Just Wow

spenser1058

15 hours ago, orange87 said:

DeSantis approves $1.25 billion to increase teacher pay

Article: https://mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2024/06/10/desantis-to-approve-teacher-pay-increase

With a good portion of it going towards paying teachers who work in charter schools, too. 

What he and the legislature need to do is enact tougher school discipline laws, because if things keep on going the way they are, no amount of money will be worth doing that job. Too many students nowadays have zero respect for their teachers or school in general. They openly disrespect authority and even physically assault teachers. Sadly, much of that attitude is instilled by their so-called parents. I'm all for bringing back corporal punishment. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

With a good portion of it going towards paying teachers who work in charter schools, too. 

What he and the legislature need to do is enact tougher school discipline laws, because if things keep on going the way they are, no amount of money will be worth doing that job. Too many students nowadays have zero respect for their teachers or school in general. They openly disrespect authority and even physically assault teachers. Sadly, much of that attitude is instilled by their so-called parents. I'm all for bringing back corporal punishment. 

we had wooden paddles in HS and Jr high...

I think in the Dean's office, you would get paddled if you were bad...seems like the Wild Wild West now that I think about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

we had wooden paddles in HS and Jr high...

I think in the Dean's office, you would get paddled if you were bad...seems like the Wild Wild West now that I think about it.

We called it "the Board of Education".

paddle-2-e1476666607921.jpg

And it worked, too.

Of course, it helped matters a great deal that, back in the 70's, most parents were actually more mature than their kids and didn't foster the anti-authoritarian attitudes in their kids that so many do today.  

Nowadays, a lot of the parents need a good paddling as much or more than their kids do. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

We called it "the Board of Education".

paddle-2-e1476666607921.jpg

And it worked, too.

Of course, it helped matters a great deal that, back in the 70's, most parents were actually more mature than their kids and didn't foster the anti-authoritarian attitudes in their kids that so many do today.  

Nowadays, a lot of the parents need a good paddling as much or more than their kids do. 

in fact, when I was in HS, the hall pass was a wooden paddle with a key attached to it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I think it's so far gone, we're f*cked as a society.  the only thing that can correct it, sadly, is The Draft, and get a Drill Sargent to kiss all of their a55e5- but, realistically, that may cause a bigger revolution than just the meager nuggets on college campuses now.

On 6/14/2024 at 4:38 PM, JFW657 said:

Maybe if one of their family members gets gunned down in another mass shooting in which a bump stock is used, they might decide to revisit the issue.  

The law is the law. The courts just can't make stuff up. 

2 hours ago, jack said:

The law is the law. The courts just can't make stuff up. 

It's all interpretation.

A "machine gun" is a machine that rapidly fires bullets.

A bump stock is a mechanical device, that when attached to a semiautomatic rifle, causes it to rapidly fire bullets with a single pull of the trigger by causing the rifle's recoil to operate the trigger against the shooter's finger, thus turning the semiautomatic rifle into a machine that rapidly fires bullets.

IOW, a "machine gun". 

But the majority of so-called "justices" on this Trump-poisoned court are only interested in the furtherance of Trumpism.

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

It's all interpretation.

A "machine gun" is a machine that rapidly fires bullets.

A bump stock is a mechanical device, that when attached to a semiautomatic rifle, causes it to rapidly fire bullets with a single pull of the trigger by causing the rifle's recoil to operate the trigger against the shooter's finger, thus turning the semiautomatic rifle into a machine that rapidly fires bullets.

IOW, a "machine gun". 

But the majority of so-called "justices" on this Trump-poisoned court are only interested in the furtherance of Trumpism.

ENOUGH ALREADY.

it is not Trumpism to protect the 2nd Amendment.  It is nothing more than being an American citizen (unless you're all-in on full authoritarianism and eating crickets)

Keeping the border open, having illegal migrants occupy 5 star hotels in major cities, finding out the different demographic of exactly who is being let into our border, getting prosecuted for defending oneself...and then having the audacity to even discuss gun control of any nature, is downright laughable.

it falls on deaf ears and makes you look like a Leftist who is quick to capitulate to the powers trying to destroy this country.  Are you on their payroll?

If you are one of then, then, in the words of George Lucas:  May The F*** Be With You.  If you aren't one of them, then open up your eyes already and stop with the denialism.

2 hours ago, jrs2 said:

ENOUGH ALREADY.

it is not Trumpism to protect the 2nd Amendment.  It is nothing more than being an American citizen (unless you're all-in on full authoritarianism and eating crickets)

Keeping the border open, having illegal migrants occupy 5 star hotels in major cities, finding out the different demographic of exactly who is being let into our border, getting prosecuted for defending oneself...and then having the audacity to even discuss gun control of any nature, is downright laughable.

it falls on deaf ears and makes you look like a Leftist who is quick to capitulate to the powers trying to destroy this country.  Are you on their payroll?

If you are one of then, then, in the words of George Lucas:  May The F*** Be With You.  If you aren't one of them, then open up your eyes already and stop with the denialism.

I support strict zero tolerance border policies, and fully repealing the 2nd amendment.

giphy.gif

Edited by orange87

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

ENOUGH ALREADY.

it is not Trumpism to protect the 2nd Amendment. 

The right-wing partisan Trumper hacks on the SCOTUS are not "protecting" the 2nd Amendment.

They are stubbornly clinging to their literalist interpretation of words written over two centuries ago and ignoring the realities of the 21st century, while forcing average American citizens to be placed in even further danger of being slaughtered while out in public doing their daily routines. Meanwhile, they are protected by armed security. 

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

It is nothing more than being an American citizen (unless you're all-in on full authoritarianism and eating crickets)

Outside of flag waving and hollering 'MURICA!!! louder than the next guy, I doubt you fully understand what being an American citizen means. 

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

If you're going to lie and exaggerate, nobody will ever begin to take you seriously. No illegal immigrants were occupying 5 star hotels. Families with children were given vouchers paid for by by a non-profit organization during the height of the pandemic, as a public health measure. 

Speaking of downright laughable.

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Maybe disagreeing with gun fanatics makes me look like a Leftist etc, etc to you, but I don't care what I look like to you or any other rwnj loonie bin candidate.

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Only after you get a grip on reality. 

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

If you're going to lie and exaggerate, nobody will ever begin to take you seriously. No illegal immigrants were occupying 5 star hotels. Families with children were given vouchers paid for by by a non-profit organization during the height of the pandemic, as a public health measure. 

You're absolutely wrong.

The Roosevelt Hotel (A 5-star hotel): A look inside NYC's modern 'Ellis Island' for migrants

Article: https://www.fox5ny.com/news/nyc-migrant-crisis-roosevelt-hotel

NYC mayor puts $12 billion cost on migrant crisis, blames ‘broken’ national immigration system

Article: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/eric-adams-new-york-migrants-cost-00110472

NY Gov Hochul says migrant crisis will require a "substantial" amount of money

"The state (New York) has already spent $1.7 billion dollars, including $1 billion dollars to reimburse New York City for what it's spent on housing and feeding migrants. Hochul said in a memo asking President Biden for help that costs in the next year could reach $4.5 billion dollars."

Article: https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/48552/20230929/hochul-says-migrant-crisis-will-require-a-substantial-amount-of-money

NYC Starts Distributing Prepaid Debit Cards to Migrants, Despite Uproar

Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/25/nyregion/migrants-debit-cards-nyc.html

Edited by orange87
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

You're absolutely wrong.

The Roosevelt Hotel (A 5-star hotel): A look inside NYC's modern 'Ellis Island' for migrants

Article: https://www.fox5ny.com/news/nyc-migrant-crisis-roosevelt-hotel 

You should have read that article before you posted it and said I was wrong re: not putting migrants in 5 star hotels.

If you had read it thoroughly, you'd have seen that guest rooms in the Roosevelt Hotel are not being used to house these people. What they've done is set up a large room, probably a ground floor banquet hall etc, as an intake and arrival center, similar to Ellis Island back in the 1920's. Hence the comparison in the title. They give health screenings and information about city services etc.then send them on their way.

But contrary to what jrs2 said and you're supporting, immigrants are not being put up there in guest rooms. 

Most of them get directed to shelters. 

6 minutes ago, orange87 said:

NYC mayor puts $12 billion cost on migrant crisis, blames ‘broken’ national immigration system

Article: https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/09/eric-adams-new-york-migrants-cost-00110472

NY GovHochul says migrant crisis will require a "substantial" amount of money

"The state (New York) has already spent $1.7 billion dollars, including $1 billion dollars to reimburse New York City for what it's spent on housing and feeding migrants. Hochul said in a memo asking President Biden for help that costs in the next year could reach $4.5 billion dollars."

Article: https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/48552/20230929/hochul-says-migrant-crisis-will-require-a-substantial-amount-of-money

NYC Starts Distributing Prepaid Debit Cards to Migrants, Despite Uproar

Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/25/nyregion/migrants-debit-cards-nyc.html

Yes, I know it's expensive, but what is the price of humanity? If we're going to be taken seriously when we lecture countries like Russia and NK on human rights, we can hardly throw these people out on the streets. Or let them and their children wander around the desert in Mexico starving and dying.

Oh wait, I keep forgetting how money is more important than everything else here in the richest nation on Earth where nobody I know has ever had to sacrifice a meal or even an in between meal snack because their money was spent on feeding immigrants.

How silly of me. 

BTW, how was that bowl of Häagen-Dazs? Have another one. Go ahead. You can afford it. :thumbsup: 

I continue to be amused by all this fake rage over the immigrant crisis from these armchair politicians sitting at their keyboards. So brave!

Turn all that energy to your own people who have been living off welfare and subsidies since Covid — the really culprits here draining the system.

Oh wait, are you one of them? 

Apropos for nothing, the Roosevelt Hotel might as well be a brothel. I would know—from experience.

1 hour ago, Ivanhoe said:

I continue to be amused by all this fake rage over the immigrant crisis from these armchair politicians sitting at their keyboards. So brave! 

To whom exactly are you referring? 

Turn all that energy to your own people who have been living off welfare and subsidies since Covid — the really culprits here draining the system. 

Any suggestions? 

Oh wait, are you one of them? 

I'm retired and collecting Social Security.

Does that count?

Does that make me a sponge? 

Apropos for nothing, the Roosevelt Hotel might as well be a brothel. I would know—from experience.

Bragging or complaining?  :thumbsup:

Edited by JFW657
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, orange87 said:

I support strict zero tolerance border policies, and fully repealing the 2nd amendment.

giphy.gif

then you are for the quick or gradual takeover of our political system by foreign interests and taking any semblance of power that the people still have-away from the people.  if Ronald Reagan or W Bush was president, you would not be saying that.  it is merely a convenient position to have when you think most of the important issues you believe in are being pushed by the leaders you support.  

that's a good meme, BTW.