Learning from Other Places

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

I used to live in Parkland, just north of Miami off the Sawgrass expressway and 441. I speak to many Floridians that decided to move to Charlotte. 99.9% of them I speak to do not regret the decision they made, but what they do tell me is they know Charlotte’s going to sprawl out like Miami did, give it 10-25 years. 

Potentially even worse. At least Miami has geographic limitations to its sprawl. 

I think Charlotte is already sprawled out like Miami. Fort Mill and Concord can both reasonably called "suburbs" of Charlotte, and are 35 miles apart. Similarly, from Lowell to Monroe is about 37 miles. It's not uniformly distributed within that "box," of course, but we've certainly got our share of sprawl. What I think is more interesting is that Charlotte's inner core is really intensifying. Hopefully that will help slow (or, say it quietly, reverse) the sprawl eventually.

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

I keep reading about the death of suburbs. I ain’t seeing it.

You're right, suburbs are still growing. However, suburbs have a real saturation point that can only be extended by building more highway lanes. I think the appetite for that is diminishing (as we see with our own I-77 debacle) and will reduce the ability to expand along with it. There are also changes in urban planning which will have interesting effects; for example, Minneapolis just banned single-family zoning.

The inner suburbs seem to be decaying in most cities, except for the most wealthiest parts, like south Charlotte. Whereas the outer suburbs continue to grow and expand. You can see this in many neighborhoods that are located in east, west, and north Charlotte. 

23 minutes ago, asthasr said:

You're right, suburbs are still growing. However, suburbs have a real saturation point that can only be extended by building more highway lanes. I think the appetite for that is diminishing (as we see with our own I-77 debacle) and will reduce the ability to expand along with it. There are also changes in urban planning which will have interesting effects; for example, Minneapolis just banned single-family zoning.

Does Charlotte have the legal ability to do the same here?

4 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

The inner suburbs seem to be decaying in most cities, except for the most wealthiest parts, like south Charlotte. Whereas the outer suburbs continue to grow and expand. You can see this in many neighborhoods that are located in east, west, and north Charlotte. 

Only until NCGA bans it's ability to. And then it would obviously only affect the city limits.

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

The second force is demographic, as boomers downsize and die someone will need to buy those houses. While a significant portion of millennials will want a big suburban house there will be huge segments of that generation who will continue to prefer urban living or who cant afford a house or maintenance or kids or a spouse (thanks student loans). It seems unlikely that there will be enough Millennial buyers to consume all of the suburban SFH in the outer burbs (there is a huge oversupply of this stuff). When buyers don't show prices will decline dramatically -- nobody wants to buy a house in a neighborhood that is loosing value, no matter how cheap it is.

I loved the rant because I am constantly driving around Charlotte thinking about which suburbs will do what. The thing that is needed to save many suburbs is allowing semi-dense, multi-unit housing by-right, thus decreasing the amount of owner-occupied SFHs, giving a more diversified dynamic to the RE ownership in the burbs.

If your subdivision can't sustain enough young buyers to maintain general value, then converting a chunk of those SFH lots into du-tri-quad-plexes could continue bringing money to the area that might have otherwise gone elsewhere, allowing properties to be maintained, values to be sustained. Another important thing to remember is that not everyone should own a home. With renting also comes some freedom, and being segregated to apartment complexes is not the best thing for everyone.

The next step ideally will need to be to create more mini-retail, corner-store style, mixed-use buildings on the edges of those subdivisions on the main roads (apartments over shops, or otherwise). After enough years/decades, each suburban area will benefit from becoming semi-self-sufficient in a pseudo village-like manner. But I'd say there's more fear prohibiting that from happening than anything else.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I loved the rant because I am constantly driving around Charlotte thinking about which suburbs will do what. The thing that is needed to save many suburbs is allowing semi-dense, multi-unit housing by-right, thus decreasing the amount of owner-occupied SFHs, giving a more diversified dynamic to the RE ownership in the burbs.

If your subdivision can't sustain enough young buyers to maintain general value, then converting a chunk of those SFH lots into du-tri-quad-plexes could continue bringing money to the area that might have otherwise gone elsewhere, allowing properties to be maintained, values to be sustained. Another important thing to remember is that not everyone should own a home. With renting also comes some freedom, and being segregated to apartment complexes is not the best thing for everyone.

The next step ideally will need to be to create more mini-retail, corner-store style, mixed-use buildings on the edges of those subdivisions on the main roads (apartments over shops, or otherwise). After enough years/decades, each suburban area will benefit from becoming semi-self-sufficient in a pseudo village-like manner. But I'd say there's more fear prohibiting that from happening than anything else.

What's your take on Park Crossing? It seems to be doing very well with people modernizing as needed. 

7 hours ago, elrodvt said:

What's your take on Park Crossing? It seems to be doing very well with people modernizing as needed. 

I think you took me to mean having subdivision-only amenities? I've known a few folks who live in Park Crossing and been there a lot. It's gorgeous, of course, and a lot of fun, but IMO it is only creating an island of isolation for families with means. If it's not something that can be used by anyone in the adjacent community, then I do not see it as sustainable (in the literal sense). 

When I say "village-like" I mean more in the sense of having actual publically accessible businesses on the edges of any given subdivision. Like put a NoDa/Elizabeth style retail/mixed-use next to SFH neighborhoods. It of course gets tricky when any given neighborhood only has one or two entrances, but the point is to make "nodes" a thing again.

3 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

When I say "village-like" I mean more in the sense of having actual publically accessible businesses on the edges of any given subdivision.

We have some truly massive subdivisions that seem like they should be able to support at least a convenience store and a small cafe, even if it's in the direct middle of the subdivision. It's truly amazing how devoid of interest these places are.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kermit said:

The exurbs (out beyond 12ish miles from downtown) have plenty of new housing, but congestion is killing them quickly. As they get further from job clusters (in terms of travel time) their growth will slow. If the number of jobs in suburban business districts like Ballantyne increases then these exurbs can remain viable, but the recent trend of professional jobs gravitating towards city centers (Honeywell, Lending Tree, Deloitte, Amazon, etc.) while lower-skill jobs (Red Ventures et. al) sprawling outwards will pressure incomes and RE values here. In addition, the exurbs will face the same demographic pressures of the outer burbs.

Good rant, but I don't think congestion ever kills exurbs. If it did, a lot of sun belt cities would look very different. People have shown time after time that they will live with extraordinary commutes and congestion to live where they live.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Good rant, but I don't think congestion ever kills exurbs. If it did, a lot of sun belt cities would look very different. People have shown time after time that they will live with extraordinary commutes and congestion to live where they live.

One thing I think people forget is that people are not all coming uptown to work.  Many Waxhaw residents work in south Charlotte particularly Ballantyne.  Not a long commute.  Many Concord and Kannapolis residents work in University area with its thousands upon thousands of jobs.  again not a long commute.   Many SC commuters work in south Charlotte and Arrowood area that includes thousands of jobs.   Airport employees live all over but have odd times.  Many Lake area residents work in the northern towns or in Mooresville.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Good rant, but I don't think congestion ever kills exurbs.

It doesn't kill them, but it exerts an invisible pressure on their development (and on the economy of the entire region). The reason that a highway fills up again after spending $150 million widening it is simply because a little of the pressure is released and exurbs further away can be developed.

A common new urbanist mantra is that "traffic is good," but I disagree with that. Traffic comes in two types: engaged and passive. Engaged traffic, where there's a possibility that someone will stop and interact with the space through which they're passing, is economically beneficial. Passive traffic, where people are sitting for hours on the freeway and absolutely will not interact with any businesses in the region, is pure drain. I think that this is the reason Atlanta (for example) has plateaued "lower" than might have been expected from its boom times in the 1990s. I think that Charlotte has taken some lessons from that; I hope it's enough to avoid the same fate.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I think you took me to mean having subdivision-only amenities? I've known a few folks who live in Park Crossing and been there a lot. It's gorgeous, of course, and a lot of fun, but IMO it is only creating an island of isolation for families with means. If it's not something that can be used by anyone in the adjacent community, then I do not see it as sustainable (in the literal sense). 

When I say "village-like" I mean more in the sense of having actual publically accessible businesses on the edges of any given subdivision. Like put a NoDa/Elizabeth style retail/mixed-use next to SFH neighborhoods. It of course gets tricky when any given neighborhood only has one or two entrances, but the point is to make "nodes" a thing again.

Makes sense to me . Having some walkable amenities around the edge would sure be nice. They couldn't even figure out how to connect to the trail though.

On 12/27/2018 at 11:02 AM, Third Strike said:

Gentrification is pushing lower income families to the suburbs. With the new tax laws in effect, home or condo ownership is looking less attractive now to individuals. It's going to resemble the second world in the near future. Rising costs, lower incentives and higher income inequality are pushing many to rent. Home ownership will be for those who can afford it and keep their home aesthetically pleasing.  Apartment owners/investors know this and the market also, which is why rents rise higher and higher even during the recession.  The days of white picket fenced homes for most are gone. 

Edited by mpretori