Southern Metro Areas

cosmoboy

Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which Southern Metro Area Would You Prefer To Live In?

• 1. Atlanta
    • 2. Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill
    • 3. Winston-Salem-Greensboro-High Point
    • 4. Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill
    • 5. Miami-Fort Lauderdale
    • 6. West Palm Beach-Boca Raton
    • 7. Jacksonville
    • 8. Orlando
    • 9. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater
    • 10. Savannah
    • 11. Charleston
    • 12. Greenville-Spartanburg
    • 13. Birmingham
    • 14. Nashville
    • 15. Memphis
    • 16. Knoxville
    • 17. New Orleans
    • 18. Chattanooga
    • 19. Richmond
    • 20. Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Portsmouth

Definitely Greenville! I can't go into detail right now, but it has one of the most positive outlooks and an extremely vibrant urban core to rival cities around the World. International businesses are continually choosing to call Greenville their North American or U.S. home and just recently, the US Pro Cycling Championship was moved here because of the thriving quality of life and activity available for everyone.

Located at the foot of the breathtakingly beautiful blue ridge mountains, centered between Atlanta and Charlotte along I-85, and only a few hours drive from the Atlantic Ocean, Greenville has everything anyone could ever want plus a whole lot more. I guarantee your visit will be well worth your time invested and you'll never become bored.

Take a break and enjoy the countless rivers and waterfalls on trails in the mountains nearby, or stay in the city and relax while listening to any number of different types of music as you eat out on the sidewalk under a pleasant green canopy of shade. Or stroll through the numerous art galleries and quaint shops lining Main Street on your way to a play at one of the many downtown theatres.

Take in a World-class performance at the Peace Center for the Performing Arts, and enjoy the rushing whitewater of the 60-foot Reedy Falls from your perch on the internationally acclaimed Liberty Bridge in Falls Park on the Reedy, in the historic West End.

If you do nothing else, I plead with you to simply give Greenville a serious glance. You'll not be disappointed! ;)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Brought to you courtesy of the Greenville Convention and Visitor's Bureau UP spokesman, Skyliner. :P

One of the countless many! I am, like most individuals here, a very impressed and in love citizen of the City of Greenville. I am a proudly proactive promoter of Greenville and the Upstate because of what it has become and is striving to achieve every year. What I say in support of it comes from my heart and many years worth of experiences. People find it hard to disagree with me when they visit and fall in love themselves. ;)

I picked Raleigh - not only because I have family that has lived there for years, but because I love it there. I went and stayed with them for about 3 weeks about 10 years ago, and I am sure that this city has prospered much more since then. That was also about the last time I was in Charlotte.

The last time I was there (Raleigh) was in 1999 or so.

My next choices would be Knoxville, Columbia, Charlotte, or Winston-Salem.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Louisville, Kentucky, Kentucky being a Southern state and the city of Louisville being located in Kentucky wouldn't it officially (not to mention culturally) be the South :thumbsup:

Slugger, give it up. Louisville is not nearly as southern as any of these cities mentioned. Its too "hazy" here to be dirty south like you want it to be. Maybe in the rap culture its the "dirty south" with Nappy Roots and KD, but thats about it. So, let them have their poll of southern cities without entering your crusade again to prove Louisville is southern.

Slugger, give it up. Louisville is not nearly as southern as any of these cities mentioned. Its too "hazy" here to be dirty south like you want it to be. Maybe in the rap culture its the "dirty south" with Nappy Roots and KD, but thats about it. So, let them have their poll of southern cities without entering your crusade again to prove Louisville is southern.

No its not a big deal. I wish Louisville was more a part of the "southern boom" actually. The fact is, it has way more in common with Saint Louis than with Charlotte (excluding size). Louisville is best defined as industrial, Ohio Valley, and NOT southern. Sure, some Louisvillians have southern accents; so do some in Saint Louis, Missoura or Cincinnat-uh, Ohiyuh. Most of these people are transplants from out in the state or in Cincy's case, from the eatern parts of KY and WV.

So its not a big deal. Classify it as southern bc it is in KY if you want. But know that its is not really the south. For someone from Minneapolis, it may be all the "south" they can take. But I always tell people, if you want a true southern city, try Nashville or Birmingham.

[/quote

And this is one of your little Midwestern crusade that started this back up, and Gych if you would like me to post where, you have been crusading your points all over the internet, tahn I would be more than happy to. :thumbsup:

As I stated earlier St. Louis or Cincinnati are not the definiton of Midwestern cities as they are too often considered to have a strong Southern inflence (Cincinnai more than St. Louis; St. Louis got there Southern vibe from the black Migration to the North). Cincinnati as called by residence of upper Ohio Cincinatucky is obviously more mix of Southern and Midwestern.

Louisville is more of a boom town to all, But maybe 5 Midwestern cities when it comes to population growth. Also Louisville is growing faster than New Orleans (post Katrina) and just about every major Louisiana, Alabama, and mississippi cities. There are also onlt 2 manufacturing centers on the Ohio (louisville and Cincinnati) so I don't think it was that symbolic for Northern manufacturing.

The fact is that Louisville has much more Culturally, Historically, and Architecturally in common with Memphis than St. Louis. Afterall most people view Louisville as a Southern city.

Also do you have stats stating that the Southern folks in Louisville aren't from Louisville or are you going around looking at the license plates of every person with a Southern accent, if so I'd love to see the complete report of your study. If you look at the map of the way people pronounce Coke (Louisville's red with the rest of the SOUTH,whereas the midwest is BLUE), it would seem a little strange if the conductors of the study only asked the transplants from he rural areas

Louisville was (back in the 19th century) actually defined as the manufacturing Captial of the South and the Gateway city to the South. Due to Louisville's location on the Ohio, which helped it to attract to Industry to the area just like other Southern River cities suchas Memphis and New Orleans and even non river cities like Birmingham. Louisville's title as the manufacturing Capital of the South also came into play when the L&N (Louisville and Nashville) (there was no L&C; Louisville and Chicago) was constructed that connected Louisville to Nashville and further South to Atlanta.

Louisville also had one of the largest slave owning populations (there were no slaves in the North except for the southern edge of Missouri) in the country (even though it was just across the river from a free state) which was just a reflection of it's state which had the 3rd largest slave population after (Virginia and Georgia). During the Civil War Louisville was constently under question by the North for aiding the Confederacy, and was by no means trusted by the North. To this day a Confederate monument stands in the City of Louisville.

Also unlike Midwestern cities Louisville does not have a sigifigant population of Eastern and Southern Europeans (from places like Poland and Hungary) that came during a European Migration period (WWII). Even small Midwestern cities like South Bend and Toledo received a substantial number of immigrants from those areas of the world.

Archtiecturally Louisville's first suburb Old Louisville with it's wrought iron, huge fountains, huge Magnolias looming over the streets and Victorian style architecture that are found only in the most prominent Southern cities of the 19th century like Charleston, New Orleans, Savanah, and even Richmond, NOWHERE in the Midwest. Also Louisville like New Orleans urban areas (at least in the West or older parts of town) are lined with Shotgun houses destintively Southern, found mostly in cities like New Orleans.

Culturally Louisville is much much more of a Southern city than Midwestern, Like i've said earlier if you compare louisville's Culture, History, and Architecture to that of New Orleans and Birmingham (2 Deep Southern cities) and then compare it to that of Minnianapolis and Milwaulkee (2 upper Midwestern cities) Louisville undoubtibly has 3x more in common with the Southern cities.

KNOW LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY IS WILL AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE SOUTH!!!!

If you really want me to rip you again than please persist.

total-county.gif

Louisville and surrounding counties are red along with the rest of the South, is it not?

baptist.gif

Also seems to be red/Baptist with the rest of the South. The Red/Orange even extend across the bridge into Southern parts of Indiana and Illinois, which are often thought of to be more Southern than Midwestern.

dialectsUS.gif

The Southern language dialect doesn't only completely cover Kentucky, But even extends across the river into Southern Indiana and Illinois.

But according to you Gych (ppassafi) Louisville can't be Southern like Nashville, Richmond, Knoxville or any other Mid-Southern city :lol: You are even claiming that louisville isn't as Southern as Miami or Orlando :rofl:

Talk about interesting, random, and informative maps, I'm going to have to agree with slugger on this one, Louisville must remain part of the south as it has been forever. It's in KY for crying out loud. KY is every bit as southern as TN, just slightly different.

With deep thought on the last graphic, the upper south/lower north can be debated but seems to be fairly accurate. The Delmarva pennisula is hard to distingush, its almost like a culture of its own there. Its northern yet southern, southern yet northern.

Interestingly, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois fits into the category of many different areas

• 5 weeks later...

I've read a lot of really great things about Charlotte on here. But anyone I've ever met from Charlotte has said that there isn't much to do, and it's rather boring.

True that. Double true.

I took a day trip to Charlotte a month or so ago. Nothing to do, pretty much everywhere besides Starbucks was closed (on a Saturday afternoon) and Bobcats tickets under $100 were sold out. How often does that happen? Apparently only when Detroit is in town.

The Bank of America museum was interesting though.

That "Soda/Pop/Coke/Other" map is flawed. People in Essex County, MA, where I was born, should be "other" because most carbonated beverages in the region are referred to as "tonic".

I had the same thought the first time I saw this map. Tonic is very common in much of MA.

I hear soda or coke the most.

:lol: Virginia looks very confused on that map, it just doesn't know what to do. Looks almost like a quilt. I must say the map seems pretty accurate to me. Being from Michigan I can definately attest to that being "pop" country.

:lol: Virginia looks very confused on that map, it just doesn't know what to do. Looks almost like a quilt. I must say the map seems pretty accurate to me. Being from Michigan I can definately attest to that being "pop" country.

I concur. I was also taken back by how NC was also quite a "mixed bag". Out of all the states in the US. NC and VA seem to be the most "mixed up".

;)

A2

I concur. I was also taken back by how NC was also quite a "mixed bag". Out of all the states in the US. NC and VA seem to be the most "mixed up".

;)

A2

It's strange to see that VA is so mixed! I grew up in Portsmouth and went to college in Harrisonburg and never heard anything other than soda. Although some of the older people in H-burg called everything a "soft drink."

• 3 weeks later...

Archived