Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

3 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

We're actually turning dirt in the second week of January. That said, what's the over/under for tower cranes?

I'm guessing April, maybe. Is March TOO aggressive? Is May (or April for that matter) TOO conservative an estimate?

I’m not exactly sure of everything that needs to be done before a tower crane goes up (except I do know that the foundation for the crane has to be poured), but I was thinking (depending on how fast they get moving) about the middle to end of February. That’s my guess anyway. 

12 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I’m not exactly sure of everything that needs to be done before a tower crane goes up (except I do know that the foundation for the crane has to be poured), but I was thinking (depending on how fast they get moving) about the middle to end of February. That’s my guess anyway. 

I'd love to see that - though six to seven weeks from the first shovelfuls of dirt seems REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLY aggressive. But I'm just a layman - so the timing of these things is all Greek to me. 

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Curious if they come across anything archeological when excavating.

It's farther upstream from where the turning basin was - so it's hard to say. Recall, when the James Center was under construction, a LOT of old bateau boats were unearthed and I think a few of them were sound enough to be preserved. I wouldn't be surprised of the excavation at CoStar unearths something of historical interest.

Someone may have mentioned it earlier but my friend who works there said they are going to be doing some rock blasting on the side near the river for the next couple of weeks. Apparently they were warned that there could be some low level booming sounds/shaking. I didn't realize those rocks would have needed to be blasted apart, pretty cool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigBobbyG said:

Someone may have mentioned it earlier but my friend who works there said they are going to be doing some rock blasting on the side near the river for the next couple of weeks. Apparently they were warned that there could be some low level booming sounds/shaking. I didn't realize those rocks would have needed to be blasted apart, pretty cool!

Wow! Probably a layer of granite underneath the upslope of the hill, maybe?

I remember when the Powhite Parkway was being constructed. I grew up on Forest Hill Avenue just over a block east of where the expressway is now. And the construction involved quite a bit of blasting through the granite layer along the path of the highway (there were granite quarries in the immediate vicinity - the house I grew up in was made from stones hewn from those quarries)... and I recall being freaked out by it (I was a little kid at the time) - because it shook the house to the point that there were some hairline cracks in some of the plaster of several rooms of our house.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Also, I’m looking for a good construction webcam for this project.  I could use everyone else’s help to find one (so far, no luck from my searches).  Please let us all know if you get any Intel on a webcam or webcams link. Thanks!

It might be early yet. Since there's not an existing building that's being demo'd as part of site prep for the new construction, they may not post construction cams just yet (though it wouldn't hurt them to put a couple of cams up on poles around the site even now so we can see the initial phase of excavation. I'm sure they've got cams planned for the near future. :tw_thumbsup:

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

It might be early yet. Since there's not an existing building that's being demo'd as part of site prep for the new construction, they may not post construction cams just yet (though it wouldn't hurt them to put a couple of cams up on poles around the site even now so we can see the initial phase of excavation. I'm sure they've got cams planned for the near future. :tw_thumbsup:

This looks like the location where the project would be listed and what’s missing for all of these is a webcam link.

https://www.whiting-turner.com/news/featured-projects-in-progress/

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Hike said:

This looks like the location where the project would be listed and what’s missing for all of these is a webcam link.

https://www.whiting-turner.com/news/featured-projects-in-progress/

Man, I hope there is a webcam…I’m going to die if I can’t monitor the progress of this one - that’s going to suck. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Man, I hope there is a webcam…I’m going to die if I can’t monitor the progress of this one - that’s going to suck. 

Maybe Costar will have one themselves or still hopeful Whiting Turner could have one somewhere in the future, our Easter egg hunt.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I can't fathom that there won't be at least one - and probably multiple webcams. @Hikeis right - there are options - CoStar OR Whiting Turner could post webcams. We just have to be camhounds... keep our noses to the ground and sniff 'em out! 🐶

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I can't fathom that there won't be at least one - and probably multiple webcams. @Hikeis right - there are options - CoStar OR Whiting Turner could post webcams. We just have to be camhounds... keep our noses to the ground and sniff 'em out! 🐶

If they have them, I would suspect they would mount the cameras on top of CoStar’s current adjacent 12-story building, which would prove to be the perfect perch to see the whole construction zone.  Seems logical to me anyway. My fingers are crossed that at least one will exist. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, eandslee said:

If they have them, I would suspect they would mount the cameras on top of CoStar’s current adjacent 12-story building, which would prove to be the perfect perch to see the whole construction zone.  Seems logical to me anyway. My fingers are crossed that at least one will exist. 

I could see multiple cams on their current building, for certain. Maybe they'd get permission to mount one on the south-facing wall of the parking deck north of the campus. There are a lot of options for some really cool views. And keep in mind - the WRIC8 weather cam (the one on the Virginia War Memorial) will give us some pretty amazing "distance" views of the tower rising. That's the one I'm jonesing for. :tw_smiley:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hike said:

Not exactly a project webcam but the channel 8 weather camera shows the site for a peek every now and then as @I miss RVAmentioned.

https://www.wric.com/weather/

What happened to the "live" real-time versions of these cams? These are static images - WRIC used to have a live/real-time camera up and running 24/7. Have they taken that down?

• Like 1