Tallahassee Convention Hotel

Florida

Wow...this proposal seems to have come out of left field overnight....I saw in Thursday's Democrat that FSU now wants to build a 5 story, 1,000 space parking garage at the Civic Center on the SW corner. At first thought it sounds like good idea. But then again, if we're already getting the Marriott Convention Hotel with it's own parking garage along with the Performing Arts Center on this site wouldn't this additional FSU garage overcrowd this location? I guess I just need to see the proposed site plan showing all the facilites, existing & planned, to get a better feel for this idea. And if FSU does go through with this, it sounds as thought they would abandon the proposed parking garage at Tennessee & Copeland so what do they have planned for that corner??? Hmmmmmmm.......Interesting :huh: Anyone have some inside scoop on this.....TJ????

Finally they posted it...Here's the link to Thursday's Democrat story on this:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../601260326/1003

They just posted it online this morning. I've noticed a trend lately where the Democrat has been delaying the posting of some stories online.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...this proposal seems to have come out of left field overnight....I saw in Thursday's Democrat that FSU now wants to build a 5 story, 1,000 space parking garage at the Civic Center on the SW corner. At first thought it sounds like good idea. But then again, if we're already getting the Marriott Convention Hotel with it's own parking garage along with the Performing Arts Center on this site wouldn't this additional FSU garage overcrowd this location? I guess I just need to see the proposed site plan showing all the facilites, existing & planned, to get a better feel for this idea. And if FSU does go through with this, it sounds as thought they would abandon the proposed parking garage at Tennessee & Copeland so what do they have planned for that corner??? Hmmmmmmm.......Interesting :huh: Anyone have some inside scoop on this.....TJ????

Finally they posted it...Here's the link to Thursday's Democrat story on this:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../601260326/1003

They just posted it online this morning. I've noticed a trend lately where the Democrat has been delaying the posting of some stories online.

What you've said, if true Glenn is a BIG GREEN LIGHT for this Marriott Hotel project to move ahead. This has been the hold up on the project for the past 8 years, the parking garage. If FSU agrees to finanace the parking garage the developer can move forward with plans for the building. No, it won't overcrowd the space because like Kleman Plaza, this garage would be subsurface. I didn't know anything about this article to ask about it at work but I will get right on it. I'm currently in the process of trying to contact the Marriott People to get information on th eplans and add some suggestions.

TJ, the article in the Democrat states that it will NOT be underground due to higher construction costs but rather be 5 stories above ground. I thought they were talking about having 2 parking garages on site which I thought would be too much for that site but now if we're only talking one then that's better. I anxiously await your top-notch investigative findings! :)

I don't understand how the Hotel's parking would be north of the civic center. Thats where the Law School is. It would make more good sense to put FSU's parking there. The odds are FSU's plans for parking will move forward seeing as how FSU has the majory vote on the Civic Center Authority. Having said that, I think it also important to note the parking is badly needed. The parking could be incorporated into the design on the hotel... first 5-6 levels of parking with everything else above... I'd love the height surely... we need to get wise about this whole thing. Space is scarce and the need is there for parking. We need the height to boost our skyline... so bring it on! FSU and Developer need to coordinate this whole thing. It would be awesome if they could work this out.

I don't know are they trying to create some density or something. I mean there is hardly going to be space. Maybe by them having that underground parking it will give some space left, but then again what if it is like the Kleman parking? Fortunately for us we don't have to worry to much because they some miraculous plan to incorparate all of this. I am very anxious to see how all of this will look. ^_^

well the only way I see it working is to stack the hotel on top of the parking garage, which would be awesome because we could then have a taller building. We've still got to coordinate with the Performing Arts Center, because they will be sharing the Civic Center Lot also.

I like the idea too, but that is 1000 fsu students hiking up and down the hill everyday. There would need to be pedestrian bridges from teh second level over the road to convince me of pedestrian safety, but that is not my biggest concern...

It says an L shape garage that "wraps" around 2 corners of the PAC... no way this will work. Redesign it to be less impacting or put it on copeland. I do not want a parking garage blanket over the shoulders of our (7 years away) PAC. I want This parking garage to replace the crapy buildings across the street to the west rather than on the civic center property.

It would help alot for everthing from concerts to football games. Parking for the civic center itself should not be paid for by fsu students fees. Mixed use, mutual gain, sounds gravy... fsu at day, CC and PAC at night! But not as a half witted attempt to solve a square problem with a round stick.

Design must not impose on our big ticket PAC or Convention Center. FSU should recieve help from all those benefieting, adn if they are broke, they should pay with resources.

Well said. To add to what you've already said, I think looking at College Avenue isn't a bad idea, seeing as how we need to clean it up, AND how we've already got projects such as the College Park Commons coming online soon. I think, considering the available properties on that street, we could make some positive improvements between the city's resources and the school's. What are the chances of getting rid of that trashy student bar at the corner of Call and Macomb.

Thats it, Potbellies at COLLEGE and Macomb... all of that, the greek houses between Bronough and Macomb need to go... seriously. They are eyesoars, poorly maintained, loud, trashy establishments. I want to see something better on College. That road is too key to have such trash on it.

POssibly, though my head says something more White and Fla, rather than British lookin (or is colonial the word, i have no idea) Imagine taking college toward ruby diamond, its the house on the right immediatly after macomb. i think i like it for its contrast.

I think it may be neighbors on macomb with this one... but i am really too creative mentally to know ( I make my own thoughts into truth)

I read the article about FSU and the parking garage, and:

• immediately got excited by the prospect that the hotel might actually get built now

• subsequently was intrigued why they would need 2 parking garages on the site

• then wondered why FSU doesn't help finance the Hotel garage and make it bigger than the originally planned garage (underground)

• finally got annoyed that as fast as FSU could seemingly move on this, it will for some reason not enable the hotel project and PAC

The editorial in Friday's Democrat weighed in on the issue with the stance that the offer should be carefully reviewed for many reasons, including the inegration of the PAC and hotel. They also mention the proximity of the garage to the Civic Center, even though it is on the same property. It would be quite a long hike up the hill.

Interestingly, they mention the alternate location for student parking would be the corner of Copeland and Tennessee. At this corner is The Loop, Wendys, and FSU building, and Mike's Beer Barn - which would be leveled to add parking I wonder? I don't see them stacking 4 stories of parking on top of Mike's.

Last- I agree with those of you who have suggested that the hotel be built on top of the garage, and that the garage be above ground. Many building around town have taken this approach (most recently Tennyson), so why has this not been considered an option by the CCA?

A mixed use garage that had an entrance for students with 500 permanent spots, an entrance for CC visitors with 500 permanent spots, and a flex-use center area that could be opened to either side to add 800 more spots depending on the needs at the time would seem to make sense to me. This would be more spots for both parties than they currently plan, and all in one building. Add to that a bus transfer facility, and it should certainly address some transportation needs...

Am I crazy? Sorry for the rant...

That was an awesome rant. I like your ideas toolman! I too wonder why others won't follow the example set forward by the Tennyson, and the Monroe Park Tower, and the Sun Trust Building, even the Doube Tree sits on top of some parking.

I like the idea of having three seperate entrances to the above ground parking area for different uses. And like you, I just say FSU add money to the fund that will go to build the garage and request it be built above ground to save money, consequently that would add some height to the building, which would enhance Tallahassee's skyline and add density to the gap between the Capitol and the Education building.

FSU has a multi-tiered series of parking lots at College and Macomb. Why is this not the proposed location for a new 5-story parking garage? And if capacity is the problem, they can build 6 or 8 or ten stories of multi-use office and parking. I think the issue with the Civic Center lot is EASE. It is virtually ready to build on. All FSU needs to do is tear up the asphalt and start digging for the foundation.

This proposed garage will be exactly like the others that have been built recently on Woodward, at the College of Medicine / Bio-Sciences end of campus on Stadium Drive, and currently under construction at Macomb and Tennessee. There is no cooperation in mind, namely because there is no money for cooperation. Rather than saving expense, any coordinated building effort between the University and Marriott would add cost. IF the University were planning to have a stake in this luxury hotel/condo complex as the OFFICIAL hotel of Florida State University (something our campus sorely needs) I could imagine a collaborative effort in designing the Civic Center property with all future uses in mind. We must hold out to hear more from the University.

Archived