CATS Long Term Transit Plan - Silver, Red Lines

monsoon

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Got it. How much of the tax increase is going to roads?

That's exact amount is still being discussed at the moment. It's a constantly moving target on the exact proportions of roadway, sidewalks,  greenway, and transit. The Silver Line, Silver Line rail trail are both included in the discussions, the Envision My Ride initiative implementation has been added to it.  

On 5/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, kayman said:

That's exact amount is still being discussed at the moment. It's a constantly moving target on the exact proportions of roadway, sidewalks,  greenway, and transit. The Silver Line, Silver Line rail trail are both included in the discussions, the Envision My Ride initiative implementation has been added to it.  

Is Red Line in the latest plan?

On 5/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, RANYC said:

Is Red Line in the latest plan?

[I have not looked at this plan]

The Red Line is always going to be in a weird purgatory. CATS will never say they don’t plan to build it, the line will always appear in long range plans out of political necessity, but CATS aint gonna budget billions for a gold plated commuter route either. At the frequencies that CATS has proposed the line is also unlikely to garner federal funding support. Regardless the plans or the funding situation NOTHING can move forward on the red line until NS has a change of heart.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

On 5/27/2022 at 8:33 AM, kayman said:

Would “roadway” projects mean a massive amount of “complete streets” re-design including protected bike lanes and traffic calming, or are we talking just widening and new roads?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, kermit said:

Why is the cost of parking cheaper than a Blue Line ticket?

image.png.078f30774e8cbd3213f676e7986f0db5.png

Well, you might want to reach out to your council members and ask that question to them...  If you want something to be answered and changed then question the elected representatives

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently CATS is now considering interlining the silver line with the blue line through uptown and creating a separate alignment for the airport portion likely terminating at gateway station. This seems like the worst of both worlds. It's also truly hard for me to believe the short portion skirting around Fourth Ward costs $1 billion.

https://www.wfae.org/charlotte-area/2022-06-13/cats-proposes-big-change-for-silver-line-route-through-uptown

c8d28200538059e042e001f2d980d602.png

Edited by TCLT
Added screenshot of the new alternatives.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

2) Stubbing the airport line at gateway is either a) and excuse not to build it at all or b) a plan to keep marginalizing Westsiders and their access to transit. Running along the Gold route is not awful if they create dedicated ROW and a means to turn the line (perhaps at on the Barnhardt property at Central ave) without massively reducing gold line frequencies.

And for all the complaints about airport transfers between the Blue 9th and Silver 11th street stations not being a signature experience, these interlining options make that LPA look like a world class proposal.

The Silver line ending at Carson does miss a chink of SouthEnd where there is likely a lot more demand for the most rapid rail service. Not sure there is much demand for rapid service in uptown (obviously in comparison between SouthEnd and uptown) 

So this proposal got my mind wandering a bit. What if:

• Vehicle size limitations on all of the Gold Line are fixed (making it a full LRT capacity line)
  • The airport line is run from Belmont / airport to the east end of the Gold Line (Eastland?)
  • The Matthews line is run to the west end of the Gold (French st or I-85)
  • The Gold Line vehicles continue to operate as well

This strategy would:

• Maintain through service on the Gold
  • Increase frequency on the Gold to a useful level for circulator service
  • Force proper operation of the Gold w dedicated ROW and signal priority(so Silver schedules could be maintained)
  • Have train turns happen only at locations that would not clog the network
  • Make airport transfers easier for most folks (the airport would be a two seat ride for blue line riders instead of 3)

The downsides:

• The reliance on the Goldline would limit capacity on the Silver. It would become very difficult to ramp up frequencies or run 3 car trains
  • Would introduce schedule volatility on the Silver
Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, TCLT said:

So apparently CATS is now considering interlining the silver line with the blue line through uptown and creating a separate alignment for the airport portion likely terminating at gateway station. This seems like the worst of both worlds. It's also truly hard for me to believe the short portion skirting around Fourth Ward costs $1 billion.

https://www.wfae.org/charlotte-area/2022-06-13/cats-proposes-big-change-for-silver-line-route-through-uptown

c8d28200538059e042e001f2d980d602.png

These new plans are all bad, interlining will cheapen the system and bring nothing new to uptown.  As much as the route around the city seems less useful than the original, it allows for more development and more stations for our system which means more ridership. These plans also ruin any gateway interaction which seems like a huge waste.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, kermit said:

So this proposal got my mind wandering a bit. What if:

• Vehicle size limitations on all of the Gold Line are fixed (making it a full LRT capacity line)
  • The airport line is run from Belmont / airport to the east end of the Gold Line (Eastland?)
  • The Matthews line is run to the west end of the Gold (French st or I-85)
  • The Gold Line vehicles continue to operate as well

This strategy would:

• Maintain through service on the Gold
  • Increase frequency on the Gold to a useful level for circulator service
  • Force proper operation of the Gold w dedicated ROW and signal priority(so Silver schedules could be maintained)
  • Have train turns happen only at locations that would not clog the network
  • Make airport transfers easier for most folks (the airport would be a two seat ride for blue line riders instead of 3)

The downsides:

• The reliance on the Goldline would limit capacity on the Silver. It would become very difficult to ramp up frequencies or run 3 car trains
  • Would introduce schedule volatility on the Silver

I realize you probably don't think this is realistic and just offered it up as a thought exercise, but the juxtaposition next to the new interlining proposals is hilarious to me. CATS is considering paring down the system by shaving off barely more than a mile of track and in the process eliminating connection Fourth Ward and to Gateway Station just to save a couple bucks and you're envisioning two even more expansive lines replacing the original proposal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kermit said:

Maybe. I didn't really think the new lines were more expansive (in terms of construction), just more intensively utilizing infrastructure we already have in order to create a more useful system.

There'd need to be significant reconstruction on the Gold Line at the very least, right?  Station modifications and track realignment to accommodate the LRT vehicles and allow it its own ROW? Having the LRT (potentially 3 car trains) changing lanes constantly through uptown doesn't seem feasible. The Silver Line flyover over the Independence/277 interchange to get into uptown at Trade Street would be a much more intense structure than simply jumping 277 near Davidson St. Also, it seems like there'd be a lot more real estate impacted from routing the Silver Line into and out of uptown to merge with the Gold Line. The LPA uses mostly unbuilt or publicly owned land along 277 and the freight tracks. And wouldn't you also need more train cars to run the lines separately at planned frequencies? I can't see how it wouldn't be much more expensive than the current LPA.

Is there even a good way to turn the trains around at Carson station? There is a crossover between Carson and Bland but making that transition seems like it would potentially kill the Blue Line schedule.

This feels like either a really poorly thought-out panicked response to that consultant or a completely insincere way to say they took concerns to heart and gave it another look but their original LPA really is the best way.