NC Civil Rights

southslider

I am sorry...but I can't stop laughing at the MORON who said this: Pay Pal CEO...lol

"This decision reflects PayPal’s deepest values and our strong belief that every person has the right to be treated equally, and with dignity and respect. These principles of fairness, inclusion and equality are at the heart of everything we seek to achieve and stand for as a company. And they compel us to take action to oppose discrimination."

I never knew China and Saudi Arabia treated people equal. I never knew they treated their people with dignity and respect.

I for one boycott Pay Pal and will never use their service again. Their CEO is a TOTAL HYPOCRITE and MORON. We don't need their jobs in our great state!!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I am sorry...but I can't stop laughing at the MORON who said this: Pay Pal CEO...lol

"This decision reflects PayPal’s deepest values and our strong belief that every person has the right to be treated equally, and with dignity and respect. These principles of fairness, inclusion and equality are at the heart of everything we seek to achieve and stand for as a company. And they compel us to take action to oppose discrimination."

I never knew China and Saudi Arabia treated people equal. I never knew they treated their people with dignity and respect.

I for one boycott Pay Pal and will never use their service again. Their CEO is a TOTAL HYPOCRITE and MORON. We don't need their jobs in our great state!!

The fact that you can't understand the difference between foreign markets and an American state is dumbfounding to me.  You could make a valid argument that, despite human rights records in those countries, providing secure well paying jobs ethically supersedes doing business with a government that PayPal cannot impact in anyway.  PayPal leaving China won't change China's human rights issues, nor Saudi Arabia.  You do understand that, right?

But whatever.  I'm sure your $40 transfer via PayPal every month is going to really put a dent in them.  How will they recover!?!??

38 minutes ago, RaleighHeelsfan said:

I totally understand what I am saying. If companies stop doing buisness in China because of the way they treat people, It might make a difference. Your stance is just sit there and do nothing.

Charity begins at home. PayPal is plucking the log out of an American eye first.

We can hardly preach equality to others if we're not practicing it and insisting upon it at home.

That would make us a hypocrite.

2 hours ago, ah59396 said:

The fact that you can't understand the difference between foreign markets and an American state is dumbfounding to me.  You could make a valid argument that, despite human rights records in those countries, providing secure well paying jobs ethically supersedes doing business with a government that PayPal cannot impact in anyway.  PayPal leaving China won't change China's human rights issues, nor Saudi Arabia.  You do understand that, right?

But whatever.  I'm sure your $40 transfer via PayPal every month is going to really put a dent in them.  How will they recover!?!??

Actually I disagree with you concerning companies not doing business such as Paypal in repressive countries such as Saudi Arabia and China for instance.....this was done with much success in the 1980's against the South African government in protest against it's apartheid program.  Over 100 companies pull out of the country in protest of South Africa's racial laws, which was very detrimental to the white minority government.

Of course Paypal is able to send a political message to North Carolina because first they have NO investment here and second there are 49 other states for them to set up a expanded USA operations without affecting their bottom line.  Do you think they are going to compromise the shareholders and overall company's financial health in two lucrative markets......NO because money and profits talk! Thus I believe their overall stance is very hypocritical.

19 minutes ago, rancenc said:

Actually I disagree with you concerning companies not doing business such as Paypal in repressive countries such as Saudi Arabia and China for instance.....this was done with much success in the 1980's against the South African government in protest against it's apartheid program.  Over 100 companies pull out of the country in protest of South Africa's racial laws, which was very detrimental to the white minority government.

Of course Paypal is able to send a political message to North Carolina because first they have NO investment here and second there are 49 other states for them to set up a expanded USA operations without affecting their bottom line.  Do you think they are going to compromise the shareholders and overall company's financial health in two lucrative markets......NO because money and profits talk! Thus I believe their overall stance is very hypocritical.

Great post rancenc!!!

37 minutes ago, rancenc said:

That's fair.  I can accept it's ethically hypocritical of them.  Though I don't understand why them taking a stance here, means they have to in every other situation, in order for the NC situation to be warranted.  Clearly the climate for the stance, in the case of NC, was right for them.  As you said, puling out of China would be detrimental to their business.  Not coming to NC largely doesn't affect them, but still has a monster impact on us.  So financially (not ethically) they are very different situations.

Does anyone see the humor in this? Seriously, I didn't think for a minute they were leaving because of LGBT sympathy. They will make more money in Cuba. Thank you Obama forgiving another U.S. company an opportunity to use cheaper and become wealthier by increasing the workforce in a country that knows nothing about human rights. No LGBT friendly bathrooms there.  Why doesn't the state simply vote on the issue?  Wouldn't that be the only fair way?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article69837702.html

NC LGBT law prompts Lionsgate to pull production of new Hulu show from Charlotte

Lionsgate is pulling production for a new Hulu show that was supposed to be filmed in Charlotte, the latest fallout from North Carolina’s new law limiting LGBT protections.

The Santa Monica, Calif.-based studio had intended to shoot the pilot for “Crushed” in the Charlotte area. The comedy starring Regina Hall is about an African-American family and their Napa wine business.

Film industry backlash is the latest business reaction to the controversial new law, signed March 23 by Gov. Pat McCrory.

Jennifer Irvine, who was hired as the local production office coordinator for the show, said the studio informed employees March 24 that it was pulling the plug on the show. Several contractors also confirmed they were told the show had been pulled in Charlotte.

Lionsgate representatives did not return multiple requests for comment. A representative from the state’s film commission declined to comment on the project.

Pre-production work on “Crushed” was to start in early April, and filming was set to begin in May, Irvine said. It’s now going to be filmed in Vancouver, Canada. It’s unclear how many local workers the project affected.

Irvine, who previously worked on the Showtime show “Homeland,” said the film industry in Charlotte was already suffering after the elimination of a state tax credit program in 2014.

“When we lost our tax incentives a year ago, I lost my work at that point,” she said. “We were just starting to trickle back. And now when (McCrory) signed that bill, he tainted the film industry all over again.”

The new North Carolina LGBT bill was a response to a provision in Charlotte’s expanded nondiscrimination ordinance that would have allowed transgender people to use the bathroom that corresponds to the gender with which they identify. Other major corporationslike American Airlines and Apple, as well as sports organizations like the NBA, have similarly voiced their disapproval.

Lionsgate will finish filming the musical “Dirty Dancing” in North Carolina, given how far along the project is. The studio said House Bill 2 is “deplorable and discriminatory, and it runs counter to everything we stand for,” according to a letter obtained by the Observer that was issued by Lionsgate on behalf of “Dirty Dancing.”

“We will be hard pressed to continue our relationship with North Carolina if this regressive law remains on the books,” the letter states.

Similarly, the Motion Picture Association of America said it and its members oppose “any law that legitimizes discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression,” said Vans Stevenson, the association’s senior vice president for state government affairs.

Rob Reiner, who directed films like “When Harry Met Sally” and “The Princess Bride,” has said he won’t film in North Carolina until the new LGBT bill is repealed.

“I encourage my colleagues in the entertainment industry to vow to do the same. Enough is enough,” Reiner said of the bill, which he called “hateful,” in a statement provided by the Human Rights Campaign.

Georgia faced similar backlash from the film industry – Disney threatened to pull its business from the state – as Gov. Nathan Deal considered a controversial religious liberty bill, which opponents called anti-gay. Deal vetoed the bill March 28.

I have a couple of honest questions for anyone who actually knows the answers...

1. Assuming HB2 hadn't been passed, did Charlotte have any sort of ordinance that protected gay people from discrimination? If so, what were the consequences for breaking the ordinance?

2. I have read HB2 for myself, but I'm unclear on something (perhaps several things and I just don't realize it yet). Since the Fed government doesn't recognize gay people as a protected class (for discrimination purposes), what actual difference does HB2 make to someone who is gay in NC? I'm not talking about symbolism or how it makes anyone feel. I'm asking what are the actual consequences in physical, monetary or legal terms.

I am not trying to imply anything by asking these questions other than I want to understand this better. If I seem blunt, it's just because I want to cut to the chase of what I'm actually wondering. Also, I'm sure I'll have follow up questions/comments, but I don't live here, so be patient...

16 minutes ago, jednc said:

I have a couple of honest questions for anyone who actually knows the answers...

1. Assuming HB2 hadn't been passed, did Charlotte have any sort of ordinance that protected gay people from discrimination? If so, what were the consequences for breaking the ordinance?

2. I have read HB2 for myself, but I'm unclear on something (perhaps several things and I just don't realize it yet). Since the Fed government doesn't recognize gay people as a protected class (for discrimination purposes), what actual difference does HB2 make to someone who is gay in NC? I'm not talking about symbolism or how it makes anyone feel. I'm asking what are the actual consequences in physical, monetary or legal terms.

I am not trying to imply anything by asking these questions other than I want to understand this better. If I seem blunt, it's just because I want to cut to the chase of what I'm actually wondering. Also, I'm sure I'll have follow up questions/comments, but I don't live here, so be patient...

You're not fooling anyone with your "questions.''

They're GOP spin.

The federal government does enforce and litigate Title VII as already forbidding discrimination on the bases of sexual orientation and gender identity.  The federal EEOC says:

EEOC interprets and enforces Title VII's prohibition of sex discrimination as forbidding any employment discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.  These protections apply regardless of any contrary state or local laws.

http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/wysk/enforcement_protections_lgbt_workers.cfm

2 minutes ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

The federal government does enforce and litigate Title VII as already forbidding discrimination on the bases of sexual orientation and gender identity.  The federal EEOC says:

EEOC interprets and enforces Title VII's prohibition of sex discrimination as forbidding any employment discrimination based on gender identity or sexual orientation.  These protections apply regardless of any contrary state or local laws.

And there you have it. What cold have been a amazing progressive city and tourist mecca will be a story we tell our children. 

6 minutes ago, DCMetroRaleigh said:

That's remarkable. I like to think of myself as fairly well informed, but I've never heard of this. I can't help but wonder why the Fed doesn't just include LBGT in the list of specified protected classes if they end up enforcing the law that way anyway. Thank you for the information!

In effect, this answers both of my questions then.

HB2 then really doesn't hold water as far as any citizen of NC can still get help/support from the EEOC, which of course would lead me to believe that this is yet another reason HB2 will most likely be overturned.

Archived