Learning from Other Places

What can Charlotte learn from an island resort town like Hilton Head?  a few things I would say. 

Bike paths: Hilton Head an island only 12 miles by 5 miles at its widest point has 64 miles of bike pathways.  No wonder it was named Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Community by American League of Bicyclists   

https://www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/ourisland/pathways.cfm?menuheader=4

Underground utilities over 90% of the electrical lines are underground. (See photo 1 notice the lack of wires)

Strong tree ordinance.  If you want to develop on the island you must present a tree survey and hardwoods must be preserved at all costs.  And if you have to take some town you will pay.  ( I am not saying this should be done in Charlotte but I do think our tree canopy is one of the greatest assets we have here)

Photo 2 is the Walmart parking lot.  I read an interview the town planner and wherever he travels in the USA people bring up how the local Walmart blends into the natural landscape.  Again hardwood tree save to the max. 

Strong sign ordinance.  No neon allowed anywhere! All signage must be wood and if illuminated it must be ground based lights.  

Since I am the self appointed burger king of UP, here is one of the 2 McDonalds on the island.  Notice no signage except on the ground, no big M and trees and no overhead wires!  

Bike paths, parks, underground  utilities, tree preservation, strong sign ordinances all are trademarks of this island resort town of 40,000 people that attracts 2 million visitors a year to 12 miles of beaches, 15 golf courses, 200 plus restaurants etc.    And if ever want to visit let me know I know all the places to go. 

IMG_8466.JPG

IMG_8451 (2).JPG

IMG_8467 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff Bezos last week: I can't think of anyway to spend my money other than rocketships
Jeff Bezos today: I will halt Amazon HQ expansion in Seattle over proposed taxes to fund affordable housing

Not quite sure what point Rosenberg is trying to make, he is failing.

The "head tax" would take away from the profits of Amazon which would take away from money that Bezos has to spend on Blue Origin (his rocket company).

Context: Bezos in an interview stated he has been selling $1 billion of Amazon stock per year to fund Blue Origin...

Edited by Scribe

So, this video was posted on Twitter and makes a very clear point about the throughput of bike infrastructure:

16 hours ago, Scribe said:

Not quite sure what point Rosenberg is trying to make, he is failing.

He's pointing out the problem of Bezos' rhetoric. He said that "The only way I can see to [spend this much money] is by converting my Amazon winnings into space travel." This is seen by many (including myself) as pretty tasteless when a tiny fraction of that money could be spent to improve conditions in the city that contains his corporate headquarters or to improve conditions for the people his company employs. Of course, it's debatable, and depends on how you view space travel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asthasr said:

He's pointing out the problem of Bezos' rhetoric. He said that "The only way I can see to [spend this much money] is by converting my Amazon winnings into space travel." This is seen by many (including myself) as pretty tasteless when a tiny fraction of that money could be spent to improve conditions in the city that contains his corporate headquarters or to improve conditions for the people his company employs. Of course, it's debatable, and depends on how you view space travel.

Gil Scott Heron’s Whitey on the Moon (from 1970) feels quite prescient here:

A rat done bit my sister Nell. 
(with Whitey on the moon) 
Her face and arms began to swell. 
(and Whitey's on the moon) 

I can't pay no doctor bill. 
(but Whitey's on the moon) 
Ten years from now I'll be payin' still. 
(while Whitey's on the moon) 

The man jus' upped my rent las' night. 
('cause Whitey's on the moon) 
No hot water, no toilets, no lights. 
(but Whitey's on the moon) 

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, asthasr said:

What he chooses to spend money on, is his concern alone.

I personally do not like Bezos, but in Seattle he provides well paying jobs to TENS of THOUSANDS of people. For the city to say they will tax the successful job creators in a "special" way to solve some other issue (it does not matter what the issue is) is absurd!

Amazon pays taxes on every employee and they pay property taxes on all their real estate.

Seattle, instead of working within the tax base wants to single out the successful businesses and impose a new additional tax.  In this instance I will have to side with Bezos and say: well done on calling out this BS.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 2

We need a community with crystal lagoons.  This is the first one in a Tampa suburb, more are planned in Houston and Dallas.  They are really neat.  https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2018/05/01/scenes-from-the-grand-opening-of-the-first-7-5.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-05-05&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1525524906&j=81417821

• Like 1

My prediction about Amazon's HQ2 growth it will happen a lot faster in whatever city they choose then they are saying.  I believe this action in Seattle will really cause employment growth by them to slow there no matter what the outcome.   My bets are still Atlanta or the DC area specifically Northern VA suburbs.   And I think it is time for Charlotte Chamber to start recruiting trips to the Puget Sound area.  Microsoft employs 1000 people in Charlotte already though they are located mainly in the Seattle suburbs not in the city itself.  

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/fury-and-frustration-erupt-over-proposed-head-tax-for-homelessness-services/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

Check this out from Houston just won Best New Retail development in Houston by their Business Journal.  I will check it out next year when I go to H-town  next year. 

This would work great in NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Elizabeth or SouthEnd if you could find the buildings.   I find Houston very innovative in things urban because you can really do anything since there is no zoning.   The Heights area of Houston is like SouthEnd and NoDa combined. 

https://archpaper.com/2018/03/extra-low-rise-commercial-development-houston-design-excellence/#gallery-0-slide-0

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Heights-shopping-center-juxtaposes-modern-with-12507431.php

• Like 3

Closer to home Charlotte can learn quite a bit from Asheville.  Was up there today and since it only 2 hours away my favorite day trip for sure (this time overnight) 

First they have lots of on the street dining patios.  Granted their streets are not as busy or as wide as ours but still.   If you want lots of independent small businesses you must have affordable rent.  This is mostly lost in uptown Charlotte but not in the Plaza Midwood or NoDa business districts.  Older buildings have more affordable rent.  New shiny retail spaces in uptown are so expensive only chains can afford.  History is important and should be preserved.  Obviously downtown Asheville has many historical buildings and of course does not have the office employment we do.  However we need to make it a point to save whatever we have remaining.  Tearing down buildings like old Spivey Query Diehl law firm building does not achieve that.  I know that could have been incorporated into the new hotel to rise there.   And funky art work is appealing.  I have lots more photos at Asheville UP webpage I just dumped a whole bunch there.  But check out a few of these that Charlotte could learn from like the chess/checkerboards or unique artwork scattered around.   Plus they have lots of nice older building facades. 

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8971.JPG

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8998.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Closer to home Charlotte can learn quite a bit from Asheville.  Was up there today and since it only 2 hours away my favorite day trip for sure (this time overnight) 

First they have lots of on the street dining patios.  Granted their streets are not as busy or as wide as ours but still.   If you want lots of independent small businesses you must have affordable rent.  This is mostly lost in uptown Charlotte but not in the Plaza Midwood or NoDa business districts.  Older buildings have more affordable rent.  New shiny retail spaces in uptown are so expensive only chains can afford.  History is important and should be preserved.  Obviously downtown Asheville has many historical buildings and of course does not have the office employment we do.  However we need to make it a point to save whatever we have remaining.  Tearing down buildings like old Spivey Query Diehl law firm building does not achieve that.  I know that could have been incorporated into the new hotel to rise there.   And funky art work is appealing.  I have lots more photos at Asheville UP webpage I just dumped a whole bunch there.  But check out a few of these that Charlotte could learn from like the chess/checkerboards or unique artwork scattered around.   Plus they have lots of nice older building facades. 

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8901.JPG

IMG_8909.JPG

IMG_8910.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8971.JPG

IMG_8942.JPG

IMG_8998.JPG

Love the chess boards.  Downtown Raleigh has those too.  Nothing more urban than some chess hustling!

• Like 3

Nice shots!

It's a bit seedy and run down IMHO with typical NC issues like crappy sidewalks but agree we sure could learn a lot. I always feel a bit like I am at home (BTV) there.

Looking forward to checking out Greenville. Would anyone say it's similar? Really liked the Savannah downtown.

Charleston and Savannah are obviously very similar (I used to prefer Savannah slightly but now I prefer Charleston, but they are so alike it's hard to have a preference).  I personally don't view Asheville and Greenville as similar at all.  I love both cities but for different reasons.  I do think that if you combined Asheville and Greenville you'd end up with Chattanooga (which is also great).  

• Like 3

a couple more from Asheville and why doesn't Charlotte have a Mast General Store? I  think one would work great in an older building on N Tryon or on Brevard between the Nascar HOF and Spectrum Arena.  Tourists and conventioneers would love it.   Downtown Knoxville, Asheville, Winston, Greenville all have  them.  

1. first one new Arras hotel and condos tower in the old BB&T office tower  2. Mast General store  3. the Coffee Bus how cool  is this? on S Biltmore  St by the Aloft 

What Charleston is to the coast in SC Asheville is to the mountains is how I describe it.  Another analogy is Myrtle Beach is to  the coast as Gatlinburg is to the mountains. 

IMG_8926.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

IMG_8932 (2).JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

On 5/5/2018 at 9:13 AM, KJHburg said:

We need a community with crystal lagoons.  This is the first one in a Tampa suburb, more are planned in Houston and Dallas.  They are really neat.  https://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/news/2018/05/01/scenes-from-the-grand-opening-of-the-first-7-5.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-05-05&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1525524906&j=81417821

Does anyone think we’d ever have the opportunity to get one? I know it would get good business but do they want it somewhere that has a winter?

1 minute ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone think we’d ever have the opportunity to get one? I know it would get good business but do they want it somewhere that has a winter?

Dallas is about the same as Charlotte and it would just need to be a master planned community big enough to do this but it would work here.  Since residential developers are doing very few golf courses now like in years past this could be a great amenity that would be unique.   When I am in Houston next year I will check out the one there. 

• Like 1