Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

Terrible article on AA Center being sold to RPS from local ABC.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/richmond-planning-to-sell-arthur-ashe-center-to-richmond-public-schools/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2nkhdnbR0e6AA9H-mGoUgC5ai93GPM-8oHgqte2iYKSjg-hgQNXd9Ties_aem_AQkKtBfwshFVCKc91PxiZq4ACM2NDNV91rbeIpWs3ldNLZ8NbyxE6DuZIwCU0DaSpBFLKh9wKogLlYCrqDq7-F_4

Why are they selling it to RPS? Doesn't make sense and article doesn't explain why. Isn't it being torn down? And the tone of the article implies it is going away but doesn't explicitly say that either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Terrible article on AA Center being sold to RPS from local ABC.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/richmond/richmond-planning-to-sell-arthur-ashe-center-to-richmond-public-schools/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2nkhdnbR0e6AA9H-mGoUgC5ai93GPM-8oHgqte2iYKSjg-hgQNXd9Ties_aem_AQkKtBfwshFVCKc91PxiZq4ACM2NDNV91rbeIpWs3ldNLZ8NbyxE6DuZIwCU0DaSpBFLKh9wKogLlYCrqDq7-F_4

Why are they selling it to RPS? Doesn't make sense and article doesn't explain why. Isn't it being torn down? And the tone of the article implies it is going away but doesn't explicitly say that either.

Yes - it's supposed to be torn down. Idk what the deal is up with this.

My understanding is that the arthur ashe center is being sold to a developer and the proceeds from the sale are going to RPS to build another facility. I will put the caveat in though that my understanding is pretty dated at this point.

This article might clear some things up but I cant get past the paywall currently. https://richmond.com/news/local/business/real-estate/diamond-district-stadium-richmond-public-schools/article_60025f7c-16b5-11ef-8428-db7ddd3e398f.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I find it interesting that Richmond For All or Richmond Crusade For Voters haven’t been mentioning a petition for referendum on their social media though. Not to deny that someone is getting them but you’d think if the strategy was to start collecting signatures they’d be broadcasting the message far and wide. 

In any case, I hope it doesn’t come to that and the judge allows the bonds to be floated like the city seems to be acting like they will. 

If it does though I’m going to be first in line for whatever groups are countering these groups. I swear by preventing density and things that make people want to actually MOVE into the city they work against the very thing they purport to support,  namely “the schools” as if increased property taxes and students from new families wouldn’t do far more to help. 

• Like 4

Side note: it does make me wonder, should the city have just said screw it and stuck with the CDA plan that allowed for 0 risk even though it’s a way higher interest rate and would cost us more in the long run.

I totally get why they and their financial advisors wanted to and are going the direct bond route given the interest rates, I even agree that it seems much more financially responsible to do so but all anyone seems to care about is the potential risk even when you explain all of the cost savings. That’s infuriating of course but still. 

Edited by BigBobbyG
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Child2021 said:

Judge Merchant has a history of handing the city *wins* when it comes to court cases, I guess that's the reason why they feel so confident in winning this one. 

That’s good to hear, man I hope that happens here. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BigBobbyG said:

YES!

Edit - I do see it says something about an appeal but hey I'll take what I can get for now, very glad to see this was dismissed.

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/development/richmond-squirrels-stadium-baseball-goldman-lawsuit/article_c0c4c2d8-24f1-11ef-b244-2bfb7b054eba.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Even if he appeals, would it not be technically "too late" in that the bonds will have already been issued before he either gets the required signatures - or - gets an appeal filed and a case scheduled, no? The injunction to freeze the city until the case was heard was tossed out as well, wasn't it? What happened with that? It wasn't mentioned in the article.

3 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/06/10/judge-dismisses-legal-challenge-to-diamond-district-financing/

Thankfully, the Diamond District lawsuit has been thrown out by a judge. Hopefully this means the project is still on track to break ground soon!

Better read this article today, folks, before it disappears behind the paywall.  image.png.01abe2082c0525e850d7dfa41268e3a4.png

• Like 1