AAF Orlando

The first 3 quarters were a really good game.  It got out of control late, but the quality of football was about on par with a preseason NFL game.

It was good enough that we'll go out and catch a game this season.  I'd say if they can somehow go legit by actually becoming some sort a minor league of the NFL, this could lead to big things.

Things I liked:

1. Looking into the replay booth with transparency
  2. The extremely fast pace of the game
  3. No kickoffs, but still having a provision for a substitute on-side kick which actually takes skill instead of a lucky bounce
  4. Meaningful penalties

Things I liked not as much:

1. The open mics on coaches and players
  2. Still have ties
  3. Two challenges no matter if you win or lose

Things I don't know about:

1. The lack of 1 point conversion kicks completely
  2. No kickoffs, but still having a provision for a substitute on-side kick which actually takes skill instead of a lucky bounce

Yeah, that 2nd one I like and I don't know if I like it the same way.

That said, it's a good thing the XFL isn't trying to double up here in Orlando.  I think the reemergence of the Orlando Predators arena team is a day late and a dollar short with the AAF and XFL starting up so close to them.

Ideally, I would think if the XFL is successful and the AAF is successful, they will likely merge at some point.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The HBC and the Orlando Apollos pull out the win 37-29 after trailing for much of the game against San Antonio.

They’re now 2-0.

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-week-2-scores-highlights-apollos-surge-in-fourth-quarter-to-beat-commanders/

From CBS Sports 

This was a great game! Glad our boys took aim and pulled out the victory!

• Like 1

SpurDog and the Orlando Apollos make it 4-0 after beating Salt Lake 20-11.

There’s no doubt the HBC still has the touch. Unlike college ball, he can just concentrate on great plays instead of the recruiting, booster-babying and other stuff he loathed.

Heck, he probably has time for the golf course during the season. The King of Crescent Beach marches on!

Edited by spenser1058

Given the bad weather, it was a really fun game to watch.  Those games always get a bit sloppy, but it was still a good game to watch.

I see nothing bad about the AAF.  It's good, watchable football.  It's obviously lower quality than the NFL, but a realistic minor league or developmental league needs to happen.  I hope this might be it.

• Like 1

It’s not bad but it’s boring. The fact that it needed emergency funding last week is a little worrisome. Anyway, it’s good the NFL considers this a minor league of sorts but I’d be surprised if it lasts more than 2 seasons. Either way, I’m not really interested but I hope Orlando does well with attendance so it’ll give the NFL an idea of how we are as a football market when it’s time to relocate a franchise or expand.

The various attempts at alternative leagues have been mostly unsuccessful, but there are exceptions.

The USFL was doing OK as a spring league and then The Donald upset the apple cart by using his leverage to try and force the NFL to accept his New Jersey Generals into the older league. The USFL might well have succeeded had it stayed put. After all, Steve Spurrier introduced Bandit Ball as the coach of the USFL’s Tampa Bay team, which eventually led to the Fun n Gun. Other teams had similar successes.

The granddaddy of alternative leagues was the American Football League which is now the NFL’s AFC.

The 1960’s league gave the NFL such a run for its money that the older league sought a merger. The Super Bowl came about as a championship game between the two leagues.

So, it may be a hard row to hoe, but the AAF could stick if they don’t do anything stupid and stay the course.

• 3 weeks later...

The AAF May owe UCF as much as $1 million.

Meanwhile, are the Orlando Apollos the most recent undeclared National Champions at the Bounce House?

(Of course, our Knights were later noted officially by the NCAA along with Alabama for 2017-18).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/the-aafs-suspended-operations-may-cost-ucf-1-million/

From CBS Sports 

• 1 year later...

Could the XFL’ s Vipers move to Orlando? Would anyone care?

Maybe if the Head Ball Coach comes along as part of the deal...

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/09/05/could-the-tampa-bay-vipers-move-to-orlando-would-it-even-matter

From Orlando Weekly 

Personally, I’d rather watch our Knights. Then again, if Steve starts tossing his visor around...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Could the XFL’ s Vipers move to Orlando? Would anyone care?

Maybe if the Head Ball Coach comes along as part of the deal...

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2020/09/05/could-the-tampa-bay-vipers-move-to-orlando-would-it-even-matter

From Orlando Weekly 

Personally, I’d rather watch our Knights. Then again, if Steve starts tossing his visor around...

I think it'd be great.  Too bad the Apollos didn't work out... I had a great time at the game I went to. 

UCF stadium is a pain driving to, though.  I'm sure they'd get their best attendance numbers at the Citrus Bowl.

• Like 1