Belmont @ Freemason Progress

okinawatyphoon

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah the rail is moving along that's for sure... I actually like having the YMCA right there, not that I personally use it, but because it accounts for almost all of the foot traffic in this part of Norfolk. Having it there actually makes it appear that norfolk has a downtown pedestrian presence.

What I hate about this particular area along the LRT is the apartment building on the west side of Dunmore Street, and the Storage Facility that fronts york, and extends the whole block to Bute...if they could get those out of there, and really build a nice tower of some sort with first & second floor restaurants & offices & whatnot, that would really solidify that area as a true transit hub. Just my thoughts.

I don't understand. Are there no other apartments around, so that the young people have to live there? Or are the wealthy somehow forcing the young people to sign a lease? If the tenants are voluntarily choosing to live there, how can you say they are being ripped off?

Of course not, but I guess from all the wisdom you have provided this site, you must be older than the rest of us. I said it before and I'll say it again, things have changed from when you (you meaning older people) were young. It is a good chance that you did not face any of the challenges (with respect to the subject content) we face now and probably do not now as you are older. What you suggested would essentially and effectively take years to pull off. The true argument I believe he was trying to make was that they (rent prices) are currently out of wack, forcing them to make choices they would not normally make when you were younger. We all talk about wanting Norfolk to be bigger, more vibrant, more of a bigger city, yet with your interpretation, you suggest we leave Norfolk all together or hold out until we are 40 or 50 for your plan to take effect. It is not always that easy and we surely could find rents cheaper in bad parts of Norfolk and or va.beach (or any other city). But we prefer to live in Norfolk (choices I know, lets assume that we all understand that). We all can not be Doctors, Lawyers, season engineers, navy officers, pilots and directors. Those are some hard choices to make, I do not see anything wrong with his feelings towards to the situation, I personally think it is fair. So I’m with him.

Of course not, but I guess from all the wisdom you have provided this site, you must be older than the rest of us. I said it before and I'll say it again, things have changed from when you (you meaning older people) were young. It is a good chance that you did not face any of the challenges (with respect to the subject content) we face now and probably do not now as you are older. What you suggested would essentially and effectively take years to pull off. The true argument I believe he was trying to make was that they (rent prices) are currently out of wack, forcing them to make choices they would not normally make when you were younger. We all talk about wanting Norfolk to be bigger, more vibrant, more of a bigger city, yet with your interpretation, you suggest we leave Norfolk all together or hold out until we are 40 or 50 for your plan to take effect. It is not always that easy and we surely could find rents cheaper in bad parts of Norfolk and or va.beach (or any other city). But we prefer to live in Norfolk (choices I know, lets assume that we all understand that). We all can not be Doctors, Lawyers, season engineers, navy officers, pilots and directors. Those are some hard choices to make, I do not see anything wrong with his feelings towards to the situation, I personally think it is fair. So I

Why not just look at it with simple economics. If there is demand for apartments at this cost in the area, then the price is going to remain where it is. If there isn't then the price will have to come down. Are you suggesting there should be some sort of lower income requirement for developers downtown? This is exactly what the city is struggling with in SPQ right now. I'm not saying it's wrong and would like younger people to be able to live DT. But developers in general are going to try to maximize their profit, and lawyers, doctors, seasoned engineers, etc. do that much better than most.

Well, if you ask me, I'd say people are voting with their feet. There are actually quite a few empty units.

The building I live in was bought for $300K, currently brings in around $30K+ per month. The owners reinvest absolutely nothing, people are stuck in elevators all the time, etc.

But it's hard to escape it, as the prices all move lock-step. I talked to someone who used to work in the business and they said that the owners of the large facilities all tell each other what their prices are, how biz is doing, and if there are any specials coming up. In turn, they all move lock step.

To be honest, I think the good young people all leave the area and we're stuck with those who haven't figured out they are hurting themselves.

None of my friends are really challenged at their jobs. Some are getting pretty PO'ed that there are so many old people sitting around making over $100,000 that do absolutely nothing, meanwhile they get stuck working in a crappy environment (These are gov't contractors, which are known to hire ex-military and pay them high just to grease the wheels and get love from the gov't club).

The older folks are always like, quite whining buy my overpriced condos. They don't get it.

If your not making like $60K in Hampton Roads, probably 50% or more of your income is going to shelter.

Meanwhile, the difference is being made up by people spending on credit and what not. If you loose this, then all your local businesses suffer.

Granted, some of the people that own the expensive restaurants and pay crap wages are likely those who also overcharge on housing.

Like I said though, the market is loose. For rent signs everywhere, empty units too.

Now you've got Norfolk replacing the bars frequented by the Navy crowd with puppet shows.

• 1 month later...
What is Norfolk's obsession with brick on the bottom then stucco on top. They did the same thing with Harbor Heights. Just make the whole building brick. it looks like such a better quality building that way. This just screams low quality contextualism. All brick or stone would have been so much better than this.

• 1 month later...

I think this project is about over. :)

The landscaping on Brambeton and York is complete and looks real nice.

Overall, this was a great project in that it increased density, filled up surface lots, and is the beginning of the TOD era for Norfolk and Hampton Roads in general.

On to the next new construction res. project downtown. Wells Fargo!

I think this project is about over. smile.gif

The landscaping on Brambeton and York is complete and looks real nice.

Overall, this was a great project in that it increased density, filled up surface lots, and is the beginning of the TOD era for Norfolk and Hampton Roads in general.

On to the next new construction res. project downtown. Wells Fargo!

I agree. The revitalization of the historic buildings is much more exciting!

This project should hold some sentimental value as Hampton Roads' first TOD and we'll look back 10 years from now and wonder how HR functioned without it! Can't wait to hear an announcement about the next TOD in the coming months.

I wonder how they are doing with leasing, though? I always see someone moving in whenever I'm downtown.. Also they have been advertising pretty heavily in the Pilot and around town!

You may be right. I think the 2020 plan states that all of downtown is a TOD now, so I guess every new development will be considered Transit oriented.I agree though. I'm sure the development of LR played a huge role in swaying them to revitalize historic buildings in Norfolk out of a long list of possible downtown's.

Archived