Political Digression Thread -- Save UP! Move the politically focused stuff here

No big surprises here but here the the oath that Senators took before the impeachment trial:

"Do you solemnly swear that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of Donald John Trump, president of the United States, now pending, you will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help you god?"

Here is what our esteemed Tommy Tills said according to the Big O today (which said Tommy will vote against allowing witnesses at the Senate trial post Bolton-book):

Tillis has also said he plans to vote to acquit President Donald Trump, something he made clear even before the Democrat-controlled House impeached Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article239681818.html

How does Tommy square his oath with his pre-trial decision on how he will vote?

How did we elect a senator who is unable to keep his oath to uphold the constitution?

At least Burr had the good sense to say:

North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr has said he is not answering questions on the impeachment trial

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"Lock Her Up!"

Today: DOJ finds insufficient evidence to charge hillary with a crime. 

Trump thinks we live in a oligarchy! Pathetic and sad. 

White House seeks to block publication of Bolton's book

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/480519-white-house-seeks-to-block-publication-of-boltons-book

Edited by mpretori
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Listening to Republicans lawyers, Ken Starr and Alan M. Dershowitz in particular, I can imagine them arguing that the 8th Commandment doesn't prohibit lying, per se, because it is written technically to say, "you shall not bear false witness against your neighbor" and since Trump's didn't lie about his neighbor, he's not technically broken the 8th Commandment.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, mpretori said:

Unfortunately, behavior like this is becoming the new "normal".

No it is NOT normal and will not be any time soon. It is a tiny percentage of people who almost were eliminated from the norms of society as a group until recently. But the current political climate has emboldened and encouraged them to speak up and make their disgusting viewpoint heard.

I head an analogy that I liked that I'll share here. Think of this group as an animal. What does an animal do as it's about to be completely killed off? It makes a final stand out of desperation that could be viewed as a resurgence.

It's not a resurgence; this is a final gasp of people like this. One last push before they're permanently resigned to the pages of history books where they belong.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Nick2 said:

No it is NOT normal and will not be any time soon. It is a tiny percentage of people who almost were eliminated from the norms of society as a group until recently. But the current political climate has emboldened and encouraged them to speak up and make their disgusting viewpoint heard.

I head an analogy that I liked that I'll share here. Think of this group as an animal. What does an animal do as it's about to be completely killed off? It makes a final stand out of desperation that could be viewed as a resurgence.

It's not a resurgence; this is a final gasp of people like this. One last push before they're permanently resigned to the pages of history books where they belong.

I hope you're right but I don't think so and I don't think it's a tiny percentage unfortunately.  I've heard Trump and Bernie supporters say they want to "burn it all down".   Bernie voters in Michigan (47K), Wisconsin (51K) and Pennsylvania (116K) in 2016 ended up voting for Trump.  IMHO, this guy's rant doesn't make all Trump or Bernie supporters racists and/or homophobic, and it doesn't mean that Democrats aren't racists and/or homophobic but "burning it all down" is a symptom of something really wrong with our society and is probably hiding a lot of unspoken phobias.  

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

Romney "Not Safe"

CPAC Chair: Mitt Romney’s ‘Physical Safety’ Would Be At Risk At Conference.  Matt Schlapp had previously said the senator wouldn’t be invited after he voted to call witnesses in Donald Trump’s impeachment trial.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Yikes.

16 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Trump just signed a executive order allowing this behavior and would cut federal funding for universities/colleges who discipline people like this guy. He did break a laptop and hurt a elderly person, but withstanding that, if the university expelled him, Trump would have cut their funding. 

• Sad 1

It is a new normal, while I've never encountered it that bad or pronounced, I have definitely come across extremely racist and homophobic outdated view points from others. It makes me sick to know that there are still people being brought up to hate others just for who they are. It's not even really a new normal, it's been this way for decades. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/17/2020 at 4:04 PM, urbanlover568 said:

Leading Christian Website Declares Pete Buttigieg ‘Is Deserving Of Death’ For Being Gay

https://theflamingherald.wordpress.com/2020/02/14/americas-decadence-and-the-awful-fate-of-perverted-men/

Follow Up to this...

Miami drive-by shooters hit two gay men and a lesbian

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/miami-drive-shooter-hits-two-gay-men-lesbian-n1136651

• Sad 1