will be the largest of all of their projects as well.  It will have 1100 bedrooms in the development featuring 108 "cottage style" units.  So this well be quite a bit different than the low rise buildings like Sterling Frisco or the Cardinal which are closer to the University and downtown.  This development will be called Idyll Village and it will be just south of MLK on Beechwood Avenue.  Currently there is are multiple warehouses on the property.  

I've liked their projects they've worked on before in the past.  Although as you mentioned, this will be something rather different than those other projects.  Should be interesting to see what they do though.

• Like 1

Maybe part of the issue is that the west Fayetteville has largely flown under the radar the last few years, as many of the headline grabbing developments have been the big dollar multi-family complexes close to campus.  Regarding the growth of the area, most of the subdivisions that were started back in the '05 - '07 boom that went bust and stagnated for years are now booming with activity.  So much so that many are completely built out, or are well on their way.  Even subdivisions as far out as Double Springs Rd. (e.g. Legacy Heights) which stood almost empty for years are now full of homes.

From a commercial standpoint, The Wedington corridor is very strong right now...  Off the top of my head I know of the following businesses that have either recently opened or are under construction:

Walgreens

Slim Chickens

First Security Bank

Northwest Health Clinic

Freddy's Frozen Custard

Super Cuts

Great Clips

Dickey's BBQ

Hilton Gardens Hotel

Casey's Convenience Store

All of these are on a stretch of Wedington about a mile long.  Where this area ranks with other areas of the city, I don't know, but it seems pretty strong to me.

Another point that bears mentioning is that, as we all know, the city council recently passed new rules for downtown multi-family development which will make future downtown developments very difficult.  It's probably a safe bet that this will push more multi-family developments out to areas like west Fayetteville, which already supports a few successful multi-family developments.  Thus supporting the case for stronger infrastructure development in the area.

With regard to parks --  while I appreciate the parks we have I'd like to point out that the parks you mentioned are "pocket parks" that were built in tandem with subdivisions that were developed in the area.  These parks were developed with little or no cost to the city.  All but one are less than an acre.  Some don't even have playground equipment.  Bryce Davis park, while nice, comes in at a whopping 2.5 acres and is very difficult to get to, as it is flanked by The Links golf course to the west and a 100-yard trail access from the east.  There certainly aren't any "regional parks" in Fayetteville west of 540 like the ones I mentioned in the post above.

There are no baseball fields in west Fayetteville.  (The closest ones are at Holcomb Elementary - a mile north of Mt. Comfort Rd.)

There are no tennis courts in west Fayetteville.

There are 2 soccer fields at the Boys and Girls club -- but that requires a membership.

West of I-540, there is less than one mile of public trails in the city limits.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be abrasive - just trying to be the squeaky wheel.

Excellent points.  The other wards often seem to treat the west side as the City's stepchild; the Flyer tends to fill up with comments about how Weddington is all "sprawl" (seeming to forget that residents there pay taxes, they don't think of it as sprawl and with a bit of infrastructure and planning, it would be every bit as well integrated as the rest of the city).  The west side should be getting a lot more trails soon, after the Town Branch & Tse-La-Gi trails finish up.  The regional park & Mt Kessler acquisition, in time, gives west Fayetteville the region's best park and widening Rupple will make it readily accessible from Weddington.  My impression is Ward 4 needs residents to really turn out to council meetings; Central Fayetteville is always well (too well) represented at these meetings, which tends to lead to a bit of bias in planning & priority.

I've liked their projects they've worked on before in the past.  Although as you mentioned, this will be something rather different than those other projects.  Should be interesting to see what they do though.

I wonder when the tremendous increase in student population density along MLK will begin translating into new commercial & retail space that cater's to residents?  I'd think that S. School would be a perfect place for student bars, coffee shops, quick dining, a grocery store, etc. - it's closer to the majority of the students than Dickson St, with (soon to be) great bike path access and with much less expensive rents.

I wonder when the tremendous increase in student population density along MLK will begin translating into new commercial & retail space that cater's to residents?  I'd think that S. School would be a perfect place for student bars, coffee shops, quick dining, a grocery store, etc. - it's closer to the majority of the students than Dickson St, with (soon to be) great bike path access and with much less expensive rents.

Retail typically follows population by a year or two. Takes time for the density and traffic studies to set in. There has been early growth along MLK with Starbucks, Panda, Whataburger and Dunkin.

• Like 1

Another large scale development aimed at students might be coming to the west side of Fayetteville.  This one is similar to the one just announced off of MLK as it will be a cottage style development with just over 700 bedrooms.  This is a prime location for some sort of development but I was hoping for more of a commercial area with hotels, shopping, and restaurants.  

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/apr/01/residents-review-student-housing-plans--20140401/?news-arkansas-nwa-fayetteville

Another large scale development aimed at students might be coming to the west side of Fayetteville.  This one is similar to the one just announced off of MLK as it will be a cottage style development with just over 700 bedrooms.  This is a prime location for some sort of development but I was hoping for more of a commercial area with hotels, shopping, and restaurants.  

http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2014/apr/01/residents-review-student-housing-plans--20140401/?news-arkansas-nwa-fayetteville

Because of the price expected by the family for the land, retail was out of the question. There may eventually be retail on the SWC of the intersection with I-540, particularly if this development proceeds, due to added density and improved traffic breaks on Wedington.

• Like 1

I noticed that another zoning sign has appeared on Beechwood. It's on the grass strip on the west side of the road across from the proposed cottages and south of the new apartments. Also noticed that the Crown has changed names.

I'm curious to see if there's any problems getting this approved through the City Council.  As usual, sounds like the neighbors in the area aren't happy about it.  I also wouldn't mind seeing more commercial development with it.  But comreguy answered that.  At least something like this should help push for more commercial development in that general area.

It seems strange that the land would be affordable for student housing but too expensive for retail- seems like it would be the other way around. I guess that's the way the market works in this case though. I had always hoped that it would develop into a high end office park for WM vendors with employees wanting to live in Fayetteville. Maybe a small amount of retail with a hotel of two would be ideal. I remember years back when Lindsey was expanding across I540 and just south there was concern that residential development was taking the limited amount of land next to exits and future office and retail development would go elsewhere out of Fayetteville. That seems to still be happening.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see if there's any problems getting this approved through the City Council.  As usual, sounds like the neighbors in the area aren't happy about it.  I also wouldn't mind seeing more commercial development with it.  But comreguy answered that.  At least something like this should help push for more commercial development in that general area.

I'm a home owner in University Heights. My only concern is traffic both in quantity and speed. I'm not going to raise a stink, though. There are plenty of people in our neighborhood who do enough of that  :whistling:

These may have been mentioned but I don't recall seeing them. Two developments I have questions about. Really just wondering what they are. 

1) corner of Nettleship and Eastern. Looks to be a good size multi-unit housing development. At least I can see left when turning on to Nettleship with all the brush gone.

2) corner of Sang and Halsell. Some serious clearing going on here. I assume it's an individual house but I guess it's possible to be an apartment. Anyone know?

What I would have liked to see at this site is a mixed use development with 3 to 4 story buildings for residential and office, with retail on the ground.  Also a city square, park, and entertainment options with restaurants, etc.  That would be a cool young professional, college community that I think would go well there.  But just student housing seems like a waste.  A huge mixed use development like you see in California or Texas would be so much better.  We need more places that are live, work, play in the area.  That is a perfect spot for it.

• Like 2

I noticed this this other week.  Acumen has had an office in Fayetteville for a while.  Over on N Shiloh near the Port Rd/I-540 interchange.  Not too far from where Shiloh ends and the picks back up near the Holiday Inn Express.  Across the street from them is a large warehouse.  Don't know if it's been empty but until recently never saw any signage up on what was there.  But the other week noticed Acumen has signage at the warehouse as well.  Maybe they've had it for a while but never put any signage up till now.  I thought Acumen was a third party that dealt between certain brands and companies like Walmart.  But looking at their website, looks like they're more into ecommerce.  Nothing big, but I found it somewhat interesting.  Especially if this warehouse wasn't in use beforehand.  Not sure what might have used that warehouse site in the part.

I noticed this this other week.  Acumen has had an office in Fayetteville for a while.  Over on N Shiloh near the Port Rd/I-540 interchange.  Not too far from where Shiloh ends and the picks back up near the Holiday Inn Express.  Across the street from them is a large warehouse.  Don't know if it's been empty but until recently never saw any signage up on what was there.  But the other week noticed Acumen has signage at the warehouse as well.  Maybe they've had it for a while but never put any signage up till now.  I thought Acumen was a third party that dealt between certain brands and companies like Walmart.  But looking at their website, looks like they're more into ecommerce.  Nothing big, but I found it somewhat interesting.  Especially if this warehouse wasn't in use beforehand.  Not sure what might have used that warehouse site in the part.

They seem to be growing.  I was just noticing today that their Facebook page for Country Outfitter has over 6 million likes.  Just a few months back, I remember reading a news story talking about their success saying they had "over 3 million likes on Facebook".  Looks like business is good.  

I hate the Vue.  Its just not a very good looking development for something that takes away from the mountain scenery.  I don't remember the renderings being that ugly, so I looked it up.  Here's what the initial renderings showed:

13546311419107039-vue-rendering.full.jpg

This has been rumored for a while but they are possibly getting closer to making it happen...

Whole Foods looking into Fayetteville Market along North College.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/01/23/whole-foods-eyes-first-store-in-fayetteville-market/

Looks like this story is closer to becoming a fact. According to local media the company that builds stores for Whole Foods has applied for a permit on N. College.