New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

Judging by the cars, I would say this is the 70s?  It looks like the businesses on the W side of Monroe just kinda had their butt pointed to the river.  It was heavily industrial and I think most of the cool buildings were preserved, but it would have been cool to see the entirety of 840 was preserved, I never realized there was that massive of a manufacturing building in GR

The archives are looking to digitize as much as they can, but there's just waaaay too much stuff and too few staff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, Zads said:

City has purchased the site for moving the Fire Department training, freeing up the riverfront for redevelopment. Great news for our riverfront.

https://www.crainsgrandrapids.com/news/real-estate/city-closes-on-1-9m-industrial-property-to-relocate-fire-operations-free-up-riverfront-real-estate/

GR also got an earmark for new fire stations.  $5,000,000 IIRC, I know a lot of that will go to the new station on Kzoo and the new facility, but it would be awesome if they moved the fire station right there

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

22 minutes ago, Cookin_peacocks said:

Interesting that it's being phrased that way - I had previously seen it as Ionia would be removed, Division would be shifted west, and the bike path would be built at the foot of the hill. Which is the same idea, just phrased differently.

Just semantics (and street signs/addresses), but it will be interesting to see how the road names work. There's three names to work with - Division, Ionia, and Plainfield. Honestly, the simplest thing might be to call the whole thing Plainfield from the underpass north.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Khorasaurus1 said:

call the whole thing Plainfield from the underpass north

THIS!  As a near-NE-quadrant resident: this has always been confusing to explain to people.  The railyard et al have been gone for more than half a century - normalize the street names already.

Question: is there an overview of what happens just a bit further north when there is no longer a parallel Ionia?  Or is this the same stuff as from 2022?  It looks very similar.413401563_Screenshotfrom2023-12-1914-00-11.png.66331f718d8a9d83229cde2b459612a9.png2143574978_Screenshotfrom2023-12-1914-02-58.png.e4dfe42433ccbfd5d4e7af73816e99b6.png

Edited by whitemice

This, along with a hillside park would be amazing for near downtown, and the residents of both Belknap and Monroe North. Ottawa and Division running parallel makes no sense.

@whitemice, just guessing here, but I would imagine it won't be too hard to get Division and Ottawa to lineup a bit north (lots of space, no buildings in the way):

division.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

This, along with a hillside park would be amazing for near downtown, and the residents of both Belknap and Monroe North. Ottawa and Division running parallel makes no sense.

Hell, if done right this would be good for Creston too. Connecting the three areas with more walkable/bikeable infrastructure. I would love to see the intersection of plainfield and leonard to become more pedestrian friendly. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

I would love to see the intersection of plainfield and leonard to become more pedestrian friendly.

Yep.  Leonard/Monore & Leonard/Plainfield are hostile.  By walking or bike those are part of my daily trips;  I'll often ride the #11, at least in part, so I don't have to cross Leonard.

24 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

it won't be too hard to get Division and Ottawa to lineup a bit north

Certainly looks like enough space.  I wonder what they can do to make the Mason/Division & Coldbrook/Division intersections friendlier.  Coldbrook & Divsion is also a very common intersection for my household; Division is not nearly as bad as Leonard, but with the swoopiness of the road there is little warning for hotdog Motorists -  adding more swoopiness won't improve it.  The light at Plainfield/Leonard backs up Division past Coldbrook making it worse, there always seems to be a Helpful Motorist in the mix who *^%&#@#s up traffic flow to and waves for you cross [aka: get murdered by the annoyed Motorist who is about to use the left turn lane to pass them].

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting quote in Crains. MiEN (who bought the Baker Furniture building on Monroe and are starting a phased move in March) also bought the American Seating campus. 

This quote is interesting:

The firm listed that part of the property (south end of the Baker building) for $10.9 million in late 2022 but has not yet received an offer from a housing developer that aligned with its vision for the site, Bergsma said. He said he is not ruling out developing it himself, but first he wants assurances that the city of Grand Rapids will move forward with its GR Forward and River for All plans to develop the surrounding north riverfront into trails and more mixed-use residential.

Joe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

Interesting quote in Crains. MiEN (who bought the Baker Furniture building on Monroe and are starting a phased move in March) also bought the American Seating campus. 

This quote is interesting:

The firm listed that part of the property (south end of the Baker building) for $10.9 million in late 2022 but has not yet received an offer from a housing developer that aligned with its vision for the site, Bergsma said. He said he is not ruling out developing it himself, but first he wants assurances that the city of Grand Rapids will move forward with its GR Forward and River for All plans to develop the surrounding north riverfront into trails and more mixed-use residential.

Joe

I read that article too but couldn't decide to discuss it (Creston, Monroe North, West Side...)

I would love to see housing on that site, but I also kind of like that they are holding the city's feet to the fire on this. When we talk about riverfront redevelopment it always seems to come with a veil of mystery (at least to me). I would love to see more concrete plans and timelines put out there. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RiversideGR said:

I read that article too but couldn't decide to discuss it (Creston, Monroe North, West Side...)

I would love to see housing on that site, but I also kind of like that they are holding the city's feet to the fire on this. When we talk about riverfront redevelopment it always seems to come with a veil of mystery (at least to me). I would love to see more concrete plans and timelines put out there. 

I agree. If all the sudden the river re-work gets de-prioritized (which would be a shame, but without whitewater, it definitely takes some of the enthusiam out of the GRWW project), it would be bad to redevelop and have a lackluster riverfront.

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I agree. If all the sudden the river re-work gets de-prioritized (which would be a shame, but without whitewater, it definitely takes some of the enthusiam out of the GRWW project), it would be bad to redevelop and have a lackluster riverfront.

Joe

have to wonder if a lot of that was pie-in-the-sky thinking and we'll get a half dozen small/medium scale projects on the water's edge instead of the encompassing vision that River for All/GR Forward envisioned.  The project on the water's edge at the museum is going forward, and likely the city parcel north of 196 will, but what else REALLY will happen?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...