The Transportation and Mass Transit Megathread

TopTenn

18 hours ago, Luvemtall said:

There’s large parking lots on both sides of the tracks ,just behind the hotel. A new “ Grand Central Union Station “ can span the tracks and accommodate both a train depot and multiple towers with a transit center for buses, ride share, etc on lower levels with the Amtrak train. 

Not an ideal situation IMO.  I think a better would be on the west side of the tracks at Church Street where there is a wide swath of CSX land from Charlotte to the viaduct at Church.  This land will no longer needed by CSX when the yard is reduced to fewer tracks and no switching yard.  With the proposal for 3 new residential towers over beside Granger already planned, I think Church is much more of a business heart than Broadway and a station right by Amazon seems more viable than a complete rehab of Union Station.  Access at the viaduct level would be available , but surface vehicular access off Chatlotte seems an attractive possibility as well.

• Like 4

That’s a respectable idea, I’m on board ! (pun intended) . I also think that Church Street is becoming the address to have Downtown, it is quickly becoming Nashville’s Crown. That location would be perfect, and I have a feeling that some if not all of the nearby NES properties will someday become available for new developments 

• Like 1

Part of that section is 6 lanes plus a turn lane so there is no reason they should not be able to add the bike lanes, however part of that section has limited shoulders with unprotected bike lanes already. To reduce the traffic down to one lane or eliminate the turn lanes in favor of a protected bike lane would be a bad tradeoff as there are more pedestrians than bikers along this route. Pedestrians should always take the priority.

I know there are a lot of bike advocates on this board but there are a lot more pedestrian deaths in this city that has to be addressed over protected bike lanes. Sidewalks and crosswalks come before bike lanes. The average person that lives in this area is not a bike rider, they are a bus rider. Bus ridership is up along this corridor. As I have stated in a previous post, biking which I am not against, is not a form of mass transit. It is an alternative form of personal transit. Not many cities which I also posted, have data to back up that bikes area strong form of alternative transit. When you are close in it is fine, but the further out you go the less it has appeal except to the hard-core rider. Even NYC which you would think would score high on the list scores behind many other cities. After seeing riders in NYC rider their bike, there is no way in hell I would ride a bike there. Some of the bike riders are just as bad as the car drivers. The cities money is best spent elsewhere on sidewalks and pedestrian enhancements. A small group can make a lot of noise but not meet the needs of the masses. 

WeGo Public Transit experiences continued growth - The Tennessee Tribune (tntribune.com)

WeGo Public Transit Announces Ridership Increase - Busline News (buslinemag.com)

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

Part of that section is 6 lanes plus a turn lane so there is no reason they should not be able to add the bike lanes, however part of that section has limited shoulders with unprotected bike lanes already. To reduce the traffic down to one lane or eliminate the turn lanes in favor of a protected bike lane would be a bad tradeoff as there are more pedestrians than bikers along this route. Pedestrians should always take the priority.

I know there are a lot of bike advocates on this board but there are a lot more pedestrian deaths in this city that has to be addressed over protected bike lanes. Sidewalks and crosswalks come before bike lanes. The average person that lives in this area is not a bike rider, they are a bus rider. Bus ridership is up along this corridor. As I have stated in a previous post, biking which I am not against, is not a form of mass transit. It is an alternative form of personal transit. Not many cities which I also posted, have data to back up that bikes area strong form of alternative transit. When you are close in it is fine, but the further out you go the less it has appeal except to the hard-core rider. Even NYC which you would think would score high on the list scores behind many other cities. After seeing riders in NYC rider their bike, there is no way in hell I would ride a bike there. Some of the bike riders are just as bad as the car drivers. The cities money is best spent elsewhere on sidewalks and pedestrian enhancements. A small group can make a lot of noise but not meet the needs of the masses. 

WeGo Public Transit experiences continued growth - The Tennessee Tribune (tntribune.com)

WeGo Public Transit Announces Ridership Increase - Busline News (buslinemag.com)

WeGo buses have bike racks on the front too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

Protected bike lanes protect the sidewalks even more too. Narrowing lanes slows people down too. Seems like that would help pedestrians more in both cases.

Pedestrian deaths aren't generally on sidewalks, though. The stretch between Wallace/SouthernKills north to about Plaza Mariachi, but especially the intersection at Harding, are all heavily trafficked via foot, and is extremely dangerous to cross even with the dedicated crosswalk going into Wal Mart. Traffic calming is the very first thing they should do there, followed protecting pedestrians crossing east to west. Just my outsider opinion...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dmillsphoto said:

Pedestrian deaths aren't generally on sidewalks, though. The stretch between Wallace/SouthernKills north to about Plaza Mariachi, but especially the intersection at Harding, are all heavily trafficked via foot, and is extremely dangerous to cross even with the dedicated crosswalk going into Wal Mart. Traffic calming is the very first thing they should do there, followed protecting pedestrians crossing east to west. Just my outsider opinion...

Hence the part where he says, "Narrowing lanes slows people down too." I'm sure whatever designs NDOT proposes will feature narrower vehicle lanes which in turn means wider,  buffered bike lanes and wider sidewalks. NDOT should also consider curb outs, pedestrian islands, and (highly doubtful) raised crosswalks. Given state involvement, we'll probably settle for hawk signals. 

• Like 3

Here is the issue folks and I get where everyone is coming from but when you cut your nose off despite you face you are missing the point. How slow do you slow traffic down. If it is so slow busses are not moving and cars are not moving, then you are back at gridlock. The pedestrian enhancements are for pedestrian crossings and have any of you or many of you walked that stretch of Nolensville Road?  I have as I used to live down there a long time ago and it is not pleasant. Just as the stretch between Harding and downtown is not safe. There are parts with no sidewalks and long areas between safe crossings for pedestrians. I would drop my vehicle off at Bass tire and ride the bus into town. What a freaking mess. This is by the zoo and there are areas that is not included in this enhancement with no sidewalks and few places to cross and there have been pedestrian deaths.

Yes, buses have room for bikes but if every Tom Dick and Mary rode their bikes there would not be room for everyone. I saw this in NYC. They told them no they could not ride. The bus was packed and no room past the 3 bikes or so on the front of the bus. I would not sacrifice car lanes for bike lanes when they are so infrequently used. I drive into town during the day many times and the number of times I see bikes on the road on my trips I can count on one hand. The bike lanes are not being used except maybe downtown ad many times they are on the sidewalk running me off the sidewalk along with the scooters. It is irresponsible bike riders doing this.

Are bike lanes worth the money being spent....probably not? Bikers are very small minority but, on this board, a larger group because there are a lot more urbanist here. You have to be real in your aspirations. Look at the 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, nashvillain_too said:

You won't see bike lanes utilized until the bike lanes are safe. A bit of reclaimed gutter next to 5 lanes of 40 + mph vehicle traffic isn't a real bike lane. It's a dare. Implementing bike lanes like this and then saying, "See, no one rides bikes!" would be like building a highway with cobblestones (or something, IDK). 

Even if the bike lanes are safe, they won't be utilized because there aren't any connections to other safe bike routes. See 12th ave. Unless your start and end destination are along that one linear route, it's not very useful.  Also, what times of day are you "observing" cyclist volumes? If you post up around Wedgewood and Magnolia at peak rush hour, you'll see quite a fair number of cycle commuters. 

I don't even know where to begin with your first paragraph but it seems like you're arguing AGAINST pedestrian safety improvements because it's currently not safe for pedestrians. 

Again, not all streets are designed to be bike streets and have protected lanes, especially Nashville. You ought to know this as you have lived here all your life. I ride or at least have until recently and have enough common sense to know there is not enough road to allow for all that you want to do. Go and find a tape measure and see if you can find some more road somewhere but there will simply never be enough bike rider to justify what you want to do, Nolensville Road is where we were talking about originally and most of those folks want a sidewalk safe enough just to catch the bus. There are areas down there where you have to walk in the ditch or a parking lot. That takes priority over any bike lane as far as I am concerned even as a bike rider. Look at the stats.

Look at my other post as far as Woodmont Blvd is concerned. That road is ill designed for a bike lane, has no sidewalks to speak of, so do you want protected bike lanes there? If you start taking the front yards of the folks there for a protected bike lane, I can guarantee you it will be voted down. They will want sidewalks first.

As a driver I take the back roads to keep from getting stuck on the interstate, as a biker there are roads I do not take. that would be one of them. All it takes is a little common sense and some bikers and Metro officials have none.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Again, not all streets are designed to be bike streets and have protected lanes, especially Nashville. You ought to know this as you have lived here all your life. I ride or at least have until recently and have enough common sense to know there is not enough road to allow for all that you want to do. Go and find a tape measure and see if you can find some more road somewhere but there will simply never be enough bike rider to justify what you want to do, Nolensville Road is where we were talking about originally and most of those folks want a sidewalk safe enough just to catch the bus. There are areas down there where you have to walk in the ditch or a parking lot. That takes priority over any bike lane as far as I am concerned even as a bike rider. Look at the stats.

Look at my other post as far as Woodmont Blvd is concerned. That road is ill designed for a bike lane, has no sidewalks to speak of, so do you want protected bike lanes there? If you start taking the front yards of the folks there for a protected bike lane, I can guarantee you it will be voted down. They will want sidewalks first.

As a driver I take the back roads to keep from getting stuck on the interstate, as a biker there are roads I do not take. that would be one of them. All it takes is a little common sense and some bikers and Metro officials have none.

I'm sure most sane people would love an alternative north/south route in South Nashville. But when you look at the map, what alternatives to Nolensville do you see? In the absence of adding all new non car-oriented infrastructure and development patterns, the only alternative is to diversify the current roadways. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, nashvillain_too said:

But you guys are right. Not many people are gonna commute 15 miles by bike. But commuting is only ONE trip that people take in the course of their lives. Downtown is not the ONLY destination. If you could walk or ride a bike a quarter mile to the store, to the clinic, to your kid's school, to the bus stop, to a bar, and it was safe, pleasant, and easy, wouldn't you do it? Don't you think LOTS of people would love to be able to have that CHOICE?  

Yes definitely, and the only reason that I brought up commuting to work is because that seemed to be the main topic of the conversation.  I've put probably a few thousand miles on my bike over the years, particularly when I was younger so I have nothing against bikes!  If we would look at cities like Denver who's created a wonderful system of bike trails we could learn a lot.  The most obvious thing is that these paths belong in more open areas instead of trying to compete with cars and trucks on regular roads.  The path near my house in Aurora, Co even went through a graveyard which I thought was peculiar at the time but it worked quite well.  There's also a very long bike path that follows one of the interstates that circles the southern suburbs in Denver but it's not right next to the freeway itself, it's off to the north side of the road and it goes on for miles!  It's very popular and I always saw riders using it.  I think that dividing up the roads between cars and bikes is often dangerous and it makes the car traffic much worse, not better.  I was hit by a car while riding a moped when I was in the 8th grade and was lucky I wasn't killed, accidents between cars and bikes are usually a lot worse for the bike riders!   

• Like 1

I know during the Urbanist group meeting yesterday there was a person that moved here from Austin that wanted to commute to work from the East End to downtown but there is no viable route. I will say that is a problem, but number one Nashville is not Austin as Austin is laid out differently and is much more bike friendly. The road system in Nashville is not train friendly, bus friendly, bike friendly or even car friendly as a hub and spoke system it lends itself to gridlock and the river and the rail lines only contribute to barriers in the way of anything that Nashville needs to do.

Alternatives?

The one thing Nashville does have going for it is the park and greenway system that is being created. If there is a viable way to further extend the greenway along the many creeks going south or even parallel to the Interstates that may be a win. I do not know how much room there is or could be to do that. If you look along I 24 there is a lot of dead space along the interstate. Could they do something along the train tracks that run down I 65?  How much could CSX give up for a bike lane? We are talking a bike lane only and pedestrian free. Also, what about liability?

I think Mill Creek is the main creek on the map below that runs through the Antioch area and this would be the perfect line for a bike trial.

Browse GIS data | Koordinates

If you look at the Metro Parks map, it looks as if that is the eventual plan and that is to connect the parks along Mill Creek. It becomes more apparent when you zoom in. Nashville Parks Finder. The Master Plan website is not very useful and does not have a lot of info as far as long-range plans. Master Plan - Greenways for Nashville

I would much rather ride along the park trail than the roads, just as long as the homeless do not take over the trails and block them from usage.

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I know during the Urbanist group meeting yesterday there was a person that moved here from Austin that wanted to commute to work from the East End to downtown but there is no viable route. I will say that is a problem, but number one Nashville is not Austin as Austin is laid out differently and is much more bike friendly. The road system in Nashville is not train friendly, bus friendly, bike friendly or even car friendly as a hub and spoke system it lends itself to gridlock and the river and the rail lines only contribute to barriers in the way of anything that Nashville needs to do.

Alternatives?

The one thing Nashville does have going for it is the park and greenway system that is being created. If there is a viable way to further extend the greenway along the many creeks going south or even parallel to the Interstates that may be a win. I do not know how much room there is or could be to do that. If you look along I 24 there is a lot of dead space along the interstate. Could they do something along the train tracks that run down I 65?  How much could CSX give up for a bike lane? We are talking a bike lane only and pedestrian free. Also, what about liability?

I think Mill Creek is the main creek on the map below that runs through the Antioch area and this would be the perfect line for a bike trial.

Browse GIS data | Koordinates

If you look at the Metro Parks map, it looks as if that is the eventual plan and that is to connect the parks along Mill Creek. It becomes more apparent when you zoom in. Nashville Parks Finder. The Master Plan website is not very useful and does not have a lot of info as far as long-range plans. Master Plan - Greenways for Nashville

I would much rather ride along the park trail than the roads, just as long as the homeless do not take over the trails and block them from usage.

What you're talking about seems a lot like the Mount Vernon Trail here in Alexandria/Arlington. It extends 18 miles north along the George Washington Parkway from Mount Vernon and connects to the C&O Towpath Trail that follows the Potomac north past Harper's Ferry. By far the most used section though is between Alexandria and the 14th Street Bridge where a separated, protected lane carries it across the Potomac next to I-395 and connects it to the bike network in DC. Thousands of bike commuters use it every day to get between Alexandria, Crystal City, Pentagon City, the Pentagon, Arlington, and DC. Unfortunately, it also gets very crowded during rush hour, and it's a multi-use path that is used by runners and hikers too. Also unfortunately, it's managed by the NPS, which has a horrid reputation for maintaining any non-car infrastructure they own in DC. It needs to be about double the width it is to enable pedestrians and cyclists to safely use the trail and give more passing space for faster cycles...supposedly plans are in the works for improvements, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's so bad that an entire volunteer group has stepped up to do basic maintenance like removing branches, clearing the verges, and using a donated asphalt grinder to remove tree root bumps in the pavement.

On 12/16/2023 at 11:35 AM, MontanaGuy said:

The only time when people might consider commuting to work on a bike is when the weather's nice.  In the middle of a cold winter you hardly see anybody riding a bike, even when there's no snow.  It simply isn't practical for the overwhelming majority of commuters.  I lived in two of the cities that rated very high on the list that was posted above, Seattle and Denver.  I was especially impressed with the extensive system in metro Denver which has hundreds of miles of bike trails and I used them regularly when I lived there.  I could get on a bike path right across the street from my house in Aurora and go almost anywhere in the metro area without having to get on regular streets very often.  However, it was far too long of a journey to consider commuting across town to my building where I worked in Littleton which was about 15 miles away.  I see cycling as a recreational activity for the most part and I think it's unrealistic to imagine that it could ever play a significant role in easing our crowed streets.  

I commute much more when the weather is cold...it means I don't have to shower when I get to work. The vast majority of my biking to work though is in the 6 weeks leading up to fitness tests though, which usually happen in the APR/MAY and OCT/NOV timeframe, so maybe that's why! 

• Like 1