Downtown, Midtown, now Uptown Greensboro?

AlmaPinnix

A few weeks back i heard about this new "uptown" Greensboro group on facebook. It is led by a community resident who is from that area of town. It seems to be a non-profit focused on getting word out and also selling merchandise like t-shirts and such.

Greensboro has a clearcut downtown district, also coined and signed the midtown district with help from local businesses and new development.

I think it is probably way too soon for Greensboro to try and have an uptown district. I'm not sure there is a distinct area of town that could fit that bill yet.

Here is a map of central Greensboro

Red outline is downtown
Blue outline is midtown
Green outline is where uptown is being proposed

What do you guys think?
Not only does it have part of NE downtown in its lines, it seems either too spread thin and/or not in line with the other 2 already distinct districts.
While I genuinely like the ambition, it seems like this area should be coined as it is, the A&T University area, just as the UNCG area is west of downtown.

MnKwoeP.png

Edited by AlmaPinnix

I love it. It provides branding opportunities that allow the area immediately surrounding A&T to separate itself from the highly stigmatized “East Greensboro” moniker. This area is much more established than the fledgling Midtown Greensboro area. They are creating new neighborhood monikers every week in Charlotte (see LOSO, MORA, and North End). I’d like to see this area continue to develop its own character while slowly removing the barrier between downtown and this area which can roughly defined by the Norfolk Southern tracks. A&T’s new engineering building along with the old post office redevelopment will go a long way towards helping that initiative. 

Edited by Seaboard Fellow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are correct Charlotte comes up with names all the time even South End which I used to call the edge of Dilworth or north end of South Blvd.  If you can get people to adopt it, it helps unify an area.  But make sure the people who live and work there think so too.   LoSo is a totally developer made up name Lower Southend but actually it is sticking and people seem to like it. 

• Like 1

Honestly, I think both Greensboro and Charlotte try way too hard to appear to be more culturally advanced and urban than they really area.

Uptown, seriously? Greensboro barely has a noticeable downtown and now they are pushing this. It reeks of "look at me, look at me. I'm the next New York or San Francisco."

Edited by RALNATIVE
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Honestly, I think both Greensboro and Charlotte try way too hard to appear to be more culturally advanced and urban than they really area.

Uptown, seriously? Greensboro barely has a noticeable downtown and now they are pushing this. It reeks of "look at me, look at me. I'm the next New York or San Francisco."

I think its less of that, and more of a community/area trying to make something of their "side of town." Anyone from this area know that Greensboro is pretty segregated, when it comes to which demographics live in which areas of town. South and East of the train tracks have seen far less development over the years. Most of the taxpayer investments and overall money and development has gone North and West in Greensboro. This is just this area trying to gain some notice and equality in the community as a whole. Why should they feel left out?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RALNATIVE said:

Also, the way I've come to know things over the years is, Atlanta is the main hub of urban areas in the southeast when it comes to culture. Charlotte is a smaller version of Atlanta, and Greensboro is a smaller version of Charlotte. If you've ever lived in these cities like I have (yes, all 3)  then you would know that Charlotte and Greensboro are just deeper culturally compared to cities like Winston-Salem and Raleigh. I'm not dissing winston and raleigh, its just how it is.

Also, the Greensboro city government is not "pushing" this, like I said its a non profit organization led by a gentleman who lives on that side of town. https://myfox8.com/2020/01/17/greensboro-man-hopes-to-rebrand-part-of-city-uptown-greensboro/

Edited by AlmaPinnix
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

You are correct Charlotte comes up with names all the time even South End which I used to call the edge of Dilworth or north end of South Blvd.  If you can get people to adopt it, it helps unify an area.  But make sure the people who live and work there think so too.   LoSo is a totally developer made up name Lower Southend but actually it is sticking and people seem to like it. 

Even within downtown Greensboro there are names for districts like Southside and now South End 

• Like 1