Suburban Projects

GRLaker

4 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Ooh ooh! White Castle!

Ok, so I am a shameless lover of White Castle.  I actually emailed them and asked if they ever had plans of opening a location here.  They said no because it was too far out of their distribution network.  This was several years ago and now that they closed the Lansing location, it's probably even less likely.  I don't think they are franchised owned and not really too motivated to expand their brand.  GR and Kzoo are pretty much halfway between Chicago and Detroit, so it would make sense.  Looking at their locations they seem to be super picky about cities.  Columbus, Dayton, Indy, Detroit, but not Pittsburgh or Cleveland?  weird

56 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

Ok, so I am a shameless lover of White Castle.  I actually emailed them and asked if they ever had plans of opening a location here.  They said no because it was too far out of their distribution network.  This was several years ago and now that they closed the Lansing location, it's probably even less likely.  I don't think they are franchised owned and not really too motivated to expand their brand.  GR and Kzoo are pretty much halfway between Chicago and Detroit, so it would make sense.  Looking at their locations they seem to be super picky about cities.  Columbus, Dayton, Indy, Detroit, but not Pittsburgh or Cleveland?  weird

I totally like White Castle. I also liked Get Em N Go and Checkers too, haha. 

But this restaurant site plan shows no drive through, so I'd be really surprised if it were a Tim Horton's. 

So I think it's going to be a fast casual sit down type place. Chipotle?

1695394981_starbucksbeltline.thumb.jpg.6

well heres a screen shot of the rendering with the color scene they were questioning sounding like they didn’t like it, the developer said it’s the chains branding. Looks brown and tan brick with red accents which Tim Hortons came to mind, and I could see them doing ok by the theater without the need for a drive through. 

5BA4D47E-7ACB-464C-ACD1-D4F707F47AAA.png

6 hours ago, GR8scott said:

well heres a screen shot of the rendering with the color scene they were questioning sounding like they didn’t like it, the developer said it’s the chains branding. Looks brown and tan brick with red accents which Tim Hortons came to mind, and I could see them doing ok by the theater without the need for a drive through. 

5BA4D47E-7ACB-464C-ACD1-D4F707F47AAA.png

That looks like. Freddy’s to me. Especially when I googled them. But just a guess. 

I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a Tim Hortons in Grand Rapids do well? All of the ones that I can think of are now closed. 

there’s a story on WZZM about a place called Chick’N Cone that is opening at Celebration. Thought maybe that was the chain moving in, but they’re taking over the old firehouse subs location. It sounds delicious. :)

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I drove by the Whole Foods and was wondering when it was going to open. Apparently they're shooting for a confirmed August 3rd Grand Opening:

https://shamrock-acq.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Whole-Foods-OM-Final-02-17-22-.pdf

Some interesting financial data in that report. 

Can you imagine the traffic jam of suburban moms (in their giant Suburbans) flooding that intersection? What a mess. :rofl:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well kids, it looks like the old Toys R Us on 28th Street is being torn down for 3 new buildings. One will be a BJ's Restaurant, another will be a Chase Bank, and a third yet to be leased space. 

toys r us site.jpg

image.png.8ce601d5101511ebf5ea7ecd088bfd8b.png

In related (head-scratching) news, Chick Fil A is seeking to change their drive through to a true double-lane drive through, so that their line queue does not go in front of the new BJ's restaurant.

200980927_chikfilaline.thumb.jpg.63f98901c8f2b72a6c6975244224fe84.jpg

42373869_chikfilanewline.thumb.jpg.b039b01377186deea24c9705dfbdffb1.jpg

1 hour ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I get it, it's a concrete jungle there and anything is better than an abandoned box store, but I really wish we could do more than plop a building in the middle of a sea of concrete and call it a day 

Agreed. But the Toys R Us building was a terrible building from day it opened (two ramps on each side with set of long stairs in the middle). I hope they have to do a fair amount a greenscaping.

Joe

22 hours ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

I get it, it's a concrete jungle there and anything is better than an abandoned box store, but I really wish we could do more than plop a building in the middle of a sea of concrete and call it a day 

It's actually 3 buildings! :)

at least BJs is a new to the area chain, always thought it was odd that "Beer city USE" didnt really have any of the chain beer bars like BJs, Granite City, Yardhouse ect. Looks like the 3rd propsed building is set up like a fast food place, hope its one of these; https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2022/06/15/michigans-first-raising-canes-construction-underway-east-lansing/7614588001/ but probably too close to Chick-fil-a

1 hour ago, GR8scott said:

at least BJs is a new to the area chain, always thought it was odd that "Beer city USE" didnt really have any of the chain beer bars like BJs, Granite City, Yardhouse ect. Looks like the 3rd propsed building is set up like a fast food place, hope its one of these; https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/news/2022/06/15/michigans-first-raising-canes-construction-underway-east-lansing/7614588001/ but probably too close to Chick-fil-a

Is there such a thing as similar fast food places being too close together? I thought they loved clustering. In fact, I once heard the Burger King's site selection process was just to find locations near McDonald's, because one aspect of their customer attraction strategy was "get McDonalds' overflow when their drive through line is too long." 

Edited by Khorasaurus1

21 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

Is there such a thing as similar fast food places being too close together? I thought they loved clustering. In fact, I once heard the Burger King's site selection process was just to find locations near McDonald's, because one aspect of their customer attraction strategy was "get McDonalds' overflow when their drive through line is too long." 

you could very well be right,  and not that they wouldnt locate in the same general area but 2 chicken places immediately next to each other seems a little odd. either way hope its something else new to the area. 

• 3 weeks later...

This project has finally broken ground and they're moving a lot of dirt. It sits on Knapp right by St John's Home and I-96. Seems to be somewhat of a departure from the townhomes that were on the marketing sign that's been sitting there since I think 2016 or 2017. 

https://www.cproperties.com/news/avanterra-forest-hills-preserve-groundbreaking

16 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This project has finally broken ground and they're moving a lot of dirt. It sits on Knapp right by St John's Home and I-96. Seems to be somewhat of a departure from the townhomes that were on the marketing sign that's been sitting there since I think 2016 or 2017. 

https://www.cproperties.com/news/avanterra-forest-hills-preserve-groundbreaking

Interesting concept (new to me at least). Single family rental homes. 

I drove by the other day and actually thought it was just another entry to St. John’s. That area is going through a pretty massive change. 

Joe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting concept (new to me at least). Single family rental homes. 

I drove by the other day and actually thought it was just another entry to St. John’s. That area is going through a pretty massive change. 

Joe

I also thought this was going to be a St. Johns project.  Did that fall through or is that a different project?  I thought they already broke ground on it.

Too bad MDOT didn't have the fore site to acquire land for an on/off ramp.

12 minutes ago, Floyd_Z said:

I also thought this was going to be a St. Johns project.  Did that fall through or is that a different project?  I thought they already broke ground on it.

Too bad MDOT didn't have the fore site to acquire land for an on/off ramp.

I did see something about a St John's expansion but it's definitely different from this project. I think it's in the back of the existing buildings. 

I drove by today too Joe and they have buildings going up already. I walked this property way back almost 8 years ago with some developers and it's got a really pretty ravine in the back 1/3 of it. It will be interesting to see how they build around it (or across it). 

• Like 1