Hampton Roads Off-Topic Talk

Cotuit

I saw this article in this week's edition of IB. Sounds pretty interesting.

CREW holds its monthly luncheon meeting from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Holiday Inn Select, 1570 N. Military Hwy., Norfolk. The topic is "The Virginia Beach Economy and Development" with speakers Patricia Phillips, director of finance for the city of Virginia Beach, and Rosemary Wilson, member at large of the Virginia Beach City Council.

article

Edited by guynvb

• 2 weeks later...

Arrgh! :angry: There are 3 excellent articles in insidebiz but none are availiable online yet. One talks about Portsmouths downtown revitalization are how they'll accept nothing less than a 4 star 250 room hotel on the waterfront along with them seeking other condo developments. The next article goes in depth into the NN city center development, and the last focuses on mixed use development with an emphasis on towncenter. Interesting quote from the last article in reference to the success of towncenter "Developers are now hearing the call for similar, vertical (so named because various project components are often stacked one on another to conserve space) developmnents in suburbia" (perhaps a veiled reference to city walk and city view).

Sounds pretty neat being able to have high speed wireless service anywhere in the area. Russ, is this the same service Verizon is bringing to town? I wonder if Cox will jump on the wireless bandwagon as well.

Verizon's wireless broadband service has gained instant popularity. It's not as fast as cable, but the ability to be online virtually anywhere is AWESOME!

I doubt Cox will jump on as I don't know any way to make cable accessible everywhere. I use cable with a wireless router, which works wonderfully in my apartment and is VERY fast, but if wireless broadband comes down in cost I'll gladly make a switch.

Verizon's wireless broadband service has gained instant popularity. It's not as fast as cable, but the ability to be online virtually anywhere is AWESOME!

I doubt Cox will jump on as I don't know any way to make cable accessible everywhere. I use cable with a wireless router, which works wonderfully in my apartment and is VERY fast, but if wireless broadband comes down in cost I'll gladly make a switch.

I too use cable with a wireless routher which works great for using my laptop downstairs. But having a connection anywhere sounds awesome. Imagine surfing in any Barnes and Noble, Starbucks, etc without any extra fees.... :yahoo:

Wireless is great but its not good for gaming. Gaming is pretty much running the broadband world right now and bringing in the big bucks. Wireless is to slow for alot of online games but I'm thinking of getting a wirless router for when i get me a new laptop but I'm also looking into wiring my house with Cat 6 cabling too!

It's been busy today. Nice to have a steady diet of development news coming in again. :) This things tend to go in spurts.

Well lets hope that the development doesn't slow down for us...........Now if we could here something about a new office tower it would be great! Maybe some more white collar jobs too! :whistling:

The Pilot has an interesting article as Portsmouth is looking to provide free wi-fi access to the DT area, about 20 blocks. The article goes on to say that it would be used mostly by tourists and boaters (of course if they build the 6 towers then lots of its citizens would have access as well). Suffolk is trying to get service in a 10 block area DT and also the Harbour View area. Chesapeake already has wi-fi at Oakbrooke Center and plans to expand into the Greenbrier area. VA Beach has set up wi-fi at the new convention center and plans to deploy free hot spots in the library as a pilot program. (hopefully the Town Center and the Oceanfront are next.) Norfolk has wi-fi service already and is looking to hire a company to produce a master plan for wireless use throughout the city. Way to go Norfolk. These are exciting times for everyone.

The Pilot has an interesting article as Portsmouth is looking to provide free wi-fi access to the DT area, about 20 blocks. The article goes on to say that it would be used mostly by tourists and boaters (of course if they build the 6 towers then lots of its citizens would have access as well). Suffolk is trying to get service in a 10 block area DT and also the Harbour View area. Chesapeake already has wi-fi at Oakbrooke Center and plans to expand into the Greenbrier area. VA Beach has set up wi-fi at the new convention center and plans to deploy free hot spots in the library as a pilot program. (hopefully the Town Center and the Oceanfront are next.) Norfolk has wi-fi service already and is looking to hire a company to produce a master plan for wireless use throughout the city. Way to go Norfolk. These are exciting times for everyone.

Pembroke has free wifi too but what i want is that wireless broadband service that verizon is bringing out but its not available here. I hear that wifi is really going to die quick cause its slow speeds and expensive costs and dead spots