Atlanta Photo of the Day

Today I went to see my sick baby ( infant ) cousin at the childrens hospital near Emory. When we went back home, we drove down 1-75/85 (the downtown connector) And 1180's fin lights were not on, but some other lights were. And Bellsouth had lights on the corners. On was blue and the other was pink.

Here's one I took while crossing the street. Don't worry, I was fine. I was moving the entire time, as you can probably tell be the shot:

Yet another nice shot, IC.

Looking at that photo brings back a lot of memories for me, as things really have not changed that much from a visual perspective during the last 30 years. I worked in the Equitable Building, which you can see on the left in the next block down, and traversed that area thousands of times. For a year or so I parked in the deck with the steel cage on the near right, and they had an excellent samurai deli on the ground floor. One of their special attractions was their Phlly cheesesteak, and it was hard to walk by those grilled onions without stopping in. The Playboy Club (lol, I guess Atlanta doesn't have one of those anymore, does it?) would have been over on the left side of Luckie. Further down on the right would have been Herren's Restaurant, known far and wide for its Shrimp Arnaud and unique cinnamon rolls, and the equally infamous Little Mug, renowned for its potent vodka martinis. Right across the street from the Equitable was Leb's, an Atlanta institution for decades. Their hotdogs soaked in beer were highly sought after. Also in the Luckie building was Timberlake's, which for my money had the best pastrami sandwich in town. (Yes, I know a lot of people would lean toward Harold's or the Snack Shack, but Timberlake's pickle bin give them the edge).

I like the cleaned up streetscape, although I must say I miss some of the hurly-burly liveliness and funkiness of the old city. You would never walk down that little stretch of sidewalk without running into bankers, waitresses, politicians, doctors, tailors, judges, restarauteurs, and other people you knew. Downtown was still very much a happening place until the mid-80's, when a lot of businesses relocated to Buckhead, Midtown and beyond. My Dad worked Downtown for many years, too, and that part of Atlanta will always have a special place in my heart. I hope it comes back stronger than ever.

Atlanta's growth has long been shaped by its railroads, and perhaps the Beltline will write yet another chapter in that history. This is the Van Winkle Gin and Machinery Works, over near Howell Station, built in the 1890's. I took this picture about a month ago:

VanWinklePan.jpg

Here's a link to a historic Van Winkle ad, which shows what the factory looked like in its heyday.

Atlanta's growth has long been shaped by its railroads, and perhaps the Beltline will write yet another chapter in that history. This is the Van Winkle Gin and Machinery Works, over near Howell Station, built in the 1890's. I took this picture about a month ago:

VanWinklePan.jpg

Here's a link to a historic Van Winkle ad, which shows what the factory looked like in its heyday.

Nice to see a little bits of the city's history. Looks like a prime redevelopment site.

Andrea - so you've explored that area too? My wife & I chanced upon that area when we were driving around the furniture shops off of Howell Mill. The dirt roads that meander along the railroad tracks make a great excursion into Atlanta's industrial past.
Yes, Brad. I first discovered it about 20 years ago when I made a wrong turn coming out of Forsyth Fabrics. Later a friend of mine who's into trainspotting told me that Howell Tower is almost the Holy Land to rail aficionados. I've subsequently hung out there a couple of times taking train pictures, although the railroad security people will yell at you off if they catch you. Needless to say, it's also a good place to get run over by a train.

There's been kind of an alternative artist colony in the ruins of the old Van Winkle factory as long I've known about it. I don't know who actually owns the property but I hope it doesn't get demolished or turned into a cutesy mall.

The next time y'all get in the mood to go exploring, drop me a line! I love to go crawling around in old places where you're not supposed to be.

:ph34r:

Edited by Andrea

Check this out:

m10.jpg

I saw that last night riding my bike back to my apartment. I just got off marta about an hour ago but they were off tonight. I wonder why. Maybe they were just testing them?

Anyway, do you live in Arts Center? Just curious because I live in it. Looks like you took that pic from the pool area.

I saw that last night riding my bike back to my apartment. I just got off marta about an hour ago but they were off tonight. I wonder why. Maybe they were just testing them?

Anyway, do you live in Arts Center? Just curious because I live in it. Looks like you took that pic from the pool area.

Oh no, I found it on another forum. Sorry.

And Bellsouth had lights on the corners. On was blue and the other was pink.

I noticed it from the connecter (yesterday) as I was going to Starbucks to meet a pal. I actually walked over to attempt to get a close-up but tall companions decided to destroy my umbrella with a powerful downdraft. The only time in my life I've ever been angered by a set of skyscrapers.