Spectrum - Monroe North Campus

Good question. I looked on the 601 Bond website and it doesn't say "includes parking", so I assume it's extra (I know a lot of the apartment buildings on the west side charge $125 / month. 

As far as parking below any of the developments Corewell was hinting at in their request to knock down buildings. They said any new building would have it's own parking built in. They kept using a magic number of ~990 spaces (so they would "never" have more than 990, but would need to replace parking with other lots when building residential, the residents hall, etc). . I think they have ~640 in the two ramps they built. I'm surprised they didn't just add the ~350 spaces across the two ramps they were already building. They said the cost of ramp parking has gone from $10,000 per space to $30-40,000 per space, but I'd have to imagine they would have incurred some savings (and less hassle) if they had incorporated it into the initial plan.

Especially when they paid a hefty premium to buy some of the properties that they now want to demo (Eastern Kille alone was $3.75M, 10X what it bought it for in 2014). To me, it's not about being anti-parking (as someone stated earlier). When you look at all the properties Corewell accumulated (that they now call "abandoned, obsolete, etc) along with the rest of the parking and development, it kind of feels like they fumbled the ball a bit when they were planning this out. So I'm glad the Planning Commission didn't rubber stamp the approval, and I do think Corewell will come back to the table with something more compelling. But I do feel like they could have just spread the 990 spots across the two ramps and saved themselves a boatload of headaches, and set the neighborhood up to be a much denser, walkable area. 

Joe

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I'm surprised they didn't just add the ~350 spaces across the two ramps they were already building. They said the cost of ramp parking has gone from $10,000 per space to $30-40,000 per space, but I'd have to imagine they would have incurred some savings (and less hassle) if they had incorporated it into the initial plan.

Agree with this. They're probably not wrong about the per space construction costs, but that's an average. Building the ramp in the first place costs a ton, but each additional space costs less than the one before it.  And surface parking isn't exactly free, especially when you have to purchase and demo buildings to get it. Why not build 1-2 ramps with 990+ parking spaces and leave the rest of the neighborhood for development?

27 minutes ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Agree with this. They're probably not wrong about the per space construction costs, but that's an average. Building the ramp in the first place costs a ton, but each additional space costs less than the one before it.  And surface parking isn't exactly free, especially when you have to purchase and demo buildings to get it. Why not build 1-2 ramps with 990+ parking spaces and leave the rest of the neighborhood for development?

A little back of napkin math would say if they hadn't bought the Eastern Kille building for $3.75M and left it as is (which was a nice business with a good draw that added vibrancy to the neighborhood), at $30,000 per space, they could have built an additional 125 spaces. If they added that to one of the ramps, maybe there'd be some cost savings and they could have bumped it to 150-160 spaces. That would have given them close to 800 spaces for the same price of the one "blighted" property they now want to tear down (a company that is now building a location in Rockford, so is no longer adding to the tax roll of the city). :(

Joe

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, GRLaker said:

Seems odd that an organization that’s hemorrhaging money after acquiring Beaumont can somehow keep buying up downtown land. 

Where do you see they are hemorrhaging money?  All of the stuff I've read shows them cash flowing fine, buoyed by the Spectrum side of the business.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This photo say it all about N. Monroe in 2024 (sort of like 1974). Everything in the foreground and midground is to be eliminated for parking lots. This article felt like such a puff piece.

I wouldn't call this a puff piece. I can absolutely agree that I don't believe what Corewell says they'll do, they'll do it. But getting a real estate expert and summarizing what is happening in one article is very helpful as this project moves forward for folks that want to push back against Corewell's plan to tear down buildings for parking.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Biggest eye roll ask of the year, Corewell wants to rename part of Fairbanks ave to “Corewell Drive”  it’s like, we get it Corewell;  you’ve bought everything in the area.  You have a bajillion signs everywhere. Now you need a street named after you just to make sure everyone knows what’s up?

If they proposed renaming it something dumb like “medical center innovation boulevard” I don’t even think I’d care. But Corewell Drive totally seems stupid, excessive, and like some sort of weird world domination move. Maybe “We Own You Avenue” is already taken? Haha

https://www-mlive-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2024/04/corewell-health-wants-to-rename-grand-rapids-street-after-itself.html?outputType=amp&amp_js_v=0.1&amp_gsa=1#webview=1&cap=swipe

I'm not surprised. It'll look like they have their own campus and it'll look great on their letterhead. Personally, pass. I'd rather not see this change, it's too corporate.

BUT, if they want it so bad, maybe they don't tear down buildings and pave over them or empty lots, for parking lots and rather build garages with stuff (residential, offices) above them. Then, maybe, I'll consider giving you a street name. But you gotta do a lot to get a street name in my book.

• Like 3

I dunno, I get the push back but it’s actually pretty common.  Companies do this everywhere, it’s not somehow unique to Corewell.  We can’t help that they picked the dumbest name possible for their new entity with Beaumont. They are talking about 2 blocks that terminate into their campus, I actually don’t think it’ll be that big of a deal.  It’s not like they are trying to get Monroe renamed.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, walker said:

If they would have planned ahead, rather than Corewell, they could have rebranded Spectrum as Fairbanks Health (a much nicer sounding meaningless name) then there would be no problem with the street.

Alaska has entered the chat....lol. Having lived in that orbit, there were only 2 words available that contained english dictionary words....the rest of the options were made up pharmacy/drug type names because literlly everything decent sounding and relevant is already trademarked.

I will also remind you that the Spectrum Health West Michigan Board of Directors (Bliss, the nice guy from 5/3, the Cascade engineering lady, Doug/Dick/whichever Devos, etc....aka all the local power players and decision makers) yanked Tina's chain and prevented her from doing this on the East Beltline (still in the city borders mind you).   Boards of Directors usually rubber stamp a CEOs plan, but not this time. I hate to be that guy coming to her/their defense, but she's playing the hand she was dealt.  Sure, she could play it better...but still, there are real things to consider.  Dumb decision? Yes. Locally and collectively made decision against the recommendation of the CEO, also yes.

Edited by grandrollerz
  • Like 2