Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

Developing something for the people? Are you talking about governement welfare, or charity? You mean like the public housing projects in Norfolk? Or the Union Mission?

Why is it better for there to be no self interest? There is no self interest in the post office or the DMV or VDOT. Is that what you are hoping for? Self interest is a good thing. Individuals using freedom and our free market to create and succeed without limits. Contrary to what we are hearing out of Washington these days, that system has been what has made this country to great for so long.

What is your issue with profit margins? Without profit, businesses can't expand, can't buy more inventory, can't hire more employees. Without profit, businesses don't pay taxes to help run our city, state and federal governments. Profit is maximized when individuals and businesses can use freedom and the free market to their advantage over competition. If there is profit, competition for the profit will increase, creating more businesses and jobs and tax revenue.

Not everyone can afford to live in brand new apartments in downtown Norfolk. Perhaps that is unfair. Life can be unfair. We live in a world where just about everyone had a roof over their head (usually airconditioned), enough to eat, cable TV, a cell phone, etc.

If the rents at the Belmont at Freemason are too high, the developer will be unable to rent at those levels and have to lower their price. That is the risk the developer takes. And if that happens, and he loses his shirt and makes no profit or loses money, there will be no "next project", no further economic activity, no tax revenue, etc. In other words, there will be nothing "for the people".

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for the record, and for another point of view: the government was not the main force behind the housing bubble. They were effectively coerced by very sophisticated and savvy lending institutions to deregulate and to then look the other way. Check out the Rolling Stone article on Goldman Sachs, it's a bit too cynical and tends to exaggerate, but there's more than a grain of truth there.

This is real, yes it may be overpriced...but people are willing to pay. What's to say that more folks won't be willing to pay for the Belmont, especially being located along light rail!!!

I have excellent hopes for this project being a success and shuting up a lot of light rail naysayers!

Just for the record, and for another point of view: the government was not the main force behind the housing bubble. They were effectively coerced by very sophisticated and savvy lending institutions to deregulate and to then look the other way. Check out the Rolling Stone article on Goldman Sachs, it's a bit too cynical and tends to exaggerate, but there's more than a grain of truth there.

Oh really? I love it out there. It's by far the best urban neighborhood in Hampton Roads. It seems like everything you could ever need is within walking distance. I didn't know the market had another grocery store in ghent either.

& I think City- data population densityof ghent is way off. When I calculate it using the numbers from norfolkdevelopment.com I get 9,241 (the pop. of ghent) divided by .34375 (the sq.milage of ghent) an I get 26,882 persons per sq. mile! Is that possible?

25100866.jpg

Larger: Here!

I'm curious why the fake balcony type deals outside of apartment windows are used so much around here? I think they tacky-it-up more then they make it interesting looking. It's growing on me though as it starts finishing up.

They're continuing laying light rail trackwork in front of the YMCA, and the pump station finally has walls build out. Brambleton is really starting to come together, what a great time to live in Norfolk!

PS - Hope some of you make it downtown tomorrow!

I don't believe most of them are fake. They are French Balconies. Which I have seen many of them as full glass double doors (French doors, coincidentally) that open up to a wrought iron railing at is attached to the exterior of the building. Its to have the ability to "walk" to the outside world from your condo without going anywhere. Google "french balcony".

I don't believe most of them are fake. They are French Balconies. Which I have seen many of them as full glass double doors (French doors, coincidentally) that open up to a wrought iron railing at is attached to the exterior of the building. Its to have the ability to "walk" to the outside world from your condo without going anywhere. Google "french balcony".

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks CaveMan.

I like how manicured the median is lol

& you can see how quick the rail is being built.

I can't wait until they clean up downtown from all the construction and the trains are up and running.

& I don't know if it's possible, but the YMCA needs to relocate to like St. Paul's Quadrant or something. It's too spread out and takes up to much land area to be adjacent to the LRT. Or they could just rebuild it right there and make it 4 floors and open up more space for development. With all the medium density buildings surrounding it, it looks outta place.

Thanks CaveMan.

I like how manicured the median is lol

& you can see how quick the rail is being built.

I can't wait until they clean up downtown from all the construction and the trains are up and running.

& I don't know if it's possible, but the YMCA needs to relocate to like St. Paul's Quadrant or something. It's too spread out and takes up to much land area to be adjacent to the LRT. Or they could just rebuild it right there and make it 4 floors and open up more space for development. With all the medium density buildings surrounding it, it looks outta place.

Yeah the rail is moving along that's for sure... I actually like having the YMCA right there, not that I personally use it, but because it accounts for almost all of the foot traffic in this part of Norfolk. Having it there actually makes it appear that norfolk has a downtown pedestrian presence.

What I hate about this particular area along the LRT is the apartment building on the west side of Dunmore Street, and the Storage Facility that fronts york, and extends the whole block to Bute...if they could get those out of there, and really build a nice tower of some sort with first & second floor restaurants & offices & whatnot, that would really solidify that area as a true transit hub. Just my thoughts.

A few years ago when friends and myself rented a place, we didn't make enough to cover the full place (I don't think). It was $1350 for a 4 bedroom in a nice neighborhood near a lake in Virginia Beach. 2550 sqft if I remember. Then one day the housing prices went nuts, then the owner decided to up the rent to $1900. So one friend moved back in with his parents, another bought in ptown, and I moved to Norfolk. The two prior roomates both left the area (one has returned, but I think is thinking of leaving since housing prices are retarded (he can buy cash but isn't stupid) and the jobs suck.

We'll see.

I don't understand. Are there no other apartments around, so that the young people have to live there? Or are the wealthy somehow forcing the young people to sign a lease? If the tenants are voluntarily choosing to live there, how can you say they are being ripped off?

Archived