Byrd Park / Carillon / Maymont / Randolph

ancientcarpenter

• Icetera changed the title to Byrd Park / Carillon / Maymont / Randolph

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Discussion for all things Byrd Park neighborhood.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/11/18/rehab-to-add-second-floor-to-old-west-end-market-building-in-byrd-park/

Rehab to add second floor to old West End Market building in Byrd Park

This is pretty big development for Byrd Park neighborhood, as it is technically a relatively small neighborhood since the highway cut it off to the Fan, Meadow acts as a wall to Randolph, and of course the many lakes that surround it create almost an island for this neighborhood. 

Someone making this retail investment there is a good sign to come for the neighborhood as houses are starting to creep into the $550k range now, now rivaling or even some outbidding the fan homes per sqft. A ground floor retail market for that small of a neighborhood population is showing of the changes of that neighborhood. 

This is fantastic! I hope this becomes the catalyst for new residential growth in that neighborhood. In reading the comments of the one reader who posted on RBS, apparently this huge city block's worth of undeveloped/vacant land is owned by Sixth Baptist Church, just a block west on Idelwood. I'd be curious to know how much it would cost to pry this fantastic developable block from the church, and if they'd even sell? How amazing would it be to see a developer or developers come in and built out tightly packed rowhouses along that entire block of Idelwood from the market west to Addison, and perhaps a 3 or 4 story apartment building north of the alley in the northeast portion of the property at the corner of Grayland and Shields?  See picture below marked up with conceptual developments - orange/yellow = rowhouses. red box = apartment building.

If somehow the church would sell off the land, think of how new residential development might transform that neighborhood.

Screenshot (373).png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

This is fantastic! I hope this becomes the catalyst for new residential growth in that neighborhood. In reading the comments of the one reader who posted on RBS, apparently this huge city block's worth of undeveloped/vacant land is owned by Sixth Baptist Church, just a block west on Idelwood. I'd be curious to know how much it would cost to pry this fantastic developable block from the church, and if they'd even sell? How amazing would it be to see a developer or developers come in and built out tightly packed rowhouses along that entire block of Idelwood from the market west to Addison, and perhaps a 3 or 4 story apartment building north of the alley in the northeast portion of the property at the corner of Grayland and Shields?  See picture below marked up with conceptual developments - orange/yellow = rowhouses. red box = apartment building.

If somehow the church would sell off the land, think of how new residential development might transform that neighborhood.

Screenshot (373).png

The church used the parking lot (west portion of the orange rectangle) in sundays and that is it. I think membership is dwindling but it's still an active church. Maybe one time in 5 years I've seen them use the overflow (red square) parking. The lot next to this development site is also property of the church and I think they use it as some type of small office space. It would be great if they sold it all and built new homes honestly. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Historic Richmond is giving a virtual lecture Sept 22nd - Maps Matter: Exploring the Past and Future of the Randolph Neighborhood

Register here - https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/5916624881851/WN_Zjo_hiD3R_qiJ45ANruphA

Randolph was one of the last thriving and intact Black neighborhoods in Richmond to be disrupted by urban renewal. Join LaToya Gray-Sparks as she discusses the Reconstructing Randolph Project, which explores the rich history and people who made up the Randolph neighborhood, how preservation and planning efforts have impacted it, as well as policies as strategies that can be implemented to preserve the neighborhood and protect the long term Black residents who wish to remain.

LaToya Gray-Sparks is a cartographer, historian, urban planner, and preservationist focused on reclaiming Black spaces through maps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, whw53 said:

Historic Richmond is giving a virtual lecture Sept 22nd - Maps Matter: Exploring the Past and Future of the Randolph Neighborhood

Register here - https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/5916624881851/WN_Zjo_hiD3R_qiJ45ANruphA

Randolph was one of the last thriving and intact Black neighborhoods in Richmond to be disrupted by urban renewal. Join LaToya Gray-Sparks as she discusses the Reconstructing Randolph Project, which explores the rich history and people who made up the Randolph neighborhood, how preservation and planning efforts have impacted it, as well as policies as strategies that can be implemented to preserve the neighborhood and protect the long term Black residents who wish to remain.

LaToya Gray-Sparks is a cartographer, historian, urban planner, and preservationist focused on reclaiming Black spaces through maps.

This should be a really good talk!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, ancientcarpenter said:

You guys rock! Urban Planet strong!

PLEASE! If you're reading this, take 2min and send out a quick email for this development! Big impact on the Byrd Park community that is majority/strongly wanted by the community!

Mike has a great update on this project in today's RBS! Looks like the city planning staff is backing this project -- and those who have written the city so far in support of the SUP for this sandwich shop have outnumbered the NIMBYs 36-32 (as of the time the RBS article was published). I'm wondering if that includes those of us who emailed the city in support? (I'm thinking it does!) The Byrd Park Civic League has also come out in support of the restauranteurs! :tw_smiley:

According to Mike's reporting, the Planning Commission on November 7th (after 90 minutes of public comment followed by deliberation) tabled the matter to their December 5th meeting.

Let's keep up the push to help get these guys over the finish line so they can make the renovations needed and open for business! If anyone who hasn't yet spoken up in support of this project would like to do so, please send an email to the following:

Quoting those old commercials from a couple of generations ago: you'll be glad you did! :tw_thumbsup:

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/16/new-york-deli-owners-working-on-new-restaurant-in-byrd-park/

byrd1.jpg

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Mike has a great update on this project in today's RBS! Looks like the city planning staff is backing this project -- and those who have written the city so far in support of the SUP for this sandwich shop have outnumbered the NIMBYs 36-32 (as of the time the RBS article was published). I'm wondering if that includes those of us who emailed the city in support? (I'm thinking it does!) The Byrd Park Civic League has also come out in support of the restauranteurs! :tw_smiley:

According to Mike's reporting, the Planning Commission on November 7th (after 90 minutes of public comment followed by deliberation) tabled the matter to their December 5th meeting.

Let's keep up the push to help get these guys over the finish line so they can make the renovations needed and open for business! If anyone who hasn't yet spoken up in support of this project would like to do so, please send an email to the following:

Quoting those old commercials from a couple of generations ago: you'll be glad you did! :tw_thumbsup:

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2022/11/16/new-york-deli-owners-working-on-new-restaurant-in-byrd-park/

byrd1.jpg

Thanks for posting this. 

PLEASE! If you have literally 3seconds, send a quick email to those 3 just saying "I support the sandwich shop in Byrd Park!"

A building that has been essentially abandoned for over 20 years deserves some life... especially when most of the neighborhood wants it.

Take a look at those opposition emails, they are all copy/paste and even acknowledge that they not only don't live in Byrd Park but they don't even live in Richmond CITY. This is bonkers to me! "....Richmond metro area..."

And to quote a local jingle, this sandwich shop will BRING OUT THE BEST IN YOU!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/117800-parks-and-rec/?do=findComment&comment=1854700

Reposting @ancientcarpenter's post from Parks and Rec to this thread, per his request.

MAZAL TOV!!! MAZAL TOV!!! To the deli owners, to all who are supporting this project - and to US - for FIGHTING against NIMBISM in RVA and getting something WORTHWHILE built DESPITE the shrieks and whining of the overly squeaky wheels. WELL DONE, GENTLEMEN!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:

This is a BIG win for the deli and for the neighborhood!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/117800-parks-and-rec/?do=findComment&comment=1854700

Reposting @ancientcarpenter's post from Parks and Rec to this thread, per his request.

MAZAL TOV!!! MAZAL TOV!!! To the deli owners, to all who are supporting this project - and to US - for FIGHTING against NIMBISM in RVA and getting something WORTHWHILE built DESPITE the shrieks and whining of the overly squeaky wheels. WELL DONE, GENTLEMEN!! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:

This is a BIG win for the deli and for the neighborhood!

I was happy to see this today, but I am still surprised there was so much opposition. On one hand, I would expect it in certain places but not in this spot. If you live in a dense urban city neighborhood, you should expect this type of business and understand that a lot of the people who have chosen to live in the area have done so because of the convenience of having a mixed use neighborhood. If you don't like that aspect, then move to the burbs! 

• Like 1

I can’t imagine anyone opposing this.  I lived in Byrd Park for 4 very long years.  The lack of services was numbing.  I would have loved a cafe just a few blocks over (I lived on Lakeview).  The folks that I still know in the neighborhood are very excited about this development.  I just assumed everyone would prefer to have snacking/dining options a short stroll from their house versus an abandoned, very commercial, space.  Who doesn’t want  that? What kind of monster doesn’t want that?!?! 

Edited by Brent114
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

I can’t imagine anyone opposing this.  I lived in Byrd Park for 4 very long years.  The lack of services was numbing.  I would have loved a cafe just a few blocks over (I lived on Lakeview).  The folks that I still know in the neighborhood are very excited about this development.  I just assumed everyone would prefer to have snacking/dining options a short stroll from their house versus an abandoned, very commercial, space.  Who doesn’t want  that? What kind of monster doesn’t want that?!?! 

The audacity of breathing life into this sad looking corner, do they dislike sandwiches, I think they don’t like sandwiches. Think about that, a sandwich next door, just walk outside and get one, eat it there, walk it home and eat it, eat it on on the way home, so many options, man, I want a sandwich right now, wish there was one next door.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

You lived on Lakeview? Sweet!! My first wife was living in the 2400 block of Lakeview WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the '80s when we first met.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

NO... WAY!!!

Wait - that's a little cottage house that's a converted former garage, no? Directly behind 2406?  If it's the same place I'm thinking it is. that's EXACTLY where my first wife lived in the late '80s when we were dating. OMG!!

Small world!