Suburban Projects

GRLaker

21 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I've had 5 orthopedic spine surgeries in the past 6 years. I had my choice of  Butterworth,  Blodgett ,  or Metro M. I picked Blodgett since it was a guaranteed private room:) I still say Spectrum does not have a  long tern plan. Which ever  practice / program  want's a new building / the latest and greatest, gets one. 

It sometimes feels that way. 

Watch for a new cardiac surgery center popping up along I-96 at the I-196 interchange coming soon.

https://mibiz.com/sections/health-care/new-spectrum-center-would-move-low-risk-cardiac-procedures-away-from-hospital

6 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

It sometimes feels that way. 

Watch for a new cardiac surgery center popping up along I-96 at the I-196 interchange coming soon.

https://mibiz.com/sections/health-care/new-spectrum-center-would-move-low-risk-cardiac-procedures-away-from-hospital

Can't speak to if Spectrum is good with longterm planning, but I think orthopedic surgery and outpatient surgery centers  makes sense away from the core hospital / easy access before and after the procedure.

Joe

On 1/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, walker said:

No details yet but the same developer that is developing the English Hills golf course will be be submitting a proposal to develop the Pines  Golf course in Wyoming for housing:

WOODTV: owners-to-sell-the-pines-golf-course-in-wyoming-to-developer  

So here's the proposal:

MIBIZ: 552-unit-apartment-complex-planned-at-walker-golf-course-property

If you can't read the MIBIZ article, here's the WOODTV story:

WOODTV: the-pines-reimagined-vision-for-wyoming-golf-course-includes-apartments-dog-park

The orthopedic ASC (ambulatory surgery centers) and Cardiac ASC have been in the plans for a while.  You will see Blodgett and Butterworth becoming much, much, more ICU centric.  Methods and protocols are getting better such that long term stays are no longer necessary.  The new ASC's will (i believe) offer 23hr stays to avoid inpatient charging/reimbursement...of course, only for those procedures that it fits with.  For example, I had double carpal tunnel surgery and that is now an office based procedure that takes like 30 minutes and they send you home with a script for just TWO opiods (norco or whatever).   It previously had to be done is a sterile surgical suite/ASC setting.  We are getting better at some things in healthcare all things considered.

We just announced (but have been working for a while on) converting the 8th floor of Meijer Heart Center to 24 new ICU beds...it was previously conference rooms and medical condos.  I *think* this one will also be using modular rooms to speed construction (https://www.businessinsider.com/eir-healthcare-has-created-first-modular-hospital-room-in-world-2018-9).

Same goes for the 11th floor of the children's hospital which was previously administration (though I think maybe that might be for a pediatric behavioral health...yes, it is)

• Spectrum Health Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital will be converting existing space for a 12-bed pediatric medical-psychiatric unit to accommodate pediatric patients who have behavioral health comorbidities along with other medical needs. Thank you to the State of Michigan for funding $5 million toward the development of this unit.
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 11:45 PM, walker said:

This actually looks really nice!

I looked at the minutes from the last Alpine PC and it sounds like Gracewil will have similar density around 500 units.  Although the developer said it may take 20-30 years to build out. .... that seems like a very long time

On 1/22/2022 at 6:00 PM, Floyd_Z said:

This actually looks really nice!

I looked at the minutes from the last Alpine PC and it sounds like Gracewil will have similar density around 500 units.  Although the developer said it may take 20-30 years to build out. .... that seems like a very long time

Makes me wonder which ghost of Christmas past that the Alpine PC were visited by to entertain new development after freezing Alpine Township  in time for the past 25 years. 

8 hours ago, MJLO said:

Makes me wonder which ghost of Christmas past that the Alpine PC were visited by to entertain new development after freezing Alpine Township  in time for the past 25 years. 

Haha, I was thinking the same.  Lack of property taxes maybe?

I understand they don't want the township to turn into Gaines or Byron townships.  Development on Alpine was very poorly planned as anyone who has driven down it knows.  I feel like denying almost all development is as bad as allowing everything.

It's very odd to go from one of the busiest roads in the region to nothing but farm land almost instantly.  It's not like they're an exurb. 

Walker has done a fantastic job with developing Northridge and getting some big facilities (and tax dollars) in there, Alpine could easily do the same on the other side of 4 Mile.

Speaking of Walker, is there a possibility Walker could annex Alpine township?  Do cities even Annex anymore?

Farmland in Alpine and other Townships northwest of town is uniquely suited to growing fruit and is thus extraordinarly valuable as farmland. Unlike other areas, there is no economic incentive to sell for housing.

The Township's planning and zoning rules reinforce the economics by basically prohibiting development north of 5 Mile and west of Bristol. And those rules are further enforced by a policy of not extending sewer or water past those roads.

Edited by Khorasaurus1
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Farmland in Alpine and other Townships northwest of town is uniquely suited to growing fruit and is thus extraordinarly valuable as farmland. Unlike other areas, there is no economic incentive to sell for housing.

The Township's planning and zoning rules reinforce the economics by basically prohibiting development north of 5 Mile and west of Bristol. And those rules are further enforced by a policy of not extending sewer or water past those roads.

What makes farmland so unique in the area?  I'm curious

The "Ridge" is very conducive to growing apples due to the terrain and I think the temperature moderating effect of Lake Michigan.

Sewer and water is available along 4 Mile all thwe way west to Fruit Ridge. Sewer went to Grand Rapids until the township joined the North Kent Sewer Authority. The township then installed a forcemain from Fruit Ridge back east to Comstock Park

• 1 month later...

Pure speculation here, but I've noticed that the postal service has recently added themselves to this sign that used to be Knoll's on 36th street. Move incoming?

image.thumb.png.d8f5bcbe89df9f119a5bdbeda1d76a7f.png

Any one have any info on this?

Who can we petition to get them to move their operations downtown to this location? Easy highway access and close proximity to the airport.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I saw Wheeler is looking is looking to rezone the four parcels on the SW corner of Byron Center and 64th to High Density Residential.  Seems like the best use for the area.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:25 PM, Floyd_Z said:

I saw Wheeler is looking is looking to rezone the four parcels on the SW corner of Byron Center and 64th to High Density Residential.  Seems like the best use for the area.

I found out the other day that the Wheelers are no longer at Orion anymore. They started a company called WDG. 

But yes, I'm surprised no apartment projects have gone into that area already. There was one proposed for the parcel across the street from the elementary school on 64th East of there that did not pass. 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I found out the other day that the Wheelers are no longer at Orion anymore. They started a company called WDG. 

But yes, I'm surprised no apartment projects have gone into that area already. There was one proposed for the parcel across the street from the elementary school on 64th East of there that did not pass. 

I thought Wheller Dev Co split off from Orion, which split off from Rockford?  No idea how accurate that is.

They are scheduling a public hearing for the zoning change, but I hope it goes through.  Nice and close to M6 and Metro's campus..  I'm kind of surprised the parcels on either side of M6 west of Byron Center haven't been developed.  Looks like they're all owned by the same company.  That would be another nice spot for HDR, but maybe they'd rather have industrial?  Wheeler does some pretty decent HDR and we all know it very much needed.

I thought Wherlers departure from Rockford (which he founded) was a bit more scandalous (may be wrong, thought it was a messy divorce or affair that led to messy divorce?). Surprising they broke off from Orion. Wonder if they’ll be focusing mostly on residential? That seemed to be a big part of Orions business recently.

Joe

13 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I thought Wherlers departure from Rockford (which he founded) was a bit more scandalous (may be wrong, thought it was a messy divorce or affair that led to messy divorce?). Surprising they broke off from Orion. Wonder if they’ll be focusing mostly on residential? That seemed to be a big part of Orions business recently.

Joe

I wonder what it means for the tower on Fulton at Ionia that they had planned. 

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I wonder what it means for the tower on Fulton at Ionia that they had planned. 

Last time I talked to someone in the know and I asked about it, things have shifted and it's not going to be going up soon (that doesn't mean at all) and was told a mixed use parking ramp (with potential air rights) at the library is the project to look to next. 

All gossip, but from a good source 

5 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Last time I talked to someone in the know and I asked about it, things have shifted and it's not going to be going up soon (that doesn't mean at all) and was told a mixed use parking ramp (with potential air rights) at the library is the project to look to next. 

All gossip, but from a good source 

Ugh they already did one extension.  I was really hoping we'd have this with the studio park tower and the two spectrum projects.  It would have added a lot to the skyline.

Apparently GRPL doesn't want a development that will "dwarf" their building, so I don't think we'll see anything with any substantial height. 

It would be cool if St. Cecilia or Park church agreed to develop their surface lots in exchange for use of parking.

15 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Ugh they already did one extension.  I was really hoping we'd have this with the studio park tower and the two spectrum projects.  It would have added a lot to the skyline.

Apparently GRPL doesn't want a development that will "dwarf" their building, so I don't think we'll see anything with any substantial height. 

It would be cool if St. Cecilia or Park church agreed to develop their surface lots in exchange for use of parking.

I read that they're main concern was the Ryerson (original) building. They'd like to keep space next to that open so it didn't dwarf the original structure. I don't think they were as concerned about the newer portion. They had some massing exercises that were using 8 or 9 stories as the size. Don't know if that could get substantially larger is the found a developer that wanted to go higher? They're also leaning towards activated street level, parking, then development above (as opposed to a liner). I think liner buildings are the way to go, don't know why they preferred the other (maybe bigger footprint of parking per level)?

Joe

33 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I read that they're main concern was the Ryerson (original) building. They'd like to keep space next to that open so it didn't dwarf the original structure. I don't think they were as concerned about the newer portion. They had some massing exercises that were using 8 or 9 stories as the size. Don't know if that could get substantially larger is the found a developer that wanted to go higher? They're also leaning towards activated street level, parking, then development above (as opposed to a liner). I think liner buildings are the way to go, don't know why they preferred the other (maybe bigger footprint of parking per level)?

Joe

It seems like it would make sense to build a 3ish story building next to Ryerson, with approximately the same setback. Use the setback for some outdoor seating space and some landscaping/trees.

Then build the parking garage immediately north of that. Put the parking entrance on Fountain next to the library's loading dock, allowing continuous active street frontage from that point to the corner, and then all the way down Ransom to Library. 

Build the residential so it looks like multiple towers sticking out of the garage, with some "step-back" from the edge of the garage. That will make the massing less imposing, and allow for more windows/balconies. I doubt the residential would get super tall - I'm picturing a larger version of this development in Holland: https://www.towersonriver.com/

Anyway, that's how I'd design it. 

I definitely feel that that the area around the vets park is very under utilized. It could be a really cool area if they had more businesses and shops and bars surrounding it. But as it is, there's a library, the condos, the Apartment Lounge and kids museum (which is cool) and the poke place to the south with apartments. But the east side is DEAD. 

I know not much can be done about that, it just seems like such a cool area for more street level activity.

2 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I definitely feel that that the area around the vets park is very under utilized. It could be a really cool area if they had more businesses and shops and bars surrounding it. But as it is, there's a library, the condos, the Apartment Lounge and kids museum (which is cool) and the poke place to the south with apartments. But the east side is DEAD. 

I know not much can be done about that, it just seems like such a cool area for more street level activity.

I also think the density of churches in that area doesn't help. They're fairly underutilized structures that don't add a lot of vibrancy the area (not saying they should go anywhere, they are amazing structures, but definitely kind of buzzkills that area most times of day / most days of the week).

Joe

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I also think the density of churches in that area doesn't help. They're fairly underutilized structures that don't add a lot of vibrancy the area (not saying they should go anywhere, they are amazing structures, but definitely kind of buzzkills that area most times of day / most days of the week).

Joe

Dude. I'm the current Senior Minister at Fountain Street Church and this is the bane of my existence. Sleepy... underutilized fortresses like ours completely killing off activity on the street all day. And I've often been quite open about this matter with our members and lay leadership lol.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2022 at 2:26 PM, Cookin_peacocks said:

It does have a "neighborhood" feel to it. I think it's because of the older tree canopies. It definitely could pop a lot more.