Memphis Riverfront and Mud Island

Memphis4ever

11 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

MIM BBQ fest is moving to Liberty Park. Thoughts anyone?

It seems like a lot of downtown events and entities are moving East.  The move of the MLGW HQ is a big blow to downtown.  Memphis is stagnant and has way too many empty buildings and vacant lots.  Unfortunately development rarely seems to happen. 

22 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

MIM BBQ fest is moving to Liberty Park. Thoughts anyone?

It's the most logical choice of the two options that were being considered - one of which was moving the event out of Memphis entirely. Most of the participants that were surveyed by MIM already had some familiarity with Liberty Park from the two times the event was moved there, and some of the feedback was largely positive.

Well, the Musicfest is kaput. Congrats to the River Park filk that wanted it gone for years(decades). One of the reasons I wanted a downtown stadium adjacent to Beale, the Music Fest,  a larger venue that was needed to bolster the attendance needed for profitability. 

MiM is a shell of it's former self with the crime (smash and grabs of cars) and self sabotage by supposed community leaders.

Meanwhile I'm going to Sting tonight in Northwest Arkansas. Never thought I'd see the day that NWA was a better concert scene than Memphis. But, alas.

Edited by Wayward Memphian

More bad news for Memphis.  This city can’t catch a break. 

From Commercial Appeal, 10/12/23

Memphis in May scraps Beale Street Music Festival in 2024. Here's what we know.

Memphis in May has suspended Beale Street Music Festival for 2024,

The three-day music festival will not be held in 2024, according to an email from Memphis in May obtained Thursday by The Commercial Appeal. Memphis in May sent a new release officially announcing the news later Thursday afternoon.

"We wanted to share that the Board of Directors has made the very difficult decision to suspend the Beale Street Music Festival in 2024," said Kevin Grothe, vice president of sponsorships for Memphis in May, in the email.

Grothe added that several factors played into the decision including, "record financial loss in 2022 and 2023... decline in attendance, increasing costs of artists fees, and the extraordinary $1.4 million bill to repair Tom Lee Park."

4 hours ago, Nothingspectacular said:

More bad news for Memphis.  This city can’t catch a break. 

From Commercial Appeal, 10/12/23

Memphis in May scraps Beale Street Music Festival in 2024. Here's what we know.

Memphis in May has suspended Beale Street Music Festival for 2024,

The three-day music festival will not be held in 2024, according to an email from Memphis in May obtained Thursday by The Commercial Appeal. Memphis in May sent a new release officially announcing the news later Thursday afternoon.

"We wanted to share that the Board of Directors has made the very difficult decision to suspend the Beale Street Music Festival in 2024," said Kevin Grothe, vice president of sponsorships for Memphis in May, in the email.

Grothe added that several factors played into the decision including, "record financial loss in 2022 and 2023... decline in attendance, increasing costs of artists fees, and the extraordinary $1.4 million bill to repair Tom Lee Park."

While you're joyously frothing at the mouth, about this pause of the BSMF, I feel that I must inform you this is a good thing for Memphis, because mismanagement and a lack of vision was killing the musicfest. The BSMF was stale, needed to be reimagined, with a fresh new vision. I have already seen where other people are stepping up to do what the present MIM president and MIM administration has failed to do.  Your "Memphis can't catch a break" phrase should read that Memphis needed this break. Perhaps you should be concerned that Nashville lost the CMT Awards, because the city has become too expensive. 

30 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

While you're joyously frothing at the mouth, about this pause of the BSMF, I feel that I must inform you this is a good thing for Memphis, because mismanagement and a lack of vision was killing the musicfest. The BSMF was stale, needed to be reimagined, with a fresh new vision. I have already seen where other people are stepping up to do what the present MIM president and MIM administration has failed to do.  Your "Memphis can't catch a break" phrase should read that Memphis needed this break. Perhaps you should be concerned that Nashville lost the CMT Awards, because the city has become too expensive. 

Nothingspectacular and dxfret are the same person.

Anyway, I feel the people running Memphis in May need to be shown the door at this point and have some new people come in to oversee the organization and its operations. To be $3 million+ in the hole is inexcusable and indicative of how poor of a job they have been doing when it comes to not only booking acts (this year's BSMF lineup was lackluster compared to years past), but also adapting to an ever-changing riverfront downtown. And then to blame the redesign of Tom Lee Park and MRPP for those losses when they had 2-3 years to develop a new strategy for MIM rather than fight it out in a courtroom basically amounts to scapegoating on their part.

It only makes MIM look like the real bad guys here.

• Like 1

Memphis in May is upset right now because of a lawsuit.  It has nothing to do with downtown but more with them finally having to be accountable for their damages.  Also the festival has not really done well since covid.  the festivities need to be revamped to appeal first to more locals and second tourists.  Memphis in May will be fine, but it must adjust to changing times demographics and entertainment expectations.  Memphis is afraid of change and things have got to adapt.

• Like 2

”Perhaps
 you should be concerned that Nashville lost the CMT Awards, because the city has become too expensive. “

This  is false information.  The CMA Awards were moved to Austin for one year only because CBS TV changed the broadcast date and no suitable venues were available in Nashville as all were fully booked with other performances.   
The show returns on November 8, 2023 at Bridgestone Arena in downtown Nashville. 

14 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Memphis in May is upset right now because of a lawsuit.  It has nothing to do with downtown but more with them finally having to be accountable for their damages.  Also the festival has not really done well since covid.  the festivities need to be revamped to appeal first to more locals and second tourists.  Memphis in May will be fine, but it must adjust to changing times demographics and entertainment expectations.  Memphis is afraid of change and things have got to adapt.

I read where more of the damage came from BBQF as opposed to BSMF.  Heard that the Music Fest went well, even with all the changes, just lower attended.  But, Music fest probably has a higher operating costs with the fees of all the musicians, and if you aren't going to recover that from low ticket sales, it makes sense that they would pause the event.  BBQ fest probably probably takes care of itself with operating cost and not as dependent upon ticket sales.  

Regarding why BSMF has gotten to this point is probably a multitude of factors.  COVID has greatly disrupted people's patterns and spending habits.  Cancelling Music Fest two years in a row, then having it at Liberty Park has resulted in not having it at its usual location for 3 years.  This has probably broken the pattern of many people who attended it every year, and prevented many people from the coming of age point to where they would have attended their first Music Fest.  That window has passed and something else in their lives could have filled in that gap.

I also think it is impossible to deny that there is a not so insignificant effect from the Tom Lee Park redesign.  From the beginning, I knew it would forever change Music Fest as it would not be able to have the same setup with the same stages, and could not hold the same capacity.  The park is much better now, and has better layout for year round and varied usage.  It has just had a trade off in negatively affecting MIM.  I don't fault anyone for on which side they stand: Either favoring a historically successful two weekend  music & BBQ festival that is important to downtown, or favoring an incredibly well designed river front park with high and variable uses.  

It could also be that Mempho Music Fest has taken away from BSMF, or even that BSMF has lost its luster and run its course.   Hopefully there will be some new blood on the BOD and come up with some ideas and changes that can breath new life into BSMF.

Also of note, River Fest, which was downtown Little Rock's festival that included concerts, food, activities, and other vendors shutdown in 2017 after 40 years.  They cited not being able to deliver the same quality product that attendees have come to expect, as performers fees have increased and other competing festivals around the country. 

Edited by MDC26

20 hours ago, James Owen said:

Nothingspectacular and dxfret are the same person.

Anyway, I feel the people running Memphis in May need to be shown the door at this point and have some new people come in to oversee the organization and its operations. To be $3 million+ in the hole is inexcusable and indicative of how poor of a job they have been doing when it comes to not only booking acts (this year's BSMF lineup was lackluster compared to years past), but also adapting to an ever-changing riverfront downtown. And then to blame the redesign of Tom Lee Park and MRPP for those losses when they had 2-3 years to develop a new strategy for MIM rather than fight it out in a courtroom basically amounts to scapegoating on their part.

It only makes MIM look like the real bad guys here.

I agree. 

10 hours ago, Nothingspectacular said:

”Perhaps
 you should be concerned that Nashville lost the CMT Awards, because the city has become too expensive. “

This  is false information.  The CMA Awards were moved to Austin for one year only because CBS TV changed the broadcast date and no suitable venues were available in Nashville as all were fully booked with other performances.   
The show returns on November 8, 2023 at Bridgestone Arena in downtown Nashville. 

https://www.kvue.com/article/entertainment/events/cmt-music-awards-austin-moody-center-2024/269-a57a2eb1-9c2b-4290-b62c-49f25255351c

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

Ouch! After being humiliated for being so wrong, nothingspectacular won’t be able to show his face around here anymore…until he comes up with another screen name. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:19 PM, Memphis4ever said:

Change is inevitable and yes adapting to change is visionary.  A revamp of mud Island would be ideal to Host BSMF and WBBQ contest. The land bridge needs to happen & a upgrade to Amphitheater and monorail is a must. Vision and infrastructure investment is what’s needed 

For decades now Memphis has suffered from an inferiority complex  of just about everything happening in Tennessee’s capital city.  That’s understandable as Nashville is one of America’s fastest growing and most popular cities along with its peer cities of Austin, Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.  Memphis is at a different tier, more similar to Birmingham, Little Rock and Jackson, MS. 
Also it should be pointed out that CMA and CMT are different organizations and awards shows.  Facts and data matter. 

Edited by Nothingspectacular
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, Nothingspectacular said:

For decades now Memphis has suffered from an inferiority complex  of just about everything happening in Tennessee’s capital city.  That’s understandable as Nashville is one of America’s fastest growing and most popular cities along with its peer cities of Austin, Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.  Memphis is at a different tier, more similar to Birmingham, Little Rock and Jackson, MS. 
Also it should be pointed out that CMA and CMT are different organizations and awards shows.  Facts and data matter. 

I wouldn’t say that Memphians have an inferiority complex about everything happening in Tennessee’s capital, but Memphians rightly point out the discrepancies made between the state’s capital and the state’s largest city. I would argue that Memphians are resilient in the face of adversity and the independence expressed by this city is intimidating to the rest of the state, especially the lawmakers in charge of governing.

The state is going to give Nashville nearly $500 million to relocate a performing arts center. Show me where the state has given anything like that to Memphis for the Arts, and Memphis has a more established, active, and robust, arts scene.

Nashville is what it is and despite Nashville’s recent emergence as a party city to get drunk, Memphis is still more popular and has a more diverse and richness in culture. People don’t come to Memphis to get drunk, but they come because of its genuineness and culture. Don’t try to compare Memphis to any other city. You have to compare Nashville to another city, to give it an identity, but Memphis doesn’t need do that, because it has its own unique identity.

I mentioned CMT Awards, not CMA. You’re the one that tried to counter with CMA. It doesn’t change from my original post that Nashville has become too expensive, and the city lost the CMT Awards because of it.

Having said all of that, Memphis is moving in the right direction. Instead of erasing the city’s character and charm, razing buildings, and replacing them with glass towers that are sitting half empty, Memphis developers are reimagining and restoring the old. Great things are happening in this city from the riverfront to the most eastern edge and I don’t need you to tell me about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

I wouldn’t say that Memphians have an inferiority complex about everything happening in Tennessee’s capital, but Memphians rightly point out the discrepancies made between the state’s capital and the state’s largest city. I would argue that Memphians are resilient in the face of adversity and the independence expressed by this city is intimidating to the rest of the state, especially the lawmakers in charge of governing.

The state is going to give Nashville nearly $500 million to relocate a performing arts center. Show me where the state has given anything like that to Memphis for the Arts, and Memphis has a more established, active, and robust, arts scene.

Nashville is what it is and despite Nashville’s recent emergence as a party city to get drunk, Memphis is still more popular and has a more diverse and richness in culture. People don’t come to Memphis to get drunk, but they come because of its genuineness and culture. Don’t try to compare Memphis to any other city. You have to compare Nashville to another city, to give it an identity, but Memphis doesn’t need do that, because it has its own unique identity.

I mentioned CMT Awards, not CMA. You’re the one that tried to counter with CMA. It doesn’t change from my original post that Nashville has become too expensive, and the city lost the CMT Awards because of it.

Having said all of that, Memphis is moving in the right direction. Instead of erasing the city’s character and charm, razing buildings, and replacing them with glass towers that are sitting half empty, Memphis developers are reimagining and restoring the old. Great things are happening in this city from the riverfront to the most eastern edge and I don’t need you to tell me about it.

I second that sentiment. Nashville is a fast growing city, however in what way are they growing?? Is the growth making it have better quality of life or Too expensive for most to swallow so they choose the outskirts and a 45 -60 minute drive into the core of Nashville?? Keep in mind that’s both ways.  Are they incurring so much debt from the growth that the city’s bond rating has suffered because of it. Have they addressed the public Transit issue that continues to haunt the population but the city doesn’t have the backing of its citizens to address it because they can’t afford more taxes. Have they grown so much that a lot of industries no longer look @ Nashville because of extremely ridiculous land acquisition prices?? So when u say fastest growing I agree but the ultimate question is in what way ?? And is that growth conducive with the citizens being able to enjoy Quality of life from that growth or they are priced out??  Furthermore speaking as someone who has been there several times, it’s not better than San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte. While true it has grown more & faster than Memphis, Nashville really has capped and can forget MLB, WNBA.  Truthfully speaking 

On 10/15/2023 at 9:03 AM, Nothingspectacular said:

Nashville is one of America’s fastest growing and most popular cities along with its peer cities of Austin, Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte.  Memphis is at a different tier, more similar to Birmingham, Little Rock and Jackson, MS. 

You say this and come on a Memphis forum to down a "different tier" city, but I gaurntee you're not on those listed cities pages to do the same, and you should, since they're a peer city and more in competition.

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

You say this and come on a Memphis forum to down a "different tier" city, but I gaurntee you're not on those listed cities pages to do the same, and you should, since they're a peer city and more in competition.

Not sure why he post here but I’m 100 percent sure Austin and Charlotte are much more progressive than Nashville. U notice he never responded to my post. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:35 PM, Memphisborn said:

Not sure why he post here but I’m 100 percent sure Austin and Charlotte are much more progressive than Nashville. U notice he never responded to my post. 

To say Memphis and Jackson MS are in the same category is an insult.  Cleary just because Memphis doesn't have tall glass buildings does not mean it is not growing.  You have complete areas like Binghampton, South city, Uptown, Broad Avenue, even the Highland row area near the U of M that have been completely rebuilt with new walkable areas.  The city and even the suburbs have seen impressive projects that are game changers for future development patterns.  Silo Square in southaven, the Lake district in Lakeland,  the Thornwood development in Germantown,  upcoming convention center and hotel in southaven, Astoria square in Millington and the 700 million dollar mixed use development in east memphis. and the saddle creek redevelopment.  These projects would be significant even in Nashville.  Folks that do not live here really have no clue of all that is going on this is one reason why i try to post construction photos on a regular basis.   

• Like 4