Tallahassee Convention Hotel

Florida

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just fluff on the front, and even the Civic Center attorney's admit this is a "Dead" project. Nothing new has happened. This is just an attempt on the part of the Current Marriot Group to keep this project in the running to make it more difficult for another proposal to move forward.

This project IS dead.

I watched part of the city commission meeting tonight and it appeared that the developers request for a height variance for this project was denied. There was a request to vote in favor of it, and no one seconded the motion, then someone motioned to deny the variance, and it passed 4 to 1.

I don't have much context, so maybe I am misunderstanding.

The old thread entitled " Tallahassee Civic Center Marriot New Rendering Approved!" has been merged with this existing thread. As TJ has stated, there's really no need to start a new thread for something if a thread already exists that covers the same topic/development.

I watched part of the city commission meeting tonight and it appeared that the developers request for a height variance for this project was denied. There was a request to vote in favor of it, and no one seconded the motion, then someone motioned to deny the variance, and it passed 4 to 1.

I don't have much context, so maybe I am misunderstanding.

^ I agree murphy. I think commissioners were briefed by the Manager's office on the intent of this move, that being the intent to give the false impression of progress by the developer. The commissioner's decision to vote "no" to the increase was a wise decision. It allows other proposals to move forward that are more serious about getting a building out of the ground. I feel if it were a serious project, coming forward with a variance for height increase much the way Plaza Tower has recently done, we would have seen a different opinion come from the commission.

• 1 month later...

"In a unanimous vote Wednesday, the Tallahassee-Leon County Civic Center Authority board authorized its outside attorney, Cynthia Tunnicliff, to file a lawsuit about the hotel. It is seeking a judge's ruling on whether it can end its contract with developer Tallahassee Hotel Associates Ltd."

When I came to Tallahassee in 1996, I was excited by the prospect of a convention center with trade shows, auto shows, home shows..... now this.....

That's one of the reasons why I'll be old and gray by the time a convention center ever sees the light of day, or the PAC for that matter.

We need business here, not just small cute shops in the old Rhodes Furniture or on Gaines, but real honest to goodness business that can drive Tallahassee. Instead, what we get is more distractions in the form of FAMU, and what will the Noles do this Fall, and the rest of it. People here are too comfortable with the status quo, and we have a lot of South and Central Florida refugees that want to scream "NO ORLANDOIZATION" when the County dares to build the great "Skyway" or sets aside land for a development park. Ugh.

I think we need both: The cute/funky shops in Midtown/Gaines AND large businesses and better jobs here.

I believe a smaller privately developed convention center and hotel will emerge first before a city/county funded one will.....across the street from the Civic Center very soon.

I hear you about the no Orlandoization crowd. Tally's problem is that we are near 3 places that have handled growth in a terrible way: ATL, ORL and S.FL. These are our examples and this is what people don't want and in some ways I can't blame them. However there are other ways to grow....smart growth. Examples of this type of growth can be found out West in places like Boulder, Portland, and parts of the Bay Area in CA etc.

Now do our city/county leaders have the foresight or vision to enact growth like these smart places....probably not especially based on what I've learned personally by working w/them directly...and they will just copy the poor planning ideals of S FL, ORL and ATL. :(

This may sound crazy, but I think the key to substantial growth in Tallahassee is the airport. We don't have a river flowing through our city, so our "port" is the airport. We should treat our airport and the surrounding area like Jacksonville treats the St. Johns River. The airport is the key to bringing people, jobs, and money to our area.

The airport has been on the mind quite a bit lately. Tell me this. Do they want passenger traffic at the airport? It almost seems like they don't care that traffic has fallen. With the incredible tool the city has in WCOT you'd think there would be an Airport commercial much the same way there is a utilities commercial, or a TAPP commercial, or StarMetro promotion.

Archived