SW Orange County: Horizon West | Windermere | Dr. Phillips

spenser1058

10 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I wonder if it will work?

It will be interesting to see. It’s getting crazy out that way. They tried to avoid what happened in East Orange but I don’t think they’ve been terribly successful. 

In both cases, I think we see why areas with that much population need to have the governance of a city. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thousands upon thousands of apts and subdivisions. They can't expand Avalon Blvd fast enough. Also, the Reams/Summerlake roundabout still hasn't started yet. Hamlin High School is flying up quickly, same fast pace as LBV High School. Publix has 3 new plots about to build any minute now (ApkVineland by LBV High, other side of 429/Avalon Blvd, 27/Championsgate).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, jgardnerucf said:

Thousands upon thousands of apts and subdivisions. They can't expand Avalon Blvd fast enough. Also, the Reams/Summerlake roundabout still hasn't started yet. Hamlin High School is flying up quickly, same fast pace as LBV High School. Publix has 3 new plots about to build any minute now (ApkVineland by LBV High, other side of 429/Avalon Blvd, 27/Championsgate).

My dad went to the meeting for the Plaza that Publix was in and he had said they tried to dangle that carrot in front of the residents.  "But you're getting a Publix", and one resident's response was "how many more Publixs do we need in this area?  They're already across the street from each other."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, codypet said:

My dad went to the meeting for the Plaza that Publix was in and he had said they tried to dangle that carrot in front of the residents.  "But you're getting a Publix", and one resident's response was "how many more Publixs do we need in this area?  They're already across the street from each other."

It is astonishing what a monopoly Publix has here compared to places like North Carolina and Virginia. Otoh, we have a higher concentration of Targets (and especially Super Targets) compared to most of the country.

It’s amazing that Albertsons and Kroger are two of the biggest grocery companies in the country and they’re scared to death to fight little old Publix in Florida.

Especially since @HankStrong would kill for some of Kroger’s rainbow sparkle ice cream!

We can still dream of a Wegman’s one day but they tend to be so huge they pretty much have to build in the ‘burbs.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

And meanwhile SE Grocers is still chugging along.   More and More I'm hearing people say holy crap there's a really nice Winn Dixie there!  Which is funny because even I have gone from a Winn Dixie hater to rooting for it because we need a decent Publix competitor.  I mean this one was renovated next to one of my projects.  Its a solid attempt.

image.png.a1a8ab44cff95cf6fa962367c6f45f4e.png

I've been to Bi-lo in NC and the interior concept is pretty much the same.  Harvey's and Fresco y mas too, just with different color schemes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, codypet said:

And meanwhile SE Grocers is still chugging along.   More and More I'm hearing people say holy crap there's a really nice Winn Dixie there!  Which is funny because even I have gone from a Winn Dixie hater to rooting for it because we need a decent Publix competitor.  I mean this one was renovated next to one of my projects.  Its a solid attempt.

image.png.a1a8ab44cff95cf6fa962367c6f45f4e.png

I've been to Bi-lo in NC and the interior concept is pretty much the same.  Harvey's and Fresco y mas too, just with different color schemes.

Getting Better All The Time! Apparently the BiLo and Harvey’s names are on the way out so maybe W/D will get a bump from that.

I wonder how long they can keep Dixie in their name, though. Bring back Kwik Chek!

Edited by spenser1058

Actually, I’m going back to doing my shopping at Publix. Although they politically are still awful, I’m going to demonstrate that it’s possible to move beyond life with a car. 

Of course, the prices are generally higher but if I make good use of my BOGOs maybe I can minimize it. AND... yesterday I walked over to DGX for the first time. Some of the produce wasn’t awful so maybe I’ll do more of that.

The good news is that my Publix is a perfect size, has windows looking out at TREES and is just nicer than a windowless Target. Publix associates tend to be friendlier (several of them have been at Eola for almost 12 years) and of course specialty items have better availability.

I keep sending notes to Lakeland to tell them to fill out their darn HRC survey and to remind them their hometown gets more blue every day.

Meanwhile, it’s just another time I’ll never have to get in my car - what could be better?

And who knows - one day Buddy and Thomas Chatmon will retire and someone will actually TRY to get a lovely college format Target I can walk or take Lymmo to at UCF/CV!

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I could see Winn Lovett coming back.

I thought about that but I wondered how many folks might remember it. Then again, when they resurrected “Table Supply” it was ancient history, too.

Anyway, bringing back the Lovetts would be fun. After Daddy Lovett sold off the grocery stores and the Jax Shipyard ( and God knows what else he owned), his kids rather notoriously set out to spend the fortune.

You used to be able to see Lovett’s painted on back of the old store on OBT near Goff’s. I wonder if it’s still there.

Edited by spenser1058

Horizon West to add office and limited office/warehouse space?

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/08/25/what-may-rise-next-in-horizon-west.html

From OBJ

This could open the southern end of the Webster  (FL429) to broader use than just residential and tourism uses (plus Fowler Groves so @Tim3167 has a Target not too far away!)

Edited by spenser1058

On 8/19/2020 at 9:23 AM, spenser1058 said:

We’re waiting for your report about the small format Target down that way!

Decided to venture down there today, WOW this Target is great! It feels like it’s just the right size for a future downtown location yet I was still able to find everything I needed!

The store let’s in lots of light and even has windows in the back. 8DACBFB7-79B5-4A26-A168-0E4239EFC6DD.thumb.jpeg.d58e6ebad507c8efc1babaca943c4513.jpeg

AE14B91B-6606-4915-997A-AF31F6D0889A.thumb.jpeg.31c728a4f000d9f68b20512ee82b515b.jpeg

967B00B7-3149-48EC-BC93-E56B02B2BB73.thumb.jpeg.a775b904de4ff220f6cb044ba2dd3141.jpeg

Edited by Jerry95
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

Decided to venture down there today, WOW this Target is great! It feels like it’s just the right size for a future downtown location yet I was still able to find everything I needed!

The store let’s in lots of light and even has windows in the back. 8DACBFB7-79B5-4A26-A168-0E4239EFC6DD.thumb.jpeg.d58e6ebad507c8efc1babaca943c4513.jpeg

AE14B91B-6606-4915-997A-AF31F6D0889A.thumb.jpeg.31c728a4f000d9f68b20512ee82b515b.jpeg

967B00B7-3149-48EC-BC93-E56B02B2BB73.thumb.jpeg.a775b904de4ff220f6cb044ba2dd3141.jpeg

Ooooh!

My dad said the same thing.  He loves the new store.  He can't wait to get the connector road to Apopka Vineland.  He's still annoyed that they're getting two more Publix there.  Probably why Winn-Dixie is updating now.  "Seriously, what does this neighborhood need with 5 Publixs within 2 miles and 0 Home Depots."  He's getting more and more like an old man.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, codypet said:

My dad said the same thing.  He loves the new store.  He can't wait to get the connector road to Apopka Vineland.  He's still annoyed that they're getting two more Publix there.  Probably why Winn-Dixie is updating now.  "Seriously, what does this neighborhood need with 5 Publixs within 2 miles and 0 Home Depots."  He's getting more and more like an old man.

Which brings me to another point that you just brought up. A Lowes or Home Depot would be perfect next to this new Target.