Memphis Riverfront and Mud Island

Memphis4ever

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

I wholeheartedly agree. 

It is that, but some other things as well. 

Unfortunately, Memphis has had some very high profile cases that have garnered national attention (Eliza Fletcher & Tyre Nichols murders, Ezekiel Kelly killings)

Also, the locations of shootings/crime has changed over the years as there have been an uptick in downtown crime in the tourism zones

And statistically, Memphis actually does rank towards the top of the nation in violent crime per capita.  

On 8/14/2023 at 3:22 PM, JTM1 said:

The mayoral candidates that I have heard, answer questions about the city moving forward, appeared to be more about replacing the Liberty Bowl, not renovating it, because Memphis has a need for more convention space. 

Help me understand something, there was a shooting in a Nashville library last week, and there is all types of crime in downtown Nashville, why is it that Memphis is seen a lawless place, but Nashville isn't?  

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/from-cleanliness-to-crowds-nashville-appoints-director-of-nightlife-to-tackle-downtown-issues

I found out about the "mass shooting" in Memphis via a Facebook post by KFSM TV 5, the local Tenga owned CBS station in NWA. They did not post about Nashville. That is a sister station to WREG. What that did was take the highest viewed local station's social media platform and inform potentially 1 million people about 4 to 5  hours away of that incident.  I see the stupidity every time I come home  on I- 240, there's never not a car going well over a 100 mph and at least half the time I experience at least two cars racing. That's fact, not my opinion.

I have said for years (here and Skyscraper City) that Memphis should have built a new Convention Center/Hotel near Beale St. with a closed or retractable fabric roof stadium in the 50 to 55k range .  Much like BC Place in Vancouver BC Canada.

Edited by Wayward Memphian
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

I found out about the "mass shooting" in Memphis via a Facebook post by KFSM TV 5, the local Tenga owned CBS station in NWA. They did not post about Nashville. That is a sister station to WREG. What that did was take the highest viewed local station's social media platform and inform potentially 1 million people about 4 to 5  hours away of that incident.  I see the stupidity every time I come home  on I- 240, there's never not a car going well over a 100 mph and at least half the time I experience at least two cars racing. That's fact, not my opinion.

I have said for years (here and Skyscraper City) that Memphis should have built a new Convention Center/Hotel near Beale St. with a closed or retractable fabric roof stadium in the 50 to 55k range .  Much like BC Place in Vancouver BC Canada.

Lets get something straight the news in Memphis is obsessed with the term mass shooting.  Every shooting that has happened this year has been mass something.  I hate how the news in memphis repeats the negative stories 400 times a day.  Yet i was downtown the next night at sunset jazz in the park which happens every second sunday and there are never any issues, or yoga in the park etc.  Downtown late at night can accumulate large groups of people hanging in the parking lots just listening to music and hanging out and most crazy events stem from those large groups.  The issue is that beale street has about 50 police stationed at any time yet the intersections around beale where younger people that cant enter the street hang have no law enforcement.  Everyone is concerned with Beale when the cops need to spread out to adjacent intersection mainly near the hooters and the flying saucer and main street at peaybody place.

6 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Lets get something straight the news in Memphis is obsessed with the term mass shooting.  Every shooting that has happened this year has been mass something.  I hate how the news in memphis repeats the negative stories 400 times a day.  Yet i was downtown the next night at sunset jazz in the park which happens every second sunday and there are never any issues, or yoga in the park etc.  Downtown late at night can accumulate large groups of people hanging in the parking lots just listening to music and hanging out and most crazy events stem from those large groups.  The issue is that beale street has about 50 police stationed at any time yet the intersections around beale where younger people that cant enter the street hang have no law enforcement.  Everyone is concerned with Beale when the cops need to spread out to adjacent intersection mainly near the hooters and the flying saucer and main street at peaybody place.

Without getting into the political muck, the term mass shooting has been high jacked by one political party and their friends in the  media in the shaping of the gun debate. Kinda like.how every thunderboomer and front  is a product of climate change.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

Such a shame to loose a festival that was famous around the world. The park creates isolation and a potential liability and unfortunately, like other open space downtown, will not be maintained properly.  Our crime wave will ruin this park and keep any festivals away if it is allowed to continue.

It’s time to build the land bridge and move it to Mud Island 

On 8/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, JTM1 said:

The mayoral candidates that I have heard, answer questions about the city moving forward, appeared to be more about replacing the Liberty Bowl, not renovating it, because Memphis has a need for more convention space. 

Help me understand something, there was a shooting in a Nashville library last week, and there is all types of crime in downtown Nashville, why is it that Memphis is seen a lawless place, but Nashville isn't?  

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/from-cleanliness-to-crowds-nashville-appoints-director-of-nightlife-to-tackle-downtown-issues

The media shares a large part in the reason why perception of Memphis is "dangerous." 

Also, Memphis does have a larger share of neighborhoods that have seen much better days, and are a good spot for those to "hang out" that would commit crimes.

Memphis has suffered from consistently bad national and international news coverage since the assassination of Dr. King in 1968.  The city’s poverty, high crime and a declining population have only added to that negative image.  Many areas of Memphis have seen much better days and there has been an overall long term lack of investment and development compared to the fast growing cities.  

Edited by Nothingspectacular
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:44 PM, MDC26 said:

It is that, but some other things as well. 

Unfortunately, Memphis has had some very high profile cases that have garnered national attention (Eliza Fletcher & Tyre Nichols murders, Ezekiel Kelly killings)

Also, the locations of shootings/crime has changed over the years as there have been an uptick in downtown crime in the tourism zones

And statistically, Memphis actually does rank towards the top of the nation in violent crime per capita.  

It is just that. Look at how the local media is portraying cruising, something that I participated in when I was a teenager. I even road up to Dyersburg, with some friends, and those country boys do it up there too.

The media determine which violent crime is high profile compared to another, because of the coverage they give to it, and what happened to Eliza Fletcher and Tyre Nichols is no different than what occurred in Oklahoma City and Philadelphia last week and Denver last month. Since the Ezekeil Kelly incident there has been a mass shooting in Louisville, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Clarksville, Pine Bluff, several in Texas etc. I could go on, but there is no need.

What is the uptick in crime that is occurring downtown in the tourism zones? I was in Nashville, in June, and there was a guy shot and killed at a bar near Music Row and there is some form of altercation in downtown Nashville every night.

I worked in criminal justice prior to opening my own business and one of the things that I know about the stats that are often used to measure a city’s crime is that they’re not always accurate, because most cities, especially those that depend on tourism dollars, don’t accurately report the crime. That’s not the case with Memphis.

Having said that, Memphis has its issues, but the city is moving in the right direction. There are investments being made in communities that has been starving for investment. The pandemic slowed down some things, but I heard this weekend, the movie studio, planned for Whitehaven, is still a go. Look at Tone.

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/community/westwood-residents-work-together-revitalize-southwest-twin-drive-in-movie-theater-memphis/522-32862cd7-b6a9-4c02-9887-91cdca5be955

https://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/57754/1/the-spirit-of-soul-lives-on-a-deep-dive-into-the-memphis-culture-scene

There is not one block of downtown Memphis that not experiencing some form of rehab or new development. The same with the Edge, Uptown, Medical district, Broad Ave etc. It’s all over Memphis. Public gather spaces are quite active, because people are coming out to enjoy the city, despite being told, by the media, the city is in chaos.  

• Like 2

On 8/16/2023 at 10:23 AM, Wayward Memphian said:

Paul Young was asked a question, this past week, about the funds that have been allocated for the Liberty Bowl and FedEx Forum. Something he said stood out to me. He said, there is a way to raise the funds that all projects can be completed. He see sports not as just an amenity, but something that will generate revenue for the city.  It's might hope that they will revisit the Liberty Bowl proposal and look at it as more than just a sports stadium, but a conference center, and one that is capable of hosting all types of sports activities. 

9 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

The media shares a large part in the reason why perception of Memphis is "dangerous." 

Also, Memphis does have a larger share of neighborhoods that have seen much better days, and are a good spot for those to "hang out" that would commit crimes.

It's nothing but perception. There are people that live in Memphis that are afraid to go to certain areas of the city, because of perception.  I am not one of them, because I am seeing investment happening in those areas that have been overlooked.  There are a lot of good things happening in this city. 

• Like 2

It’s much more than just perception. The facts and data about crime, poverty, education and population loss are nothing new and speak volumes about the problems facing Memphis.  Yes there is some development and redevelopment  underway or planned, but the big projects don’t ever seem to become reality in Memphis., especially downtown. The city and mid south region have a tepid economy and are decades behind other cities.  

16 hours ago, JTM1 said:

It is just that. Look at how the local media is portraying cruising, something that I participated in when I was a teenager. I even road up to Dyersburg, with some friends, and those country boys do it up there too.

The media determine which violent crime is high profile compared to another, because of the coverage they give to it, and what happened to Eliza Fletcher and Tyre Nichols is no different than what occurred in Oklahoma City and Philadelphia last week and Denver last month. Since the Ezekeil Kelly incident there has been a mass shooting in Louisville, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Clarksville, Pine Bluff, several in Texas etc. I could go on, but there is no need.

What is the uptick in crime that is occurring downtown in the tourism zones? I was in Nashville, in June, and there was a guy shot and killed at a bar near Music Row and there is some form of altercation in downtown Nashville every night.

I worked in criminal justice prior to opening my own business and one of the things that I know about the stats that are often used to measure a city’s crime is that they’re not always accurate, because most cities, especially those that depend on tourism dollars, don’t accurately report the crime. That’s not the case with Memphis.

Having said that, Memphis has its issues, but the city is moving in the right direction. There are investments being made in communities that has been starving for investment. The pandemic slowed down some things, but I heard this weekend, the movie studio, planned for Whitehaven, is still a go. Look at Tone.

https://www.localmemphis.com/article/news/community/westwood-residents-work-together-revitalize-southwest-twin-drive-in-movie-theater-memphis/522-32862cd7-b6a9-4c02-9887-91cdca5be955

https://www.dazeddigital.com/music/article/57754/1/the-spirit-of-soul-lives-on-a-deep-dive-into-the-memphis-culture-scene

There is not one block of downtown Memphis that not experiencing some form of rehab or new development. The same with the Edge, Uptown, Medical district, Broad Ave etc. It’s all over Memphis. Public gather spaces are quite active, because people are coming out to enjoy the city, despite being told, by the media, the city is in chaos.  

When I was living downtown, there was lots of cruising 2003-2005, and then it just stopped.  I don't remember how or why it stopped, but it did.  But, there was never any issues from it other than making it very difficult to get somewhere.  However, things have changed.  When I was living downtown, there was hardly ever any serious crime, and I never felt threatened.  Now there are shootings and armed robberies every single weekend downtown.  Its reported more, because it happens more.  Yes, there's significant investment going on in the downtown neighborhoods, but crime is still happening, and if something isn't changed, it will hurt economic development.  

• Like 1

I remember around 2005/2006 Memphis crime "rose" in numbers because MPD started using FBI raw data comprehensive crime reporting system. Alot of cities at the time weren't counting up data the same. I remember someone explaining it online like... because of the FBI reporting some crimes would be counted double, triple, or more. Like if a fight broke out and multiple people got involved, in the old reporting it would count as one Assault, vs now it would account as multiple assaults with all involved. 

I'm not sure if other cities adapted this reporting system by the FBI, but that increased our numbers noticeably compared to the year before and exaggerated our numbers compared to cities that didnt.

Edited by TheKernel91

• 2 weeks later...

While the park is an improvement, it still looks very suburban.  Too much like Shelby Farms. It’s a shame they didn’t have the money or imagination to build something truly spectacular with an iconic centerpiece.  The night time lighting needs to be brighter as there are many dark areas. I would worry at lot about safety at night and hope the Memphis police will have a lot of presence both day and night. 

Edited by Nothingspectacular
  • Like 1

It looks amazing. 
I was in OKC this weekend and walked through Scissortail Park at night. It was phenomenal. It’s across the street from their new convention center, and catty-corner to their NBA arena. It is 40 acres and another 30 acres across the interstate, connected by a pedestrian bridge. It was filled with people. Families, kids, adults. Hopefully Tom Lee will be that way. 

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 8:57 AM, Nothingspectacular said:

While the park is an improvement, it still looks very suburban.  Too much like Shelby Farms. It’s a shame they didn’t have the money or imagination to build something truly spectacular with an iconic centerpiece.  The night time lighting needs to be brighter as there are many dark areas. I would worry at lot about safety at night and hope the Memphis police will have a lot of presence both day and night. 

No the pictures dont do it justice you have to see it in person and keep in mind the large grass spaces were left for Memphis in May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

No the pictures dont do it justice you have to see it in person and keep in mind the large grass spaces were left for Memphis in May.

Honestly MIM will be moving. The price gauging associated with damage fees have ran them out! It’s time to build a land Bridge connecting TLP to MI and renovate amphitheater and use the open land near flag poles to host BSMF clear the trees back and u have the space available.

IMG_1164.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 9:44 AM, Memphis4ever said:

Unfortunately, the park was totally trashed by Monday, looked like a war zone after a weekend of abuse. The greatest flaw of the design is that it cannot withstand  Memphis crime and our careless citizenry. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 9/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, DowntownUrbanite said:

Unfortunately, the park was totally trashed by Monday, looked like a war zone after a weekend of abuse. The greatest flaw of the design is that it cannot withstand  Memphis crime and our careless citizenry. 

I have heard or seen nothing of this please do not bring this type of energy to this Memphis blog this is about truth and positivity not speculations. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...