JW Marriott Hotel

GRDadof3

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twoshort, how do you post a thumbnail like that?

Thats a picture taken using the webcam. I didn't want to upload the picture and host it on my website, so I just attached it to the post. When you attach a picture (up to 20mb's per post allowed) they show up as a thumbnail.

I just read the article in the GR Press about the JW Marriott name, and they are actually positioning this hotel to be MORE expensive than the Amway Grand. That way Alticor can offer mid-priced Courtyard, high-priced Amway Grand, and luxury brand JW. Crazy! I would imagine they are basing this on some solid market research, because Marriott and Alticor are no dummies.

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...0450.xml&coll=6

The interior design is going to be done by BBG-BBGM. To get an idea of the other hotel interiors they have done, check out their website:

http://www.bbg-bbgm.com/

and go to Projects>Interiors>Hospitality

Or you can go to Offices>NewYork>Office Projects (they are using the NY office)

The rooms will offer plasma TV's, plush carpeting, separate showers and tubs, and four fixture baths.

For some reason, I'm all about interiors today :huh::P

GRdad, is there something you want to tell us?

I'm not affiliated with Alticor or the hotel, if that is what you mean :P The BBG Interiors website is on the Alticor Hotel page as one of their "partners". Or were you referring to something else? :huh:

Uhh, it is GRDad of 3 and husband of 1. Maybe that's what you meant?

Office Furniture Symposium<-- sounds like a big one (although i image most of the people would just drive to that from home :P)

National Assoc. for Campus Activities<-- should bring out some professors who need hotel rooms :P

Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market Expo<-- that looks fun

Mason-Dixon Dixieland Challenge<-- yeeeeehaw!

the hotel is meant to attract better conventions to the area of course, so we can only hope of that.

Office Furniture Symposium<-- sounds like a big one (although i image most of the people would just drive to that from home :P)

National Assoc. for Campus Activities<-- should bring out some professors who need hotel rooms :P

Great Lakes Fruit, Vegetable and Farm Market Expo<-- that looks fun

Mason-Dixon Dixieland Challenge<-- yeeeeehaw!

the hotel is meant to attract better conventions to the area of course, so we can only hope of that.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the shows they are trying to entice here are looking for a little more "luxury".

That's quite a rocking schedule they have going there bananasmile.gif

Being that i'm "In the Biz", I can tell you that the office furniture industry spans WELL beyond GR/Holland.. granted the biggies are here, but there are a LOT of large companies around the world. Factor in Regional Presidents and VP's from the local 3, that could draw some "rollers" so to speak. I know we have a ton of VP's around the world who wouldn't be staying at the Days Inn :rolleyes:

Being that i'm "In the Biz", I can tell you that the office furniture industry spans WELL beyond GR/Holland.. granted the biggies are here, but there are a LOT of large companies around the world. Factor in Regional Presidents and VP's from the local 3, that could draw some "rollers" so to speak. I know we have a ton of VP's around the world who wouldn't be staying at the Days Inn :rolleyes:

Hon and Knoll are not based here. Isn't Hon out in the Great Plains somewhere, and Knoll down South somewhere? :huh:

Knoll is outta Pennsylvania, and HON (part of the HNI corp) is outta Iowa.

Oh right, Pennsylvania. I don't know why I was thinking South?? At least I got the Iowa part right :D Did anyone else get to do the futuristic "monorail" tour that Knoll used to have at their plant on 36th Street (the one with the tube stickin out the front). Kinda reminded me of Six Flags Autoworld in Flint when it was around.

How did I get so far off of the Marriott topic?

Another article in the GR Press regarding the new JW Marriott brand hotel:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=1

Apparently they are hoping the hotel will help attract convention business away from Chicago and DC. Rooms will be from $150 - $200/night :blink:

Is it true that the CVB hired a rep to work right in D.C. to try and lure a lot of business and service groups to the expanded convention center? I thought I read that right after it opened?

Holy crap! :blink: Isn't that around twice the rates at the Amway Grand?

Just about, especially when they run weekend specials. According to the article, they are trying to lure bigwigs and travel agents who look for luxury hotel brand names. They better get hauling on a world-class entertainment complex downtown, or they are gonna look stupid when the executive team of Smith Barney shows up and wants to venture out, and can only find Blake's Turkey shop. :blink:

Just about, especially when they run weekend specials. According to the article, they are trying to lure bigwigs and travel agents who look for luxury hotel brand names. They better get hauling on a world-class entertainment complex downtown, or they are gonna look stupid when the executive team of Smith Barney shows up and wants to venture out, and can only find Blake's Turkey shop. :blink:

Yah, no kidding. I thought that the new marriott was gonna be less fancy than the amway. Shows what I know.

They now have a video tour thing on the web site that is pretty cool (alticorhotel.com) in case no one has noticed. But I just noticed that it looks like this parking ramp is gonna be at the corner of Pearl and Campau? In the video tour, there is a solid blank wall all along Pearl Street. And along Campau we get a Parking ramp across the street from a parking ramp. WTF is that? Is this true? And if so, I ask where are our city commissioners / planning commissioners on this? What is the point of having a rule against blank walls at street level downtown if you're not going to enforce it? Or do they just rubber-stamp anything with the DeVos/Van Andel name attached to it?

In that video they have a bunch of trees planted along Pearl, but whoopty-s***. A blank wall?!?! It looks like Joe Moch project! ARRGH!

Please someone tell me that this isn't the case. :cry:

Archived