Waterfront District - Riverfront Redevelopment

Memphisborn

Memphis mayor pitches riverfront redevelopment plan with new lake, cruise ship docks, Ferris wheel

https://www.wreg.com/news/local/memphis-mayor-pitches-riverfront-redevelopment-plan-with-new-lake-cruise-ship-docks-ferris-wheel/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — City council members this week got a look at a proposal to dam up the Wolf River harbor creating a recreational lake, expand the city’s cruise ship docks and possibly add a Ferris wheel to the Memphis riverbank.

Mayor Jim Strickland, who showed off the plans as part of a presentation on the city legislative priorities in Nashville, said he plans to ask the state for some of the money required for the projects.

“I think it’s time to ask big of Nashville,” he said.

The top priority, he said, is expanding the current docking facilities at Beale Street Landing and adding a second dock at the north end of Mud Island to accommodate a growing flood of cruise ships he expects will want to stop in the Bluff City on their way down the Mississippi.

“People are willing to pay $5,000 a piece to go in a cruise ship and cruise up and down the Mississippi. Memphis is their second favorite stop behind New Orleans,” Strickland said. “Viking is about to enter the market, and Viking has said they will be in Memphi,s once they get going, every single day within four or five years.”

Right now they’re estimating just for the added docks at $25 million. The city plans to ask the state to help with the costs, and will ask the boat companies to help as well.

The dock at Beale Street Landing opened in 2014 at a cost of $43 million, and is undergoing more than $1 million in renovations.

But Strickland said that dock, which faced criticism for its cost, is already too small to handle the volume from the growing cruise ship industry, and entrepreneurs could build restaurants at the dock and nearby cobblestones. Changes need to be made in the “next year or two,” he said.

Another part of the proposal would dam up part of the harbor between Mud Island and the riverfront to create a 1.5-mile lake for boating, swimming and recreation. Strickland compared it to a lake in downtown Austin, Texas.

Finally, plans show a Ferris wheel on the east side of the riverbank. Strickland said the city is in contact with a company that wants to install one.

Council member Martavious Jones said he’s all aboard.

“People go to cities, people move to cities for stuff like this,” Jones said.

Rendering:

Edited by VSRJ
Rename thread, add story text, rendering video
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Mud Island needs to be redeveloped desperately. Aquarium, updated amphitheater, Hotel, spa, retail. Also can we revisit a name change. Blue note island, Big River Island, something other than the current non marketable name. 

A name change is unlikely since Memphians have been calling the sandbar/peninsula "Mud Island" for decades, though I do agree a rebranding is needed along with new and updated amenities. Revamping/expanding the amphitheater is a good starting point along with turning the southern end into a water park.

Some of the things I've noticed in the presentation that weren't mentioned:

- The addition of an elevator on the Mud Island walkway/monorail with access from/to the Welcome Center (IMO, they need to replace the current rail cars with new ones as they've been in continual use for 30+ years)

- The proposed new levy/land bridge would (depending on it's final placement just north of the A.W. Willis Bridge) connect Harbor Town with Uptown & the Snuff District development in addition to creating a new recreational lake area.

I am curious to know more about what a potential new boat dock on the northern end of Mud Island by the Wolf River would look like (it's currently a parking lot with a small ramp for boats to use), but that part of the proposal might receive the most push back from those living in Harbor Town depending on its primary use, traffic concerns, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Owen said:

A name change is unlikely since Memphians have been calling the sandbar/peninsula "Mud Island" for decades, though I do agree a rebranding is needed along with new and updated amenities. Revamping/expanding the amphitheater is a good starting point along with turning the southern end into a water park.

Some of the things I've noticed in the presentation that weren't mentioned:

- The addition of an elevator on the Mud Island walkway/monorail with access from/to the Welcome Center (IMO, they need to replace the current rail cars with new ones as they've been in continual use for 30+ years)

- The proposed new levy/land bridge would (depending on it's final placement just north of the A.W. Willis Bridge) connect Harbor Town with Uptown & the Snuff District development in addition to creating a new recreational lake area.

I am curious to know more about what a potential new boat dock on the northern end of Mud Island by the Wolf River would look like (it's currently a parking lot with a small ramp for boats to use), but that part of the proposal might receive the most push back from those living in Harbor Town depending on its primary use, traffic concerns, etc.

It’s a good possibility that Bass pro could be working behind the scenes on a Mud Island redevelopment plan. They have expressed interest in the past and it sits in their backyard. Wouldn’t surprise me @ all if they become the private investor/ operator of the proposed Aquarium and other uses on mud Island Big cedar lodge and wonders of wildlife is hugely successful. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/90524626

• VSRJ changed the title to Waterfront District - Riverfront Redevelopment
3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I wonder if the Mud Island tram will ever return. It was such a cool, unique way to get across the harbor. I also hope the ferris wheel is a bit larger. But otherwise, this looks really cool.

Good question about the tram I too would like to see it return in a more modern design and also the overpass bridge be redeveloped into a more pedestrian friendly path that would make the proposed elevator more enticing for people to use. Something like the New York hi line would be a good blue print. With art work/ benches (charging stations) drinking water. Scooter stations plants etc. here’s a look.

https://www.metalocus.es/en/news/highline-new-york-phase-ii

3 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Is this going to happen, or just an aspirational dream for the city? 

The Mayor has stated it’s his top priority in 2022 also he is asking the state & Viking & American steamboat for funds to make it a reality. Last he made it clear if state say no city will find the funds somewhere, he has council support and I believe this will happen. Just my opinion 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I wonder if the Mud Island tram will ever return. It was such a cool, unique way to get across the harbor. I also hope the ferris wheel is a bit larger. But otherwise, this looks really cool.

The current rail cars are close to 40 years old, and the MRPP says it would cost roughly $5 million to overhaul and put the monorail back into full service.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/07/26/city-of-memphis-funds-for-mud-island-amphitheater.html

Also, there was that incident three years ago when the monorail stopped working altogether, and those who were inside had to climb out and onto the walkway above.

Seems odd to put a cruise boat dock at the North side of mud island. People step off and the are two miles from downtown. Would have to have buses. Would be ideal to have it on the South end of Mud Island and connect it with Beale street landing with another pedestrian bridge. I know it’s just money and they’d have to build it tall enough for the riverboats to get under it. 

13 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Seems odd to put a cruise boat dock at the North side of mud island. People step off and the are two miles from downtown. Would have to have buses. Would be ideal to have it on the South end of Mud Island and connect it with Beale street landing with another pedestrian bridge. I know it’s just money and they’d have to build it tall enough for the riverboats to get under it. 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, VSRJ said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing...

Cruise line arrivals push waterfront plans

Looks like the city has big plans for the cruise industry in Memphis. Mayor wants more docking facilities and dam up a section of Wolf River Harbor to create a lake. I think this would be big for the city. 

Quote:
The first docking at Memphis for Viking Cruises will be at the end of June — one of six Memphis-to-New Orleans or New Orleans-to-Memphis river cruises this year billed as “Heart of the Delta.”

Three of the eight-day cruises, each with five guided tours, were sold out as of Friday, Jan. 28.

Viking Cruises joins American Queen and American Cruise Lines in the Memphis market, and in the Mississippi River overnight cruise business.

Mayor Jim Strickland is pushing for $26.6 million in funding to expand the boat dock at Beale Street Landing and add another cruise boat landing in Greenbelt Park on the Mississippi River side of Mud Island.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/me...terfront-plans

71720_960

71706_960

71707_960

71719_960

71709_960

I’m hoping they can get the funding this project needs to happen

• Like 2