Tallahassee Convention Hotel

Florida

Interestingly, they mention the alternate location for student parking would be the corner of Copeland and Tennessee. At this corner is The Loop, Wendys, and FSU building, and Mike's Beer Barn - which would be leveled to add parking I wonder? I don't see them stacking 4 stories of parking on top of Mike's.

I am also interested in hearing more details, because this would be ONE block down from the new parking garage at Macomb and Tennessee. That strikes me as a bit absurd.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thought strikes. Why doesn't FSU simply pursue an agenda of converting its presently inadequate parking LOTS into multi-story parking GARAGES, instead of charting new locations? The most recent garages built have all been done this way. Again, the lots at College and Macomb would appear prime. There is also much room for modifying the small lots across from the Wescott Building on Copeland and College. There is never enough parking there for special events and evening performances at Ruby Diamond.

If FSU goes ahead with a cookie-cutter parking garage on the Civic Center lot, it will definitely interfere with any grander plans for the area.

Good stuff on these guys

- I think the main reason the Convention center doesnt want above ground parking incorporated into the design of the building is the fact that it is a convention center and not a hotel. The Lobby, and ground floors with high ceilings and huge open spaces would indeffinatly make a garage uncomfortable. Below ground is the only way i have seen them other places. and though i would do nearly anything to add hieght, in this case, the function of the buillding means underground garage to me.

-the tiered lots along college between macomb and copeland are my new favorite for this garage proposal. The hill will allow for several levels with entrances and exits for the huge number of bad drivers that will be parking there. It would add the much needed parking for Ruby D and is far enough away form other projects. And I definatly agree with you that these garages are cookie cutter, this site will force sexy creativity (note: with no interior ramp, a garage can hold more spaces.) I would like to see 2 stories at the copeland side, which is prolly 5 or six stories at macomb.

-Having an official FSU Hotel would be supurb! I cannot believe either FSu or a developer has not moved on this concept!

-Tennessee and copeland does seem to be too close to the new project to be helpful. Distribute the traffic! Distribute the parking!

Good stuff McLane

I'm all for the underground parking garage if the money was there. Does anyone in government know of any matching funds we could get from the state for the construction of a parking garage at the Civic Center? Afterall, state funds built the civic center. That's a question I've had since hearing about all of the controversy with the professor's donation for the Medical school.

My other thought is why don't we explore putting the PAC on the site just south of the Civic Center, a much larger piece of property where the designers can be more creative. I'd like to see a PAC designed that doesn't have to comply with the looks of our not-so-attractive (my opinion) Civic Center.

This way the hotel, could move forward with building a parking garage above surface, and the hotel could sit seperate from it allowing the lobby and such to be on the ground level.

Did that make any sense?

So much of what is discussed & proposed on these threads makes perfect sense! So much sense, in fact, that I wonder why the developers & politicians, et al haven't ever thought of some of these same ideas. They should all be reading our forum for sure! :D Seriously though, I read so many good suggestions here & it bothers me that these great ideas won't ever be known about or even have a chance to be considered. Just like the Marriott Hotel teaming up with FSU like they did up in Lincoln, Nebraska with the "Cornhusker" project....that is an excellent suggestion & an idea that should definitely be considered for Tallahassee!

Nice, that lot would be perfect for the mind of a designer. Then we could move the convention center to the sotuhter corner of the CC lot with a shuttle for its many guest to get to the PAC! Sweetness.

Why use a Shuttle when we could build a covered pedestrian bridge across the street. With lighting, and all of the other bells and whistles that go with neat pedestrian bridges.

So much of what is discussed & proposed on these threads makes perfect sense! So much sense, in fact, that I wonder why the developers & politicians, et al haven't ever thought of some of these same ideas. They should all be reading our forum for sure! :D Seriously though, I read so many good suggestions here & it bothers me that these great ideas won't ever be known about or even have a chance to be considered. Just like the Marriott Hotel teaming up with FSU like they did up in Lincoln, Nebraska with the "Cornhusker" project....that is an excellent suggestion & an idea that should definitely be considered for Tallahassee!

I called Ron Spencer with the Civic Center the other day and he actually returned my call and left me a message. I'll call him as soon as I can on Monday to follow up. But it was my intention to tell him about the Cornhusker Hotel in Lincoln. Maybe we could discuss the possibility of an Osceola, or Seminole Marriott Hotel.

Why use a Shuttle when we could build a covered pedestrian bridge across the street. With lighting, and all of the other bells and whistles that go with neat pedestrian bridges.

Why use a pedestrian bridge when we could have a monorail!

In regards to the height of the skyline, wouldn't putting the hotel in the NW corner of the property along Pensacola St. make it about 50 feet taller? That is a pretty big slope in the parking lot.

I think the main reason the Convention center doesnt want above ground parking incorporated into the design of the building is the fact that it is a convention center and not a hotel. The Lobby, and ground floors with high ceilings and huge open spaces would indeffinatly make a garage uncomfortable. Below ground is the only way i have seen them other places. and though i would do nearly anything to add hieght, in this case, the function of the buillding means underground garage to me.

This makes a good bit of sense. In order to work, the parking would need to be on top of the convention center, and under the hotel, which is pretty hard considering the wide-open layout of good convention space.

Hi Everyone,

I just got off the phone with Ron Spencer, the Executive Director of the Civic Center and Member of the Civic Center Advisory Committee. The subject of our conversation was the Marriott Convention Hotel. I asked Mr. Spencer if the Authority holds meetings open to the public where general citizens can make suggestions and comments. He said they do. The 4th Wednesday of every month at 8:30 am.

Here's the bad news. As we all know the condos have been nearly slashed in half from 96 to 47. Well, it would also appear the height of the building has also... from what appeared to be 20 stories to now 13. Keep in mind people, this is going to be Tallahassee's premier, convention hotel. The reengineering they are doing is nothing more than making adjustments to the foundation of a building that was originally designed to be much bigger. To say the least, I'm very hurt. If this structure is built at 13 stories, not only will it not put a dent in the skyline, but it won't even be as tall as the DoubleTree. It would almost seem pointless to make a big deal out of this. The Civic Center property is prime for a larger, taller building, and they want to give us 13 stories. Words cannot express the hurt I feel inside right now. I don't know if I should show up at the next meeting or just throw in the towel on this city I love so.

How can they not see the error of their ways?

TaureanJ,

I hate to see you upset. I honestly don't get why the height thing is so important. Some of the best buildings in the world aren't more than 5 stories. If it is quality and provides high end hotel rooms, I think it will be OK.

I am glad they reduced the # of condos. We don't need more condos...there are plenty on the way. What Tally doesn't have is a QUALITY convention hotel.

Maybe this will be one...who knows?

StJoe,

On my way home in my car I was beating myself up for allowing this to bother me. Sure, I'm disappointed at the fact that this prime location will likely not rise to its potential, but at least we're getting a hotel. And like you said, some of the most beautiful buildings are shorter.

As it now looks, this hotel will not be the most beautiful structure I'll ever see built. It will become a part of Tallahassee, and I'll grow to love it just as I do this city. I expressed some displeasure with the initial news that the building would be shorter than I expected when I was at work, and one of my co-workers suggested I move to Atlanta. I looked at her and told her, "I could never move".

This may very well turn out to be a great hotel when all is said and done, but it will in no way be our last. We'll have other opportunities to showcase our Southern Hospitality downtown in a grand way. When that time comes, if its the good Lord's will, I'll play a role in its development.

StJoe,

On my way home in my car I was beating myself up for allowing this to bother me. Sure, I'm disappointed at the fact that this prime location will likely not rise to its potential, but at least we're getting a hotel. And like you said, some of the most beautiful buildings are shorter.

As it now looks, this hotel will not be the most beautiful structure I'll ever see built. It will become a part of Tallahassee, and I'll grow to love it just as I do this city. I expressed some displeasure with the initial news that the building would be shorter than I expected when I was at work, and one of my co-workers suggested I move to Atlanta. I looked at her and told her, "I could never move".

This may very well turn out to be a great hotel when all is said and done, but it will in no way be our last. We'll have other opportunities to showcase our Southern Hospitality downtown in a grand way. When that time comes, if its the good Lord's will, I'll play a role in its development.

Keep in mind too, that if a company with the status and reputation such as Marriott is willing to put there name on it, you know it will be a quality product.

At least the 13 stories will tower over FSU's proposed parking garage.

I am not surprised by this development. The earliest plans were for a long rectangle of rooms and condos, and now we will likely have a long, low rectangle. If the building is finished nicely, it will be a lovely addition to downtown, even without the height. This may sound like heresy on Urbanplanet, but height for its own sake shouldn't be our objective as a city. For the new-downtown pedestrian, beautifully appointed edifices will be far prettier than sleek towers. Towers are nice from a distance. Thirteen stories looks good from 200 feet.

UPdate

Hi Tallahassee Forumers:

I believe the 13 story figure is wrong. Yes I got it from Ron Spencer, but my intuition tells me something isn't right with that. No, I'm not as bothered by the height thing, at 13 stories the building would be 190 Feet tall according to documents, that's tall enough to make a dent... my frustration is conflicting information.

Here's why I say this. In the beginning, this was the proposal:

325 Hotel Rooms on 11 Floors with 2 Floors of Residential units (8 Units) the building would have been 13 levels.

THEN they added the extra 39 units to that. Now its not logical to think they they would be able to squeeze 39 residential units in where there would have previously been 8... so there has to be extra "floorage" OR the building footprint must have changed. The Hotel portion of of the building may likely be 13 stories, but the residential area would probably top around 3-4 stories which leads me to believe we're probably going to see a 16 story building... the exact same as we see in the rendering at the beginning of this thread.

MarriottHotel.jpg

What's been proposed recently?(As of January 2006)

• 331 Guest Rooms (Increase from 325)

• 47 Condominiums

• 2 Restaurants (110 Seats)

• 1 Bar/Lounge (65 Seats)

• 13,516 sq.ft. of meeting space

• Build-Out Date: Jan 15, 2008

So what you are saying is that the the 13 stories or whatever it is, is going to be equal to 16 stories? Not that it really matters to me I am just glad we are finally getting this. This particular hotel to me is really going to help Tallahassee out in the long run.

in the footprint in the site plan, what was the smaller, darker rectangle. I could not read it. Is that the acrual building?!

And this is a little bit of sad news...

It seems to read, "Hotel Floor Tower" and I'm not sure what that is. Don't fret... at least we're getting a hotel which will be 190feet minimum.

• 6 months later...

Archived