Atlanta Photo of the Day

Hmmm...nice shot, Andrea. It took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant by 50 years ago, but then I realized it was Fairlie-Poplar.

As for myself, I spent the whole day in Atlanta seeing the Radio City Music Spectacular at the Fox Theater. Afterwards, my family and I went up to Atlantic Station for a few minutes. We then ended our day with dinner at the Varsity and then came home.

Expect PLENTY of pics in a few days! :)

Edited by ironchapman

Hmmm...nice shot, Andrea. It took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant by 50 years ago, but then I realized it was Fairlie-Poplar.

As for myself, I spent the whole day in Atlanta seeing the Radio City Music Spectacular at the Fox Theater. Afterwards, my family and I went up to Atlantic Station for a few minutes. We then ended our day with dinner at the Varsity and then came home.

Expect PLENTY of pics in a few days! :)

LOL! Just another one of my lame jokes, I'm afraid. I actually took this picture a couple of days ago, but in fact everything does look almost exactly the same as it did in 1981. Y'all probably couldn't tell I threw in an antique car just to make everything look authentic. (I'm dangerous now that I've finished this Photoshop class).

Looking forward to those pictures, IC!

^Actually, that's what I first thought. I figured it looked a bit too new to have been taken 25 years ago (the weather looked a bit too similar to the weather we had a few days ago). That car threw me for a loop, though. That Photoshop class taught you well. :)

Photoshop...........it's a wonderful thing, ain't it? ;)

As for the pics, hopefully I'll have them here by Sunday. :) (Otherwise, expect them Monday or Tuesday)

Edited by ironchapman

I knew something was wrong with that car. It was off the lane and it was the sun didn't seem to hit it right.
I'm surprised some super-secret government agency hasn't hired me with my new-found skills.

Here are two undoctored photos of downtown I took at the same time. One shows the old Trust Company Bank, which I think is still a handsome building and a good example of the International Style. That's where King & Spalding was before they moved to 191 Peachtree in the 80's, although I guess they're leaving downtown for good now to anchor the new Symphony Tower.

The other picture is, of course, SunTrust Plaza, which I believe was the last major office building to be built downtown, way back in 1992. I had an appointment there a few weeks ago and it was totally gorgeous. I believe John Portman, whose impact on Atlanta has truly been phenomenal, still has his offices there.

TCB.jpg

SuntrustPlaza.jpg

Edited by Andrea

Here is one I took last night from the corner of the Varsity parking lot. You can bet I nearly froze while I was out there, too! (I spent a good 15 minutes getting this shot right, seeing as it was the only exposure I had left!)

67301938_2723e0cf18_o.jpg

I didn't want to bother with long exposure because I didn't have a tripod and it would be too risky to just use my hands. It turned out rather well.

Edited by ironchapman

Is the westin the one that looks like a cigarette? All of these shots are very nice. Good job everyone!

The Westin is the tall, cylindrical, reflective skyscraper in the center of the shot.

This question is quite confusing because the Bank of America building (the tall brown one with the pyramid and spire on top) is also said to resemble a cigarette when lit at night. It is at the far left of the picture.

The Westin is the tall, cylindrical, reflective skyscraper in the center of the shot.

This question is quite confusing because the Bank of America building (the tall brown one with the pyramid and spire on top) is also said to resemble a cigarette when lit at night. It is at the far left of the picture.

The Westin kind of looks like a big silver cigar.

Edited by Mike D