Comparing Orlando...

orlandouprise

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, I am Reality said:

Someone else made the same mental illness "joke" the other day.  

I honestly think that people in this forum are in their own bubble.  You shut out any disagreement.

I playfully joked with people, like I was joking about Dale's post about how unfun I am.  I thought that was funny and I responded back.  I have no bad blood towards Dale.  If I saw him on the street, I would buy him a beer.

You guys are just malicious, simple-minded and close-minded.

I am so disappointed.  Look outside your own little world .  There is a whole-wide world out there folks.

I would hate myself if I were that insulated. You have no idea what you don't know.

I am done. 

Again, there is no need for “I am done.”  All I’m saying, and I’m no spokesperson for anyone else here although I see their points about certain things.  It has to do with etiquette is all I’m telling you.  I by no means am perfect.  Neither is anyone else on these boards (except maybe Dale).  Yeah, there’s some townie-ism going on here.  People know there’s sh1t here; they just choose to focus on the positive.  Are you kidding, especially after the building bust.  It’s either that or dwell on negative stuff all the time.

Sllamming people for not focusing on jobs when they’re excited about a new building- I get it; jobs bring the buildings.  I don’t fault you for slamming Disney.  I’ve slammed the Orlando Tragic enough times to know not to throw stones.  IMHO, I’m just saying to throttle down a little before you burn the transaxle and start grinding metal (Hicks to Ripley).

Do you realize what a big deal Walgreens was when they announced they were coming downtown?  Same with the first 7-Elevens at The Plaza and 55W and then Central & Rosalind.  It’s not Macy’s, but it’s baby steps ever since those retailers shut down at CSS.  It’s an evolution, but those things have to happen before bigger things happen.  Hence why people are excited about apartment buildings in downtown and why taller skyscrapers aren’t being built or whether some of them that are getting built aren’t as tall as some would want.

You just need to assimilate and become part of the Collective; then, you will see everything clearly.  Resistance is futile.  Just joking.

I think the funniest part is that even a cursory glance at this forum shows we disagree with each other all the time.  Like CONSTANTLY disagree on a multitude of topics.

• Spenser and I are polar opposites on politics, (he loves politics especially on one side of the aisle and I despise politics on either side of the aisle) yet we have civil discussions all the time and he's one of my favorite posters.
  • I think Dale is a nut and I think he's 100% annoyed by me, but we openly discuss topics all the time in a mostly civil-esque fashion.
  • There is always the ironically named Sunshine...
  • Andypok has very strong opinions on both 7-11 and 55 West, he will go toe-to-toe with anyone.
  • We kinda dog bungalower all the time, but he's never once seemed to flinch and still provides plenty of nice content.
  • You could find countless examples of people disagreeing with each or having conflicting visions of Orlando

There are so many posters here who have completely differing opinions, ideas, and ways of expressing themselves.  If almost everyone is saying the same thing coming all these different perspectives about one poster... the Occam's razor approach says the simplest answer is probably the correct one.  It's not the overall and thoroughly diverse community that is causing the problem, it is the approach of that one poster.

And the blunt solution is:  if someone stops posting in a jerk fashion, it is most likely that people stop treating that person in a jerk fashion.

14 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

Calling me a jerk isn't very respectful, now is it?

Don't you have something better to do?

...like agreeing with everyone else on everything.

If takes true courage to agree with everything,

Yay Orlando!!  Yay!!

I'm getting Randy Ross vibes from you. 

The most cogent quote from I Am Reality to me was "...after some research...". The trick dear one, is to do one's research before making one's conclusion. Especially when the conclusion is expected to be inflammatory. For someone as enamored of facts as you purport to be you don't seem to use them very well. Insightful analysis is the rare thing. Any intern can get you facts.

25 minutes ago, Boomer136 said:

The most cogent quote from I Am Reality to me was "...after some research...". The trick dear one, is to do one's research before making one's conclusion. Especially when the conclusion is expected to be inflammatory. For someone as enamored of facts as you purport to be you don't seem to use them very well. Insightful analysis is the rare thing. Any intern can get you facts.

I am sooooo one-sided... I actually provided an itemized list of local Disney contributions. Not only that, but I included many contributions that even Hank didn't seem to know about.

Shame on me.

As for my methodology...I just provided line-by-line rebuttals of AmIReal's comments about Merck & Amazon.  I provided direct quotes from articles and provided statistics. 

You somehow missed my "analysis".

Let me be even more clear:

Merck does not want to do business in Orlando.

Amazon does not want to do business in Orlando.

That is pretty clear "analysis", no? 

On the other hand, I never hear anything resembling a fact or analysis from anyone else. Read yourselves in the Amazon HQ section. It's hilarious! It's just a pep-rally (with a handful of people saying other cities may get it).

One of the most astonishing things I ever read (anywhere) is that Orlando will be the home to the next 3 or 4 Wozniak garages.  That is looney-bin talk.  Even Silicon Valley won't be home to the 3 or 4 Wozniak garages.  Nor is Austin. Or Boston.  It makes no sense,  When I asked why he felt that way, he could not provide a single fact.  I wasn't looking for definitive proof. I just wanted a little insight why anyone would think that.  I got nothing. It's just wishful thinking. The same wishful thinking held in every small town and city in the world. 

Are we really that naive? 

I already talked about the UCF/Harvard comparison.  Looney-bin stuff.

Let's talk about facts and analysis.

1 hour ago, bqknight said:

I'm getting Randy Ross vibes from you. 

I'm not sure why, but I read this as Rick Ross and it was HILARIOUS. 

Just FYI, since I can see that poster's bizarre self-connection in the quote.  My comment had zero to do with them.  Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  Rien.  Nichts.  Ekkert.  Niente.  Nimic. Ingenting. Dim byd. Ei  mitään .  Ikke noget.  Nothing.  I'll just sit here and hum Carly Simon or something.

21 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Just FYI, since I can see that poster's bizarre self-connection in the quote.  My comment had zero to do with them.  Zero.  Nada.  Zilch.  Rien.  Nichts.  Ekkert.  Niente.  Nimic. Ingenting. Dim byd. Ei  mitään .  Ikke noget.  Nothing.  I'll just sit here and hum Carly Simon or something.

*Passes HankStrong a bottle of Heinz*

(btw, in that song was she talking about Warren B or James T? Enquiring minds want to know!)

From YouTube/vevo

23 hours ago, HankStrong said:

Hank, why you such a bad seed, huh?

Our nattering nabob of negativism thinks his/her complaint is new. It in fact goes back to 1971, when Paul Pickett, Chairman of the Orange County Commission , told National Geographic, "No hard feelings but I wish the Mouse had stayed in California." (Yes, the OC Commission has been trying to drag us back decades ever since.)

Some folks liked being the size of Lakeland and Ocala. Longtime Channel 6 anchor, Ben Aycrigg, however, realized that our tourism growth meant "his kids didn't have to move away after college to find jobs."

The thing is, Reality clearly indicates only high-paying jobs matter. That's great if your family has already arrived. But what about the tens of thousands who have the first chance for steady work, often with decent medical coverage and free admission to theme parks they might never afford otherwise? What about relatively decent public schools, one of the best community colleges in the country and a guaranteed chance at acceptance to UCF with Direct Connect if you stay the course?

That's the part he's missing. That's what makes me proud to be from Orlando.

I've heard that in FANCY towns the entry-level jobs are done by robots and Oompa-Loompas, everyone gets a high-paying job, there is a river of chocolate running right through the 20-mile long Hallmark-esque street of beautiful shops, (duh! run by millionaires with a sense of nostalgia from when they worked for a living like peasant scum!) and everything you need grows on trees.  I've heard the entire town will line the 20-miles long streets and burst into song and dance! 

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Our nattering nabob of negativism thinks his/her complaint is new. It in fact goes back to 1971, when Paul Pickett, Chairman of the Orange County Commission , told National Geographic, "No hard feelings but I wish the Mouse had stayed in California." (Yes, the OC Commission has been trying to drag us back decades ever since.)

Some folks liked being the size of Lakeland and Ocala. Longtime Channel 6 anchor, Ben Aycrigg, however, realized that our tourism growth meant "his kids didn't have to move away after college to find jobs."

The thing is, Reality clearly indicates only high-paying jobs matter. That's great if your family has already arrived. But what about the tens of thousands who have the first chance for steady work, often with decent medical coverage and free admission to theme parks they might never afford otherwise? What about relatively decent public schools, one of the best community colleges in the country and a guaranteed chance at acceptance to UCF with Direct Connect if you stay the course?

That's the part he's missing. That's what makes me proud to be from Orlando.

What makes you think your wouldnt do the same or better elsewhere?  

I would respond to Hank, but he's blocked me about 7 times now.  Although he keeps reading me.  (I would block myself for him, if I could.)

If I could respond to Hank, I would explain the difference between entry-level Jobs and dead-end minimum-wage jobs.  Everyone works entry-level jobs at one time or another.  Entry level jobs are plentiful in that particular area.  Many are with large Fortune 500 companies either headquartered there or with large offices there.  The jobs offer an upward mobility I don't see much of here.

Don't sell yourself out with a crappy job.  Go where the real opportunity is.  I post jobs news all the time.  You are start enough  to see where the real opportunities are.  

On the other hand, if you are counting free theme-park admission as "income", you and I are having two very different discussions. 

28 minutes ago, I am Reality said:

What makes you think your wouldnt do the same or better elsewhere?  

I would respond to Hank, but he's blocked me about 7 times now.  Although he keeps reading me.  (I would block myself for him, if I could.)

If I could respond to Hank, I would explain the difference between entry-level Jobs and dead-end minimum-wage jobs.  Everyone works entry-level jobs at one time or another.  Entry level jobs are plentiful in that particular area.  Many are with large Fortune 500 companies either headquartered there or with large offices there.  The jobs offer an upward mobility I don't see much of here.

Don't sell yourself out with a crappy job.  Go where the real opportunity is.  I post jobs news all the time.  You are start enough  to see where the real opportunities are.  

On the other hand, if you are counting free theme-park admission as "income", you and I are having two very different discussions. 

You realize a LARGE portion of Orlando's population is no where near skilled or educated enough for ANY of these jobs you keep posting. Mr. Joe Schmo with no college degree and a GED isn't going to work for some simulation company that wants to move to Orlando. 

I would love to know some stats that showcases if there is a NEED for more high paying jobs in Orlando. What's the unemployment rate for high wage jobs here? Of course you want to attract new talent - and I believe that is something Orlando continues to do. 

I have many friends who work for the theme parks and they do okay. If you have the drive, there are MANY opportunities within those parks as well for good paying, salaried jobs. What about all the servers and bartenders that get employed as well? They can make BANK. Way more than they can in other markets doing the same job. 

18 minutes ago, bqknight said:

You realize a LARGE portion of Orlando's population is no where near skilled or educated enough for ANY of these jobs you keep posting. Mr. Joe Schmo with no college degree and a GED isn't going to work for some simulation company that wants to move to Orlando. 

I would love to know some stats that showcases if there is a NEED for more high paying jobs in Orlando. What's the unemployment rate for high wage jobs here? Of course you want to attract new talent - and I believe that is something Orlando continues to do. 

I have many friends who work for the theme parks and they do okay. If you have the drive, there are MANY opportunities within those parks as well for good paying, salaried jobs. What about all the servers and bartenders that get employed as well? They can make BANK. Way more than they can in other markets doing the same job. 

I don't disagree with you.  You make some very good points,  

Based on what you and Spenser just posted and my general suspicions, there seems to  be a structural education problem in Orlando. 

Serious question - how would that happen? Was it poor planning?  Lack of funding?  Why would we be so different than other areas?  It seems to be a FL problem.  As much I dump on Orlando's economy, I am equally unimpressed with Tampa's or Miami's. (I was SHOCKED when I read Miami is #1 in the startup survey.  I'm still not sure I believe it).  So why is FL so different.

Newer Sunbelt cities seem to be doing much better educationally. I think some of the best public schools are in Dallas and Phoenix.  (I could be wrong; it's been awhile since I read that).  Newer suburbs in Virginia have great schools . Why is UT driving huge job creation in Austin?   

Does anyone know enough about education to answer? 

I think they are valid questions. 

AmIReal also pointed out something really interesting -  about city economic-incentives.  I get the impression maybe maybe Orlando doesn't offer very impressive incentives packages.  That was a common theme when we were talking  about Merck and those other tech jobs.  

I think it all starts with education. FL in general has never really invested in teachers and the education systems like other states have primarily i believe because of all the tourism related business. These big machines NEED cheap labor and have supported a viscous cycle. Massachusetts comes to mind as an example of the opposite.

Well lets look at the stats, shall we… https://www.nsf.gov/statistics/2018/nsb20181/ (one of my favorite sources). These are primarily math and science based numbers so is not indicative of the entire educational system.

Florida rates in the top quartile in math scores for 4th graders. By 8th grade they are in the last quartile. Oddly enough we are also in the last quartile in expenditures per pupil in elementary and secondary schools. Ok, I did my schoolin in the panhandle, but I think I see a possible link.

It gets much better in high school. Florida rates in the 2nd quartile in HS students scoring a 3 or better in AP calculus exams. And Florida is in the 3rd quartile for adults with high school or higher degree- believe it or not, that is good. No other southern or western state can say that except UT and CO.

If you want to look at the above site- no problem if you don’t- I suggest you “browse state indicators” and select map view for a good look at the issues (hint AR, MS, AL, GA and SC spend more per student then we do).

Actually, first Florida was an agricultural Southern state that did not value education.  Then it became a paradise for retirees who felt they'd paid their dues back home and refused to pay for good schools. Then , just as the Urban Moderates led us into the top half of states in education for the first time, we entered the last 20 years of Republican governors and legislators who believe only the wealthy deserve a good education, so we've slipped back below average.

Archived