JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

It will be stored in a cavity.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha. ouch.

but, seriously. is one of our city's oddest sculptures just gone now? if so, i think that would really sadden me.

i mean, it was shaped like a fluoride compound for god's sake.

looking through this thread, you can see the footprint, so they at least removed it before they demolished the area. does anyone know if it will return?

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have a picture of this thing?  Because I have no idea what you guys are talking about  :blush:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.xkot.net/gallery/2004_06_26-28/grand_rapids_0012

I can't believe I found a picture :P I did read that it was going to be relocated, but I can't remember where, and I can't find the article again.

It was gone quite a while before construction statrted.

I was running downtown in the spring and ran towards it to use the drinking fountain (nothing like a monument with the main feature being a drinking fountain) and was sad to see it gone.

So much for that break to get some water...

It didn't occur to me at the time that it was being replaced by the Marriott.

It was gone quite a while before construction statrted.

I was running downtown in the spring and ran towards it to use the drinking fountain (nothing like a monument with the main feature being a drinking fountain) and was sad to see it gone.

So much for that break to get some water...

It didn't occur to me at the time that it was being replaced by the Marriott.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i remember it was there as they were tearing down the israels building. that was the last time i actually went to it before i investigated the hole last night.

i was telling some friends in portland about how strange it is, and remembered i could see it from my office window. but lo and behold... it's the marriott site...

i've always wanted to use it as a film location.

So, has this hotel officially started construction, yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and no - Site Prep is underway (in a big way) but "offical" groundbreaking hasn't taken place yet. Expected to do so in the next 30 days as they are waiting for Rich DeVos and one of the Van Andel's to get their schedules square.

So, has this hotel officially started construction, yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ceremonial ground breaking I think is Oct. 6th or 10th. But for SSP and Emporis statuses LMich, I would say yah, they've started construction:

32756980255E11DA8816D8DD180B1119.jpg

The hole is so deep already that you can just barely see the roof of an earth-mover in the middle left of this photo. This was a surface lot on Sept. 2nd. They plan to have steel rising fast once the foundation is set, about one floor per week according to the project manager, and soon!

I can't remember, are we talking Steel Erection or Concrete here?

I would guess steel, at a floor a week?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm pretty sure that is what he said either on WOODTV8 or in the Press. The steel would rise about a floor/week, after the foundations are in (obviously) That sounds about right, because at 24 floors, that's almost 6 months of skeleton work, and they are supposed to be finished by mid 2007. He also said that we will see steel rising this Fall (not Winter), and at the rate they are going, I believe them :D

I want to know when we can expect CRANES!!!!!! :P I hope that I can take some photos that include cranes at River House, Marriott, maybe the Riverfront Bldg, and the Art Museum, all in the same shot. I know, I'm dreamin LOL.

I'm pretty sure that is what he said either on WOODTV8 or in the Press.  The steel would rise about a floor/week, after the foundations are in (obviously)  That sounds about right, because at 24 floors, that's almost 6 months of skeleton work, and they are supposed to be finished by mid 2007.  He also said that we will see steel rising this Fall (not Winter), and at the rate they are going, I believe them  :D

I want to know when we can expect CRANES!!!!!! :P  I hope that I can take some photos that include cranes at River House, Marriott, maybe the Riverfront Bldg, and the Art Museum, all in the same shot.  I know, I'm dreamin LOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm so at least we will know what the basic shape will be come summer 2006 :D I bet the skin is on by the following winter, and then the interior will probably take up to a year to finish

I'm excited, but what about all the other projects that were going to break ground this month?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I posted a photo of the Lemmen Holton Cancer Center on the GR Development Thread, which started either today or yesterday. So that's three so far (Riverfront, Marriott, and aforementioned). River House will probably be October with the redraws. The Medical Towers sound like we will see work on Division and the I-196 bridge as the first signs of construction, and then massive grading of that current State of Michigan lot on Michigan. As Prankser mentioned (I believe) it's funny how anything associated with Devos, Van Andel, or Meijer take off right out of the shoot, instead of wondering when they are ever going to start. Love em or hate em.

Riverfront probablly has about two week of mini-piles left with concrete starting in the next week. From there plan on seeing steel before winter..... as for the mariott look plan on at least a month or two for mini-piles with the pile caps (concrete) starting half way through..... im not sure if you will see steel before we snow on that project. The parking ramp wont happen until spring when Riverfront is getting near completion... thats as much of the schedual as i know....

At the rate they are going here, they will have a skeleton before GRAM does!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean. It thinks it's awesome how fast they working. They're not wasting time. It's even more interesting that they've done this much so far and the official groundbreaking hasn't even taken place yet.

A little bird told me GRAM is having a hard time reaching their fund-raising goals (maybe it is the hideous building design?). I heard this has slowed the timeline, hence the "Coming in 2005" being a bit of a reach.

Joe

At the rate they are going here, they will have a skeleton before GRAM does!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I noticed today they are putting up 4x4's along Campau on the edge of the Marriott construction site. I hope they aren't thinking of walling the place in with a privacy fence :sick: And I'm really surprised they don't have a big "Coming Soon, New Marriott" sign on the fence now with big renderings on it. :huh:

Archived