Hinman project - new 13 story hotel at 10 Ionia

GRDadof3

Just drove by. A few thoughts. 1.  I think the rendering they have on site is way off from a scale perspective (its much bigger). 2. Even with a few panels up, you can see how much this area is going to change the area. 

It feels big. Definitely get down and take a look. It’s hard to get a good photo that shows the scale of just the first two floors. Also, I think it’ll have McKay tower vibe. It’s gray.  the renderings always show it as a tan/sandstone color. 

Exciting to see progress above ground!

Joe

10 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I think it’ll have McKay tower vibe. It’s gray.  the renderings always show it as a tan/sandstone color. 

Exciting to see progress above ground!

Joe

You don’t think they will paint or anything?

30 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

1.  I think the rendering they have on site is way off from a scale perspective (its much bigger).

Yeah - I feel like that wide angle rendering is attempting to make it look like the center of a big plaza, and that's not what this is at all.  It's a tight space.  It'll make downtown feel more dense.

I had no idea this was going to be precast.  I was really doubting the "coming in 2020" banner, but this should rise pretty quick.  Letting the precast cure at Kerkstra instead of onsite has to save a ton of time (and money?)

3 hours ago, MJLO said:

You don’t think they will paint or anything?

I hope not. They can put the color in the precast panel (look at 601 Bond which was done by Kerkstra). The only reason I say I hope not, is paint on concrete tends to make things look shabby every 10 years. :)

it looked to me like once these slabs go up, there’s a “ledge” that the second floor will sit on. So the first two floors may be up by Friday, and then a long wait as they pour the first and second floor?

Joe

34 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Taking shape! 

E7BA6EF4-6534-4C62-A05D-3EEAB75C534A.jpeg

Must've just missed you Chris. 

I'm confused, the final building has to be taller than this crane, no? These panels have a very nice finish to them. I'd say they're in their finished look. 

20190619_104346.thumb.jpg.0a7d770678ea1182120dc9899d4d80c5.jpg

20190619_104613.thumb.jpg.fc7d94abe5a3654c68123d95451d40be.jpg

20190619_104929.thumb.jpg.269ff3306ab724cdd05e20cb2281170f.jpg

2 hours ago, 54equalsunity said:

I also took a picture today! 72b32346e6e1709113f3358f33d095f9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Niiiiceee!!

Here are the measurements again. It's about 164 feet tall so it's almost twice as tall the the CWD Building (50 Louis) at 89 feet. So this crane can't be it...

45777099235_77c7fde167_o.jpg

This image seems to be more like it:

capturejpg-1c965f87cb524d4d.jpg

21 hours ago, arcturus said:

Wonder if Amazon's distribution center on 68th kickstarted Kerkstra.  That was one heckuva lot of precast.

Kerkstra has been expanding in Grandville for years - both their building and storage property. Always had the yard stuff with curing precast.  Timpson trucked all the pieces to their Detroit projects.  On a delivery day there would be a "convey"of Timpson flatbeds on I-96.  A couple years ago they built the Detroit facility.  Amazon didn't kick start Kerkstra,  Kerkstra has been going gang busters for many years now. And they got started building septic tanks.

Edited by Raildude's dad

1 hour ago, Raildude's dad said:

It's basically a precast concrete lincoln log / erector set system. Fit them together, make the connections and move to the next. Look at the projects Kerkstra has done on their website, lots of pretty neat projects.

They did 601 Bond.