Polk Park

SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, DMann said:

Agree KJH, but the 200 ft spire also is intriguing

It's kind of an interesting idea, but in context I think it would just be lost. If this were in a low-rise neighborhood it would be very powerful. Not for nothing, a thin element like that is very difficult to light up and make look good at night - there's not enough surface to reflect light back. (case in point: cornelius's weird "sail" installation on the exit 28 overpass)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m thrilled everyone is reacting so positively.  I just can’t make out what’s really proposed for the pocket space from the renderings I’ve seen.  Nest appears to be the most novel park feature and perhaps with the most shade for our scorcher summers. Also, the nest design appears to be the likeliest to beckon passersby into the space.  Hopefully the suspensions are air tight.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I’m thrilled everyone is reacting so positively.  I just can’t make out what’s really proposed for the pocket space from the renderings I’ve seen.  Nest appears to be the most novel park feature and perhaps with the most shade for our scorcher summers. Also, the nest design appears to be the likeliest to beckon passersby into the space.  Hopefully the suspensions are air tight.  

I'll ask for site plans if they exist.

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Quick Nitpick, the city's highest point is in the Christenberry Hills neighborhood and its almost 140' higher than Trade and Tryon.

Lots of high points in this area of Charlotte just north of Derita

image.thumb.png.f51764c9c454299541eda5c7d32659bc.png

I have been there and it is uncertain which house has the highest point. My memory was that the hillock in the back yard of someone appeared to be the point. Lightning collectors for sure on that street. As the map shows, the rail line follows the upper slope of that ridge.

On 1/19/2024 at 9:33 AM, CLT Development said:

Quick Nitpick, the city's highest point is in the Christenberry Hills neighborhood and its almost 140' higher than Trade and Tryon.

Lots of high points in this area of Charlotte just north of Derita

image.thumb.png.f51764c9c454299541eda5c7d32659bc.png

A good chunk of the northern part of the city(north of 85) is a higher elevation than anywhere uptown. Even East Charlotte has some elevations higher than uptown.  Maybe they were talking about center city. 

IMG_1814.jpeg

Edited by JorgiPorgi
  • Like 1

I like the Nest the best.  I’d like to see the waterfall.  I wonder if it will be like the one in Polk Park or a water wall like this one in New York.

P.S.: It’s unclear to me why people are posting confused emojis in response to my inquiry.

image.jpeg.c2e8fd8e40d61501dd5ac9d1ce6eaba8.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I’d like to propose that the McColl Park design featuring the greenery-sculpted crowns be installed instead at the entrance to Charlotte Douglas International to replace the puzzling and overpriced rotary blade installation that’s currently there.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RANYC said:

I’d like to propose that the McColl Park design featuring the greenery-sculpted crowns be installed instead at the entrance to Charlotte Douglas International to replace the puzzling and overpriced rotary blade installation that’s currently there.  

I have always though that artpiece at Billy Graham and the airport connector looked like  a plane crashing which is not something I want to see on the way to the airport.  

• Haha 3