Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

attachicon.gifmlk.jpg

The red box doesn't seem to be part of it and it's enough for a restaurant pad or two fast food  joints and likely worth a good chunk of money, It's a Bombed out American Legion post and a powdercoating business.

The area in the blue box is what's known to be under contract

The purple box is the Bunting electrical place and Cobb, assumed to not be part of the sale and would be big enough for a multiuse facility that seats around 5,000 that the UofA Athletic masterplan calls for. Considering that Baum holds that and more the UofA is happy with the existing parking with little more really needed to service the arena planned in the future.

The yellow is existing apts that had a for sale sign on them from the same realtor as the other parcels

The lime green box is for sale by the manufacturer that owns the facility to the south.

This all leaves what was the OIl place that Hoskins once pitched as condos catering to folks wanting a place to stay during athletic events, a sign touting this is still there and area of land across Razorback that starts at the back of Chick fil a and runs to the train track. I was once told to keep an eye out for something on that piece of land but it's been over a year and nothing.

Premium Brands has relocated and that building of their is mostly empty and used for storage. include that with the undeveloped land and that's a large chunk of real estate.

Well shoot that isn't the size of pic I wanted, just click it.

Thanks for the pic and descriptions.

Edited by zman9810

attachicon.gifmlk.jpg

The red box doesn't seem to be part of it and it's enough for a restaurant pad or two fast food  joints and likely worth a good chunk of money, It's a Bombed out American Legion post and a powdercoating business.

Well shoot that isn't the size of pic I wanted, just click it.

I've heard Dunkin' Donuts is going in that vicinity and I believe it could be in the red box area you pointed out.

I've heard Dunkin' Donuts is going in that vicinity and I believe it could be in the red box area you pointed out.

Makes sense, but I'm getting the feeling that powder coating place isn't going anywhere, so that would take up half of that block and that is the boarded up eyesore old Post. That pic is from earlier in 2012 and The Domain isn't even under construction yet, just the razed old pallet facility.

Anywho, Fayetteville is back to changing the rules of the game while playing and Specialized is dropping it's plan for Dickson and it's not known whether it would have been student housing or more mixed use but we'll  find out:

FAYETTEVILLE — Specialized Real Estate Group no longer plans to build a multistory apartment complex at Dickson Street and Block Avenue.

Seth Mims, president of the Fayetteville-based company, said Thursday he terminated a contract to buy the property where the Divinity Hotel and Condos project was once planned. The parking lot across from the Dickson Street post office, has been owned by brothers Haitham, Sam and Essa Alley since 2010, according to Washington County property records.

“We’ve decided to step back from that development opportunity,” Mims said. “It’s clear that our potential development plans were putting pressure on some members of the City Council to push through an ordinance that could have far-reaching and perhaps unintended consequences.”

Mims was referring to a proposal by Sarah Marsh, Ward 1 alderwoman, to create new height and setback requirements throughout town. The proposal, up for Planning Commission review Monday, will require buildings to be set back at least 5 feet from side and rear property lines, with some exceptions.

Building height would be limited to 36 feet or the height of an adjacent structure. A building would have to step back 10 feet before going up 60 feet, or roughly five stories. Developers would have to meet certain criteria, including building to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards, to build anything taller.

Mims wouldn't discuss the size and scope of the development his company had planned, but said it would have fit within the parameters of Marsh’s proposal. “The setback (provision) required no major adjustment,” Mims said. Specialized has built other projects to LEED standards. Eco Modern Flats, which opened in 2011 on Hill Avenue, was Washington County’s first platinum LEED certified building.

“It’s not what the ordinance would have done to that site (at Block and Dickson),” Mims said. “It’s what the ordinance has potential to do to other sites across town.” Having to step back buildings at a certain height has potential to reduce the number of units a developer can include in a project.

The Dickson and Block project isn't the first time Specialized Real Estate has backed off plans amid public concern. The company was the high bidder on the City Hospital property south of the Fayetteville Public Library when Washington Regional Medical Center put it up for sale earlier this year.

Mims said his company shelved plans for City Hospital after library officials expressed interest in buying it. A thriving public library or more storefronts on Dickson Street encourage people to live downtown, which is good for the development market and, thus, good for Specialized Real Estate, Mims said.

He said Specialized walked away from the Dickson and Block site after investing in surveys, an environmental assessment and preliminary engineering and architectural work.

Specialized is the same company that opened part of the Sterling Frisco apartments at West Avenue and Lafayette Street in August. The company is building a 471-bedroom complex at West Center and Duncan Avenue. A similar complex is being designed a block away at Hill Avenue and Center Street. The company has plans approved for apartments on the parking lot along Lafayette Street north of University Baptist Church activity center.

Marsh said Friday she thought being committed to so many projects might have more to do with the company’s decision to back off the Dickson and Block project than opposition to her proposed ordinance.

“I suspect the ordinance may be a convenient way to justify them backing out,” Marsh said. “I would imagine there’s probably a cash-flow situation there.”

Mims refuted her claim. “I can understand why Ms. Marsh might think that, because we’re certainly very busy. But that is not the reason we have not elected to move forward with this project at this time.”

Marsh said, while the Dickson and Block project prompted the proposed ordinance changes, her proposal has a broader intent: preserving existing property owners’ quality of life and ensuring compatible development.

“I want to make sure we get the right development, not just any development,” Marsh said.

She said she’s willing to listen to feedback from anyone who has a stake in developing downtown. “If there are opportunities to improve the ordinance, that’s great,” Marsh said. “I’m not set on these particular parameters.”

Haitham Alley, a part-owner of the property along Dickson Street, said he and his brothers will continue to weigh their options for developing the site.

“We’re talking to two or three other people right now,” Alley said. “I don’t think it’s going to be a problem developing that property.”

“I think it would have been a beautiful development right on Dickson Street, but we’ll have to regroup and go from there,” he added.

Nina Shirkey, whose newly renovated home borders the former Divinity site, declined to comment Friday.

Marsh’s proposal is up for discussion at Monday’s Planning Commission meeting, which begins at 5:30 p.m. at the City Administration Building, 113 W. Mountain St. City Council members are scheduled to review the proposal for a fourth time Nov. 5.

The bolded is all you need to know, NIMBY. Same group that was so opposed to the divinity that get the current rules in place and that's not good enough. This will happen to every proposal there and heaven forbid that the USPS decides to move to a more accessible location off of MLK or College and sells that huge chunk of real estate it sits on. Google Earth that parcel.

attachicon.gifdunkin.jpgDunkin' Donuts is going in between the College Shoe place and the former body shop now auto parts store. That leaves the corner I was taking about still there.

Your prime spot is very shallow and has major elevation issues. A very small user may be able to do something there, but it will tough with setbacks and other city requirements.

The bolded is all you need to know, NIMBY. Same group that was so opposed to the divinity that get the current rules in place and that's not good enough. This will happen to every proposal there and heaven forbid that the USPS decides to move to a more accessible location off of MLK or College and sells that huge chunk of real estate it sits on. Google Earth that parcel.

Its very frustrating to watch this city government in action.  They continue to approve sprawl, and now have set themselves to work gutting the zoning that would encourage infill downtown.  

Your prime spot is very shallow and has major elevation issues. A very small user may be able to do something there, but it will tough with setbacks and other city requirements.

Nothing red dirt won't fix. they can run a business long ways and actually fit it with that whole door by the sidewalk bit this town has fixated on or someone convince the powdercoat place to sell and just nix that little paved road for a nice sized pad for a full service restaurant the area needs. What's to happen to Charlie's Chicken. They will eventually have to relocate as the University has bought the parcels that surround it and plan on eventually making a nicer entrance the campus from there.

Edited by TRB

Maybe someone can help me with this question regarding the City of Fayetteville park development strategy...  I know there is an initiative on the ballot to fund a new regional park in the far southwest corner of town, but I was wondering about other parks...  I see that the City of Fayetteville owns about 100 acres of land on the west side of town on Persimmon Street, between Broyles St. and 54th St.  Are there any initiatives to develop this into a park?  IMHO, it seems this location would be much more accessible than the Cummings farm project (south of the Supercenter on MLK Blvd.) especially considering the residential growth on the Wedington Corridor...  I understand the need for a long-term plan, however it makes more sense to me to develop parks in the immediate vicinity of the residents FIRST, then wait to develop the Cummings farm area until residential growth reaches the area. 

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone can help me with this question regarding the City of Fayetteville park development strategy...  I know there is an initiative on the ballot to fund a new regional park in the far southwest corner of town, but I was wondering about other parks...  I see that the City of Fayetteville owns about 100 acres of land on the west side of town on Persimmon Street, between Broyles St. and 54th St.  Are there any initiatives to develop this into a park?  IMHO, it seems this location would be much more accessible than the Cummings farm project (south of the Supercenter on MLK Blvd.) especially considering the residential growth on the Wedington Corridor...  I understand the need for a long-term plan, however it makes more sense to me to develop parks in the immediate vicinity of the residents FIRST, then wait to develop the Cummings farm area until residential growth reaches the area. 

Any thoughts?

I don't know anything specific, but my guess is to look at where Fayetteville's future trails are planned.  Any city-owned property, particuarlly existing parks, through those areas will likely see improvements soon after the trail goes in with new parks being developed concurent with new subdivisions.  Town Branch trail, for example is going to go through Greathouse Park and Walker Park; Frisco is extending accross to Walker Park.  Eventually, Town Branch trail will connect up with the proposed regional park.  Longer range plans call fro extending the trails out to Lake Sequoyah; I imagine that will look a lot like the Lake Fayetteville park area does now in another decade or two.

The bond issue election is Tuesday. I guess since Monday is a holiday the early voting has wrapped up. This is the YES YES YES vote on paying off the Town Center bonds and issuing new bonds for the Walton Arts Center renovation and expansion along with bonds for the new South Pass regional park. The first question has to pass in order for either of the other two to be possible. The WAC bond issue would provide 1/3 of the funds needed to design, renovate and expand the present WAC facility on Dickson Street. This is obviously needed and the 1/3 investment ( the rest coming from private donors) would be a good use of HMR taxes. It is important to remember that is would not be a new tax but a redirection of the existing tax. It is a shame some people are focusing on the personalities involved instead of looking at the investment in a cornerstone of the entertainment district and city. The park has also had detractors, mainly because of the location it seems. While maybe not ideal it is land that the city received free and it is also just off of the main traffic route through NWA.

I voted YES!

Edited by zman9810
  • Like 1

Ha. Political push... But are you sure you wanted to vote yes? Sometimes them there new fangled computers can be tricky. Just messing with you zman. I am not void of voicing my political voice either.

I, however voted.... Nothing :-(

I am not registered in Fayetteville anymore.

Actually... except for the use of the adjective "good" I simply presented the some of the facts pertaining to the election.

The bond issue election is Tuesday. I guess since Monday is a holiday the early voting has wrapped up. This is the YES YES YES vote on paying off the Town Center bonds and issuing new bonds for the Walton Arts Center renovation and expansion along with bonds for the new South Pass regional park. The first question has to pass in order for either of the other two to be possible. The WAC bond issue would provide 1/3 of the funds needed to design, renovate and expand the present WAC facility on Dickson Street. This is obviously needed and the 1/3 investment ( the rest coming from private donors) would be a good use of HMR taxes. It is important to remember that is would not be a new tax but a redirection of the existing tax. It is a shame some people are focusing on the personalities involved instead of looking at the investment in a cornerstone of the entertainment district and city. The park has also had detractors, mainly because of the location it seems. While maybe not ideal it is land that the city received free and it is also just off of the main traffic route through NWA.

I voted YES!

Yeah I'm curious to see how the vote will turn out.  As you stated this isn't a new tax and the existing tax isn't going away.  It's just a redistribution.  But a number of people are rather frustrated with the WAC.  Otherwise you'd think this would be an easy vote.

I voted YES!

I'm voting yest for the Town Center though it's never lived up to the hype.

I'm voting no on WAC, I'm put out with management and want concrete guarantees on  types of programming for twenty years. from completion date. How many off Broadways and  so on.

I'm voting no on the Regional Park, I want more effort on the Aquatics Center front and not just a splash pad one day. I want something that meets or exceeds the newer ones in the regiona like Rogers, Alma and soon to be Fort Smith. I'm not even gong to mention Springdale and other munni centers that put Wilson Park to shame.

I'm voting yest for the Town Center though it's never lived up to the hype.

I'm voting no on WAC, I'm put out with management and want concrete guarantees on  types of programming for twenty years. from completion date. How many off Broadways and  so on.

I'm voting no on the Regional Park, I want more effort on the Aquatics Center front and not just a splash pad one day. I want something that meets or exceeds the newer ones in the regiona like Rogers, Alma and soon to be Fort Smith. I'm not even gong to mention Springdale and other munni centers that put Wilson Park to shame.

The thing about paying off the Town Center bonds is that it is just a legality so that the new bonds can be issued. I'm not sure that much benefit will be seen by that question passing by itself.

I understand the desire for that guarantee for programming although I think they see it as unfeasible due to the changes in the marketplace for shows. It is like this year where they have one less Broadway show because of what was available to them. If they committed to something 20 years out and a certain type of programming lost popularity they would still be stuck providing it because of that guarantee. Flexibility is important. I think they generally want to put on what will draw the most ticket buyers.

I think the immediate concern for the park is to provide the soccer fields and that may be enough in itself to push that question to pass.

v

The thing about paying off the Town Center bonds is that it is just a legality so that the new bonds can be issued. I'm not sure that much benefit will be seen by that question passing by itself.

I understand the desire for that guarantee for programming although I think they see it as unfeasible due to the changes in the marketplace for shows. It is like this year where they have one less Broadway show because of what was available to them. If they committed to something 20 years out and a certain type of programming lost popularity they would still be stuck providing it because of that guarantee. Flexibility is important. I think they generally want to put on what will draw the most ticket buyers.

I think the immediate concern for the park is to provide the soccer fields and that may be enough in itself to push that question to pass.

Here's my beef with the soccer fields, why did this city put so much into the Lewis complex if they knew that A) some of it belonged to the school district and  B) most of it was the UofA's that they knew there was a chance they would want it back. Seems like a waste of my tax money and I've never seen it explained away.

Having kids that have played multiple years at the fields at Walker and Lewis, if it was a tball game and the first of the day. I often had to clean out the dugout from the "stuff" that the homeless would leave behind. I think that's the main reason they replaced the dugouts so they were see through. I wonder how many folks know of the homeless camp near that that this city allows to continue unabated, One that makes the news with a murder or two a year it seems. That's another thing. I'm not hating on homeless, but I've read in the past that some of the forever homeless come to Fayetteville due to it's programs for them. Homeless tourism, ain't that something.

Edited by TRB

A few things on this --  If I remember correctly wasn't this park site donated to the city as part of a larger 800-acre development that fell through a few years back?  Seems like John Nock et. al. proposed a huge development and this park site was part of their plans.  Please correct me if I'm not remembering this correctly.

Also, I'm not saying parks have to be close to the city center, but close to the neighborhoods they would serve.  A few weeks ago on one of these bulletin boards I mentioned that the city owns about 120 acres at the corner of Broyles Rd. and Persimmon St. which I feel would make a fantastic regional park within walking distance of most of the residences in the Wedington Corridor.  What's more, the city already owns the land!  It seems to me that a park would serve as a fantastic buffer between the residential areas and the Wastewater treatment facility.

To find other areas prime for park development would take some time and some study, however I'm pretty confident that raw land is still available in the growth areas that have adjacent residential neighborhoods.

At the end of the day, I would love to see the Cummins farm property developed into a park someday -- but I think the best plan would be to wait until residential development grows further in that direction. 

Just my two cents.

The park site was chosen after a lengthy search. Not sure where else to find an inexpensive huge chunk of land for the development of park that is near the city center. At least this area can be easily accessed from I-540.

Thoughts?

I just personally am not that interested in a large regional park.  I'd rather see investment in the parks that we have.  Its a crying shame that a city as large as Fayetteville only has one public swimming pool, for example.  I'd rather see a smaller park on the west side with a full aquatic center or something similar rather than a huge, mostly barely developed regional park.

I'd honestly rather see HMR taxes go to other improvements in the city.

The City already has several million dollars to go towards the regional park development so this bond question is just a boost to develop it quicker. It will be decades before it is completed so there is a lot of time to add to the design and if enough people call for a aquatic center I imagine one will be considered. I don't think this park's development means other parkland won't be added in other parts of the city, after all, the required donation of park space for new residential developments is still in place.