Richmond in Cranes

I miss RVA

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, CitiWalker said:

image.thumb.png.3957f4c4e394379f167eb4e7c9a95a0e.pngimage.thumb.png.cb47c7d045286010dfad88cef74eae0a.pngimage.thumb.png.80248b9ddb2e5cdc4393fec900996f79.pngimage.thumb.png.9298b5eeabc3fa964194d5f72cd5caba.png

Holy MOLY!! These are AMAZING!! I've been waiting to see what the Pinecrest/Parc View would look like from the vantage point of Riverfront Plaza. MAN... just FANTASTIC! Love the shots of the Bakery Lofts crane, too. Wowzers - Richmond is starting to look pretty darn busy with construction these days! OH - any shots of the Commodore from Riverfront Plaza, now that I think about it?

Selections of these will appear in the official February update of "Richmond in Cranes" - which I'll post later on this week.

Thanks SO much for taking and posting these beauties! Ummm... you know your name is now entered in this week's running for another silver port-a-potty. :tw_wink:

34 minutes ago, Hike said:

I’ve been thinking of doing this since the thread started, couldn’t resist, sorry folks, I’ll see myself out. 

FFFE2382-07AC-4157-835A-324A3320D985.jpeg

LOVE IT!!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_joy:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Child2021 said:

Hmmm... from the article - this is a bit confusing - what's the story on this? Is the RT-D leaving downtown for Chester? Who is going to Chester?

Shamin Hotels operates a total of 62 hotels in six states, including 39 in the Richmond region. The company acquired the Richmond Times-Dispatch building in downtown Richmond late last year with plans to move its corporate headquarters there from Chester.

Edited by I miss RVA

13 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Hmmm... from the article - this is a bit confusing - what's the story on this? Is the RT-D leaving downtown for Chester? Who is going to Chester?

Shamin Hotels operates a total of 62 hotels in six states, including 39 in the Richmond region. The company acquired the Richmond Times-Dispatch building in downtown Richmond late last year with plans to move its corporate headquarters there from Chester.

I think it’s just the opposite of what you're thinking:  Shamin Hotels is currently HQ’d in Chester and they have plans to move that HQ downtown to the RTD building, which Shamin bought a couple years ago. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, eandslee said:

I think it’s just the opposite of what your thinking:  Shamin Hotels is currently HQ’d in Chester and they have plans to move that HQ downtown to the RTD building, which Shamin bought a couple years ago. 

Gotcha. I misread it. Forgot what the word "from" means. :tw_joy:  Methinks my age is catching up with me! :tw_flushed:

Thanks for the clarification! Much appreciated. :tw_thumbsup:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ward Wood said:

I bet you Shamin will build a hotel on the RTD building + their corporate office.

I worked for Hilton and they have a similar setup in McLean VA with corporate HQ tied to a Hilton Hotel.

I can imagine a 500-Room hotel sitting on top of their HQ…would be awesome!

D1657218-180E-4327-BCF5-9212CAB67D98.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eandslee said:

I can imagine a 500-Room hotel sitting on top of their HQ…would be awesome!

D1657218-180E-4327-BCF5-9212CAB67D98.jpeg

And 500 rooms would likely come with quite a bit of height, depending on how they built out the tower portion. Recall the 527-room Hyatt Regency proposed for the Navy Hill redevelopment would have had 23-25 occupiable floors and in total been the equivalent of a 27-28-story building. And the footprint wasn't tiny by any stretch, though I think the RT-D building's footprint is much more of a full square rather than a half-block rectangle on which the Hyatt Regency would have stood.

Alrighty guys - so starting next weekend, we'll need to get some eyes on this bad boy. I'll hold off publishing the official February "Richmond in Cranes" update 'til we have pictures of this one up and operational so we can include it in this month's collection.  :tw_thumbsup:

OH - and while we're at it, if we can manage to get some shots (probably "distance" shots - if there's a vantage point to see it) that would allow us to see BOTH the Soda Flats and Belleville cranes together in the same shot (the way we can see the VCU Tech Center and Parc View cranes together), that would be FANTASTIC. This might not be doable given the distance between the projects and the likely minimal amount of vantage points. I'm thinking perhaps southbound on the AA. Blvd bridge that goes over the Acca Yards would give us a good view. Obviously looking southeast from  the I-195 bridges northwest of Scott's might also be a vantage point. Problem with both of these is solving for how do you take photographs of the cranes while driving (without having a passenger accompany you)? The A.A. Bridge would be easier because one could potentially park and just walk to the peak of the bridge and snap pix standing on the sidewalk. Not doable on I-195, obviously.

I know, I know... I'm a demanding old cuss, ain't I!

Either way - it'd be cool of we could get this shot, to be sure!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

On 2/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, plain said:

Hmmm.... A new tower crane about to be set up on Broad at the SE corner of Scott's Addition?

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/westbound-lanes-of-west-broad-street-closing-in-scotts-addition-this-weekend/

I think it’s starting.  Kind of hard to see, but should get better as the sun comes up:

C7DCFB26-BF89-4406-B705-AE5FF79BB023.jpeg

• Like 1