Learning from Other Places

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

If that is the only problem you see with a gov't being able to force you to move, then there are bigger issues at play here.

Haha, good point. I wouldn't want to live in China AT ALL. The reason they build rail so efficiently is their government can do as they please much easier than our government. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

China's system is incredible. One major advantage for train construction (not so much locals) is land is ultimately owned by the state. While California was bogged down in thousands of negotiations and law suits over land acquisition for the rail right of way, China would be able to quickly dismiss complaints and start building. If your house is in the way, the government relocates you. In California, if you live even within a mile of the rail you could sue over environmental concerns and squirrels not being able to get from one side to the other.

Obviously the negative side of China's policy is for the people relocated that have to start over.

I agree with all this. However, I'm sure there was tremendous graft involved. Does that mean that rail is impossible in a democracy? I think updates to eminate domain law can make us both competitive and fair. Unlikely given our current corrupt Congress though.

• Like 1

I thought I'd post something over here about what I think makes Plazas work. Of course there are a lot of more technical articles and even books on this subject--even a documentary, which I believe was posted earlier in this thread--but fundamentally I believe there are two primary ingredients for a good plaza: innate beauty and functionality. The most beautiful plazas in the world can stand on their own as attractions. Think of the Plaza Mayor in Salamanca:

plaza_mayor_salamanca_t3700451.jpg_1306973099.jpg

or the Piazza Navona in Rome:

plaza-navona.jpeg

Of course these places are successful. People would be attracted to them purely because of their inherent beauty. There are, however, less inherently beautiful places that I also consider successful plazas. One is the relatively new Nguyễn Huệ walking street in Ho Chi Minh City:

51351_og_1.jpeg

another is the even more pedestrian (ha!) plaza in front of Central World in Bangkok (pictured here with a festival in progress and then without):

Image result for centralworld square bangkok

Image result for centralworld square bangkok

These are not particularly "beautiful" inherently. They have fountains and other amenities, but they're not destinations. Still, they provide functionality and they serve as places that people want to be and that can be used for fun events and festivals. The keys are that they're visually and physically separated from cars driving around; they're big enough to feel like a "place" in themselves, but small enough to feel distinct and enclosed. 

In Charlotte, for whatever reason, all of our "Plazas" seem to be rump space bumping up against a road. They're not insulated from traffic, they don't feel like places on their own, they don't have enough inherent beauty to attract people to them, and they don't offer enough space to have real events centered around them. This really feels like something that major developers are going to need to manage and coordinate between themselves; someone could fill a huge empty niche in our cityscape.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, asthasr said:

In Charlotte, for whatever reason, all of our "Plazas" seem to be rump space bumping up against a road. They're not insulated from traffic, they don't feel like places on their own, they don't have enough inherent beauty to attract people to them, and they don't offer enough space to have real events centered around them. This really feels like something that major developers are going to need to manage and coordinate between themselves; someone could fill a huge empty niche in our cityscape.

Agree completely. Plazas are something we (as a nation) desperately need, but when they get built in the US they feel more hostile than welcoming. Americas strange relationship with public space in the 70s and 80s certainly made the situation worse. Suburbanization allowed the middle class to gravitate to the psuedo public-space of malls so cities felt little political pressure to build or maintain any large public gathering places.

The Green comes the closest to having a legitimate Plaza feel for me in Charlotte. Unfortunately, it always feels a bit unwelcoming since the private business users on either side feel kinda like they would prefer not to have the green there (including the church side). IIRC it is actually privately owned space so when the revolution comes there will be security guards trying to shoo us off of it.

image.png.41d3819cb837bd75e610390f9232f32e.png

^ The problem of using private space as a substitute for public space

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found a good, short article on the subject: "9 Elements of Successful Small Parks and Plazas." There's a quote in there that I think sums up the issue: "Places thrive when users have a range of reasons to be there." That's something that I think Charlotte really struggles with in its open space. Recently I served on a jury.  There's a lovely plaza in front of the government building and, for the entire week that I was on the jury, I walked through it every day. The shame of it is that if there were other office buildings, lunch spots, and so on around that plaza, it'd likely do very well, but despite having a nice environment and even some food trucks for the office workers and the like, it was dead. You'd see five or six people in the entire space, half of them wearing the "Don't talk to me!" JUROR badges, and the other half harried-looking lawyers walking quickly from one office to another.

Just as Charlotte tore down Cityfair many years and Hearst Plaza replaced it Jacksonville Florida is tearing down their Jacksonville Landing riverfront festival marketplace.  It has suffered with high vacancies for years.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2019/02/20/city-jax-landing-reach-agreement-to-end-lawsuits.html?ana=e_jac_bn_breakingnews&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1RsbVpqYzROV1EzTVRKayIsInQiOiJMTkd5WEx0MVl5dk1KWXdwSGpacE9MM3RyQmVORUJWeHdzb0pZSk5CUERXZ0QrM2pZbWpNVWhKOWhNMnoxQ3hQdHFqbHpCTUt0a2VWUnNySzBvMGd5SWFNSmZlb3d1ZVY0TUxUT2htSVYyOUNoVGpVOVwvejRBSXhDYnh0QkNMYkYifQ%3D%3D

Downtown retail is tough anywhere.  

• Like 2

Thought I'd place this here for those of you who might find some free time in NYC and would enjoy a very pleasant Old Fashioned in Manhattan.  An iconic third place in Phillip Johnson's Seagram Buillding, The Grill showcases all that is good about a well designed cocktail in the late afternoon.  You won't regret it. 

IMG_1989.jpg

Edited by Bikeguy
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

One more thing about Houston and I am not advocating Charlotte drop all zoning but Houston because of the lack of it causes developers to build things they might not do otherwise innovate.

Couple more of Houston Metro and how it runs in the middle of Main St.  south of downtown. This stretch of the city between downtown and TX Medical Center is growing like Southend with new apartments and so forth. 

and last photo I saw along a greenway and major bike path.  Do we have bike air stations around Charlotte I don't know if we don't this is a great idea. 

IMG_0794.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0429.JPG

• Like 2

"and last photo I saw along a greenway and major bike path.  Do we have bike air stations around Charlotte I don't know if we don't this is a great idea. "  

Trips for Kids placed eight of these in Charlotte... Smelly Cat, Urban Ministries, Goodwill industries, and the other five on the LSC Greenway behind Park Road Shopping Center, McMullian Creek, McAlpine Creek, and Mallard Creek.  https://www.dero.com/product/fixit/

IMG_0429.thumb.JPG.74a3c07d5ba61852f40b29a372880e2d.jpg

Edited by Bikeguy
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

"and last photo I saw along a greenway and major bike path.  Do we have bike air stations around Charlotte I don't know if we don't this is a great idea. "  

Trips for Kids placed eight of these in Charlotte... Smelly Cat, Urban Ministries, Goodwill industries, and the other five on the LSC Greenway behind Park Road Shopping Center, McMullian Creek, McAlpine Creek, and Mallard Creek.  https://www.dero.com/product/fixit/

Great I did not know that or have ever noticed them.  

• Like 1

well my Texas vacation is wrapping up I have uploaded lots of photos to the San Antonio page check them out if you like

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/forum/214-san-antonio/

Lots to learn here for Charlotte #1 being historical preservation and adaptive reuse.  

I forget who on this board loves high rises to spread everywhere in town well there is a place and it called Houston where this is happening!  They have great parks, big highways and toll lanes and some of the best museums in the country.    Check out the photos of the historical buildings saved in downtown Houston.  Their older high rises are still there just overshadowed by their huge new taller buildings much like Charlotte.     Anyway as the need arises in a discussion about something in Charlotte some of these Texas photos may resurface.  If you have any questions about any of them just let me know.  The SA and Houston threads are not very active at all which is a shame.  

My recent photos start on page 4 

• Like 2

Houston where you can build just about anything everywhere especially downtown restores a 105 year old building and turns into a upscale AC by Marriott.   

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/03/15/ac-hotel-by-marriott-to-open-in-downtown-houston.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-03-15&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1552684592&j=87264061

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asthasr said:

I really dislike this project, frankly, and think it'll probably be crime-ridden. That said, it's interesting as an illustration of how much usable space these sorts of elevated expressways really eat up: The Bentway, Toronto. [emphasis added]

Have you ever been to Toronto? Crime is the last thing anyone needs to worry about with this project.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, asthasr said:

I haven't. However safe a city might overall might be, liminal spaces under highways... well, I just think they provide opportunity.

They do, I agree with that expectation in general. Its just that Toronto is.... different. Really different.

• Like 1

Spent just a few hours in Savannah (more next trip in May) but always something to learn.   Savannah and its strict historic preservation and architectural standards gets great results.  From Friday in the Hostess City of Savannah.  My favorite city in Georgia and one of the KJ top 5 in the USA.  

1. new hotel great look doesnt look cheap.  2.    The BB&T office in downtown across the street from the uglier 1970s Sun Trust building not pictured.  3. Johnson Square office tower tallest office building in town.  15 stories 1911 built.  4. Lucas Theater part of SCAD now 5. Main shopping street lots of restored storefronts Broughton St.  6. newer Bohemian hotel total of 9 stories with 3 more from this shot down to River St level rooftop bar.    7.  this is new the Savannah wanderwall I am calling it on the Hotel Indigo in a 1970s conversion of another hotel.   8.  this power plant is becoming a huge new Kessler owned Marriott hotel with new construction and the meeting space in the old power plant down by the river.   Great reuse and new hotel.  

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2142.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2156.JPG

IMG_2161.JPG

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

• Like 3